Xbox 360 Saints Row series vs. GTA series?

SteeelWoool

Which do you prefer? I'd have to say GTA. The amount of content in Saints Row 1, 2, or 3 just can't hold up to what they put into GTA 4.

Depends. I would say GTA: San Andreas is better than the Saints Row games but I would say that Saints Row is waaaaay better than GTAIV. GTAIV is too serious and boring and there's not really that much too do, compared to Saints Row and San Andreas.

Personally I prefer saints row to GTA 4, although I do love both Saints row just has a lot more that you can do outside of missions and also its a lot funnier :p The only downside I see to saints row is that it is very cartoony compared to GTA. I think If saints row had GTA 4 style graphics then it'd be so much cooler although it could possibly take away from the funnieness so its a difficult one with my last point!

I think they are both great series for what they stand for.

GTA for a more "serious" approach of the open-ended sandbox experience, Saint's Row is... pants on head retarded fun which you can pick up and just have fun with.

But i think i would go with GTA just for the amount of detail that Rockstar puts into the games.

Well I love both of those sandbox games, but ultimately which game you have a preference for depends upon what you're looking to get out of the experience. Grand Theft Auto has always been better with story, and Saints Row has always been a little bit goofy. Personally, I like Saints Row better because the developers seem to understand that a sandbox is there just for people to mess around in complete with a whole variety of nonsensical minigames that you can just jump right into, unlike Grand Theft Auto where they tend to just string you around a succession of missions.

I haven't played Saint's Row so it wouldn't be possible for me to accurately judge them. I can however say, that Saint's Row borrowed a lot of their ideas from the GTA franchise. Unless I'm completely wrong, let me know if that's the case.

From my experiences of having both GTA IV and Saints Row the Third on PC (and GTA IV also on Xbox 360), I can tell you guys right now that both games are different from each other in some terms of sandboxed gameplay. Saints Row has this sort of fantasy feel to it, somewhat like a game created with a city built for whatever you want to do. GTA however, tries to immerse gamers into a city modeled after real life cities, giving it a more realistic approach.
All the guns and vehicles in Saints Row are pretty unreal, whereas the guns and vehicles in GTA IV were based off of real life vehicles and weapons. GTA focuses more on story and missions than Saints Row does, and as such it has a more serious tone to the gameplay. Saints Row on the other hand, is like a sandbox game where you can mess around for the heck of it, doing whatever you want just because you can.

Personally, if you were to ask me, I would probably say that GTA V will be better than Saints Row IV (graphically, gameplay, and story wise). I never really did like the sexualization to almost everything in Saints Row, and I would rather prefer a more realistic approach to sandbox games like these. Ultimately, it is up to the players themselves to decide which one they like, or even why not choose both?

I haven't played Saint's Row as much I have played GTA but in all honesty I think that GTA is kind of the winner in my book just for the sole reason that GTA is really the best game of its kind as far as popularity goes, not that it makes it the superior series but if we are talking popularity then definitely GTA, but as I have said I haven't played Saint's Row as much but I do hope to get it sometime soon.

I'm no expert on Saint's Row but I know quite a bit about Grand Theft Auto. I feel like they both don't take themselves too serious which makes for fun situations and DLC. Ultimately I think SR is a bit sillier in full scope and GTA is more reality based despite funny radio stations, ridiculous street dialogues and comical cheat codes. GTA shadows SR though. GTA and Rockstar have made such a strong name for themselves that I think games like Crackdown and Saint's Row have to be a little outlandish to compete...which isn't a bad thing.

Having played all the entries for both I can honestly say - I prefer GTA, but I enjoy SR. GTA is more serious overall, but it isn't totally humorless.

In terms of GTAIV it was very serious, but that was part of the appeal for me. It was what made me care about the protagionist which added depth to the choice I had to make. I also enjoyed the city which actually felt alive - I could walk about and see a person randomly come out and clean windows. I could listen to a couple argue over who should have walked the dog or done the dishes. I could find odd little notes and leavings that serve no purpose outside of anything. That doesn't change the fact I dislike whatever idiot it was that had charge over how vehicles worked in the game. Driving cars was a painful experience.

In terms of SR3 - it's actually gotten to be a bit of a trial. Like SR2 had silliness, but it balanced it out with things like poor newbie getting dragged and then being put out of his misery via gunshot to the head. It was a perfect blend. Unfortunately, SR3 was at times too silly and I wasn't okay with that. I also didn't care about the protagonist all that much - but then I've never cared about the protagonist in an SR game. I also got tired of all the sexual innuendos. That said I continued to enjoy taking over territory and building up my base of power. I also liked looking quite stylish while doing so. So yeah.

I am not looking forward to SR4, but I am looking forward to GTA V.

I finished Saints Row IV last night. I like fourth wall, self referential, media critique comedy, so I loved this game.

I would say the series which started as a Knock off of the previously very funny GTA 3 series of games, has carved out its own nitch. GTA (all the IV series of games) became too dark and un-funny for my tastes.

My retro-gamer media reference hackles were tickled to the point of geek-gasm when Saints of Rage started playing on screen.

Saints Row IV is my personal Sand Box game of the generation. It took what worked from the last 8 years, and removed the elements that didn't and combined it into a giant package that gave me 30+ hours of solid gamer addiction. It will serve as a historical landmark... When people ask, how would you describe the games released between 2005 and 2013, you can point them to this one single game, and they could get a little taste of it all. Gawker hispter snark and all.

GTA will always be better! Saint's Row is just a total rip off of GTA. I'm pretty sure almost every mission in Saint's Row has already been in at least one of the GTA's. GTA is to games like the Simpson's is to TV. Nothing will ever be better, come close to being better ever! I still play the other games, I enjoyed Crackdown a lot and you could tell that completely came from GTA. GTA helped so many games become awesome from taking idea from them!

I haven't played any games in the Saints Row series but I have seen some gameplay videos. I think Saints Row is good too, but as soon GTA V releases, it will again become the best series of all time.

I was playing Saints Row 2 earlier and had never played the first one. It reminded me of GTA, only I also noticed what an above poster did, that it seems a bit cartoonish.

GTA will always be better! Saint's Row is just a total rip off of GTA. I'm pretty sure almost every mission in Saint's Row has already been in at least one of the GTA's. GTA is to games like the Simpson's is to TV. Nothing will ever be better, come close to being better ever! I still play the other games, I enjoyed Crackdown a lot and you could tell that completely came from GTA. GTA helped so many games become awesome from taking idea from them!

Now I wouldn't call Saint's Row a total rip off or even a serious copy of GTA. GTA is about a one-man army whose goals may or may not align with those of others in the general vincinity. However, Saint's Row is about a gang going up against other gangs for territory. Sometimes the other gangs are actually a company or the military or something, but at the end of the day it's all gang warfare. Added on top of that is that Saint's Row was always about being rather more silly or random - it's the difference between Shonen and Seinen. In the former you can be over 9000 hp and go beyond the impossible, but in the latter bad things happen and you just try to scrap by. And that's great - sometimes I want to hear a character break-down over the horrors of war, but sometimes I just want to go streaking.

The first Saint's Row did feel like a GTA rip-off but they have gone a different path in the last few games. In Saints Row IV things are just.. bizarre! I think the best GTA game was Vice City, but that's probably just due to the music and the theme. San Andreas is probably the best overal GTA game, even if it wasn't as much fun for me. I'd Take Saint's Row over GTA IV any day though. Well, maybe not the original Saint's Row, but III or IV definitely over a GTA title.

I'll pick GTA over Saints Row any day. I really like the GTA series, it appeals to me more for some reason. I've invested hundreds of hours on the series.

Please don't compare these two games just because they are open world games. GTA series is huge which is being developed by someone who has loads of cash and reserves.

Before GTA V came out I thought Saints Row was more fast paced and fun. But after it's come out, there's no comparison. GTA V took everything fun about Saints Row and added a lot more to it. Saints Row has more fun with the storyline because it's so ridiculous.

Well to start off with they are both good series. I look at it this way though, Saints Row for messing round/having fun and GTA for more serious gameplay or better storylines. I still mess around on GTA though but I find Saints Row funnier to mess around on. Especially with Saints Row 4.

Back