Sick of the damn advertisements...

PepperShepard

From
East Coast
Okay, how many of you agree that for a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft, the advertisements are a little bit outrageous? I'm extremely bothered by how they FLOOD our Live home like it's a free service. Well it's NOT. I could absolutely understand if Xbox Live was free and they needed money to keep the systems running, but there are over 20 million gold-memberships world wide.

Let's do some math: For just ONE MONTH of Xbox Live, that's 200 million dollars right there.

How about a year's worth of gold? 1,200,000,000 <---- that's how much Microsoft makes off of Gold-memberships alone-- ANNUALLY! I don't even want to add their royalties for games and what not.

Here's what I think Microsoft should do: Give us more panel customization, gives us less advertisement unless it's in a designated area (movies on the movie tab, games on the game tab).

And stop it with the crappy ads.

Yeah, they are extremely annoying. Not only are you paying a subscription JUST to be able to play online, which is something everyone else is offering for FREE, you're getting flooded with stupid ads for crap you probably don't even care about.

Yeah, they are extremely annoying. Not only are you paying a subscription JUST to be able to play online, which is something everyone else is offering for FREE, you're getting flooded with stupid ads for crap you probably don't even care about.

YES! At least let us have a little survey that allows us to have what we might be interested in.

Yeah, i remember back when Xbox Live first came out it didn't have as many ads as it does now..

What ads are you guys talking about? I turn on my Xbox and start playing games...

Are these ads when you are using other media on the Xbox instead of games?

I thought the ad's were just because I don't have gold, that's really bad on Microsoft's behalf.

It doesn't matter how much money they're making, they could always stand to make more. They could always stand to convince more people to get a Gold Membership, they could always stand to make some extra cash with ads.

It is obnoxious, I wholeheartedly agree with you. But it's also a corporation.

What ads are you guys talking about? I turn on my Xbox and start playing games...

Are these ads when you are using other media on the Xbox instead of games?

Are you blind? When you turn your Xbox, under the main tab there are pointless advertisements. How can you not see that?

I have never noticed any adds on the live page is that where you are seeing them?

Yes?

It doesn't matter how much money they're making, they could always stand to make more. They could always stand to convince more people to get a Gold Membership, they could always stand to make some extra cash with ads.

It is obnoxious, I wholeheartedly agree with you. But it's also a corporation.

You're absolutely right and I agree: It's a corporation and it's what a corporation does. What really saddens me, is that they don't take our feelings as gamers into consideration. Even though it doesn't matter (we'll still continue to game anyways) they should do it, just for the fact that it'd benefit us as well as them. We'd be 10 times more likely to recommend the system to someone else.

So what...they're just on the screen. I don't even really notice them as I just click "Play Game" and what I wanted to do starts. They're not that big of a deal. They're not flashing or popping up when I'm trying to do stuff so they don't get to me.

If you don't like this, I'm sure you freak out while you're driving and you see a billboard.

So what...they're just on the screen. I don't even really notice them as I just click "Play Game" and what I wanted to do starts. They're not that big of a deal. They're not flashing or popping up when I'm trying to do stuff so they don't get to me.

As you can see, I've highlighted some very important parts of what you had to say. First of all, did you read what I said? If not, let me reiterate for you: Microsoft is a multibillion dollar company. They post advertisements like they give us Xbox Live for free. They do not give us options on what we'd like to see or give us questionnaires or give us anything related to the word called "choice". If we could customize our home screen and move stuff around, oh sure. GIVE US ADVERTISEMENTS. But we cannot.

Maybe all YOU do is play your little games, but other people like to actually browse the dashboard without stupid media being in the way. A gaming console is not the perfect opportunity to tell people about Statefarm insurance or credit cards. We get on Xbox to game, not to worry.

Oh hey, by the way, if you've ever decided to watch YouTube, rather than just clicking "Play Game", you'll find that advertisements DO pop up when you're watching a video. And if you've ever had the unfortunate incident of just HOVERING over an advertisement on the dashboard while trying to go to something else, you'd know how painfully loud they make the advertisements (hell why am I wasting my time typing this, you're probably such a "badass" that you won't read it... oh that's right, I'm typing this because you think my complaints aren't a big deal. Well lookey here, PAL. My complaints aren't a big deal; in fact, they're MY complaints. Complaints typically go based off of opinion.... wink wink)

If you don't like this, I'm sure you freak out while you're driving and you see a billboard.

Oh HILARIOUS. I AM LOLING SO HARD RIGHT NOW.

In all seriousness, this goes back to what I have to say about Xbox Live being a free service. Xbox. What is it? Is it a.... gaming system? Yes. Movie and music device? On the offhand, yes? SO WHY AM I GETTING DISCOVERY CARD ADVERTISEMENTS ON MY GAMING TAB? I.. I have no idea, can you tell me? When I drive, I don't look at billboards. They aren't in my way. On Xbox, they are in my way. End of story.

Also, to whoever else is planning on reading this: I never said that I want to do a petition, I never said that if I keep complaining Microsoft will do something.

I just had an idea on what they should do (I already know they won't.)

I know it's how a company works, I know it's great business for them.

I was just complaining. It was just an opinion.

Yes I notice the ads but they're minuscule. I do see your point though but when they're that small it doesn't matter in my opinion.

I tend to find the ads before youtube videos more annoying and insulting. The x-box ads don't bother me too much. If it keeps them from raising my subscription prices, than I'm all for it.

I don't get enraged over ads on the Xbox Dashboard, but I do feel a bit cheated. I mean, we pay x amount of dollars for the console itself and then extra for online capabilities yet we still get ads displayed to us. I feel like if you're a Silver member, sure that is fine. But, paying for Gold isn't cheap and I feel ads should go away since we are paying for their premium service.

They are a business more than anything else, so if they can keep gaining money from things like this, they will keep doing it. It's not like people will stop buying the console because of ads, right? It's a small aspect that even thought ruins the user's experience, it won't affect the sales for them.

Advertisements just suck... anywhere, but they are so much worse on something that you have to pay for. It's like getting ads in the ad-free version of an app. We are paying money to get onto a service that costs Microsoft like, nothing, and they throw more advertisements on that! Ridiculous!

Advertisements just suck... anywhere, but they are so much worse on something that you have to pay for. It's like getting ads in the ad-free version of an app. We are paying money to get onto a service that costs Microsoft like, nothing, and they throw more advertisements on that! Ridiculous!

But haven't you gotten the idea to buy something that you never thought about buying from an advertisement? I'm sure we all have. So in a way they do serve a purpose.

These ads really do not bother me. Honestly sometimes I do not even notice them. I just sign on and go straight to playing. I have too many people out there that I need to beat lol. The ads for new games, I enjoy viewing these. It is informative to me. I love staying on top of what is new. Unfortunately, if you are getting swarmed with ads, see if there is a way to change the amount that come in. Maybe disable them all together. If you do find a way to do this, please let me know. If I happen to somewhere down the line experience being flooded with ads, I would want to pace it or remove it all together as well. If I found out any information regarding this I will inform you as well.

Back