Xbox One Should the 720 support the 360 controllers?

AvalonX

I say YES. I can understand going wireless etc was a detriment to not supporting the older Xbox controllers but IMO the 360 controller is perfect. Many of us I'm sure have some collector's editions. I also have all the Rock Band stuff, a few joysticks etc. I think it would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they do not support them. Its not like you are going to see new Rock Band Guitars any time soon...

I agree with you, they should support 360 controllers. Its expensive to always have to buy new accessories and components for a new console. It will be a great asset if the controllers could be used on a new system. We will have to wait and see what Microsoft intends to do. I hope they system can play old games as well. I think its a great feature when new systems are able to play older generation games. This only increases the value of the system and gives the gamer more variety of games to play from.

A huge, emphatic YES. They can easily make it happen but why would they want to? I can't play xbox games on the 360 very easily so I don't think they'll do it.

I'm tempted to skip a few upgrade cycles as a result, the money game goes both ways and it's pure greed not to be backwards compatible,

Its def a selling a point. New system and not many games so it would only make sense to make the system to support the 360 games and controller. I really doubt they do a major redesign to the controller anyways. But were going to have to wait and see what they do.

I think backwards compability for both games and controller would be excellent. However, if the controller is changed up to much for the 720 it could not be possible to support 360 controllers. Only time will tell!

I think backwards compability for both games and controller would be excellent. However, if the controller is changed up to much for the 720 it could not be possible to support 360 controllers. Only time will tell!
I say YES!!!! It will make things so much easier if they allow people to use the xbox360 controllers. That way they always have an extra one in case they have a friend over or if one goes bad. ESP with how expensive everything can get. Also it would be annoying if you couldn't sense they will almost be the same thing.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use the 360 controllers. It's what we're used to and it's only going to annoy gamers if we can't and they don't want that on top of not having backward compatibility for 360 games. I sometimes think the designers have no idea of what money is worth, the way they charge so much for consoles, deny backward compatibility and now the thought of not being able to use my controllers!

I think that is how it will be for all systems this coming generation. I'm sure a lot of people, including myself, will be upset if all these fifty dollar controllers become paperweights. I think there will be new kinds of controllers released that have enhanced features, but the old ones will still be compatible.

Most definitely support the 360 controllers, if they didn't it would deter sales. I mean, part of the reason I personally bought the 360 during the craze, was because it was capable of playing the old games. That sold me and I used it for old games until I was able to purchase the newer ones and build some sort of a library (I don't play any old games now).

The 360 controller was definitely good (except for the d-pad) but it was only ideal for the kind of games that are made for consoles currently.

If the next Xbox wants to break into territory currently occupied only by PCs (like MOBAs, RTS, MMORPGs etc) then it has to have a controller that can accommodate it. Not to mention, if consoles actually had controllers capable of precise aiming, they wouldn't have to ship the shooters for them with crap like aim assist. Then we could also see crossplatform games where the PC players didn't completely trounce the console players.

It sucks to admit it, but the 360 controller design has run its course. We need something new if consoles are going to evolve and survive.

I really, really think they should be compatible.

I don't know if they will go that route, though. They will lose out on people buying new controllers. I don't know if it's a big enough selling point for them to get away with not supporting them either.

I think it would be great if the 720 supported the 360 controllers, but I'm going to have to guess that they'll probably introduce new controllers with the new system. With the wireless controllers being so costly, I would hope that they only introduce new ones if there is actually a modified layout that will be used regularly with the 720. Otherwise, it just seems like they're pulling an Apple (how they introduced the new charging style plug).

Well, if the new Xbox ends up having new features that a new controller can take advantage of, I'm fully supportive of any changes. I wouldn't want compatibility limiting the capabilities of the new hardware.

Back