Xbox One Skype to replace Party Chat

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
Today, Microsoft released a ton of information regarding the Xbox One console.

Skype will replace Party Chat to allow you to stay connected to your friends. No longer will you have to miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with your family while you play your games or watch TV. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while doing other stuff on the console. Or enjoy video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.

Well, that is a good thing. I really like Skype and their service quality is always top notch, so this is one of those things that the new Xbox is doing good.

I was expecting Skype to be replacing party chat. Skype is probably better in every single aspect since you can do multiple things like voice chat or video chat. It would be cool if they implemented the little face cam on the bottom right or left corner if you're video chatting, just like FaceTime.

I never use party chat, but that's because I don't know that many people who play Xbox live (or games in general, for that matter). I'm not a huge fan of Skype, but then I don't really care for face time anyway. Still, if people think that it's an improvement, then I suppose it's a good thing that they're replacing it. They already made the update from Windows messenger to Skype on PC a requirement, so it doesn't really surprise me.

It looks like Microsoft is not leaving anything to chance.. I'm already falling in love with the nextgen XBox it seems.

I use skype and it's good, it offers a good connection and quality. It doesn't improve the game, but you will be able to hear the people yelling at you much better.

Only problem here being is that while im party chatting on skype.. MY relatives will start calling -_-

Personally I'm not too impressed by Skype and I think that another service should really come and knock them out of their monopoly but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon. Still, this is going to be an upgrade no doubt and I can't really complain... it might also help me reconnect with some old buddies who don't have Skype but do plan on getting an Xbox One... also, since the Xbox One will automatically come with a camera (the kinect doubles as camera, right?) and Skype provides stable quality it'll definitely make those little mini XBLA party games more fun.

I love this idea Skype is a natural progression for party chat as the connection will be stable and as its a separate platform it shouldn't cause too much lag or other problems with the game you are playing.
Good move this I think.

Not a bad idea at all. I rarely use Skype for video calls, but in the past it has been great. Skype offers a good service to stay in touch with people thus, this is a good move!

I'm okay with this. Skype is great for both face to face calls and voice calls. As long as this service is free though, with a XBL subscription I'm guessing, I'll be fine with it. I hope that Skype won't be taxing to the console's resources and cause video gaming experience to be lessened.

Great idea only that I might get Skype calls while I'm saving the world from mass destruction lol. Anyway its a good way to get more connected and everybody uses Skype nowadays so that wouldn't be a problem for most persons.

I was pretty sure that Skype would replace it since it's owned by Microsoft. The only thing I don't like about this is having some of my family members see me on Skype. :mad: I guess I'll have to make another Skype account for that. I know that Skype saves all of our convos. Microsoft knows so much about me!

I absolutely love Skype. It's what I use for gaming on the PC.
Adding to the Xbox is a definite plus. I might actually play on live now. ;)

their are a few people i xbox chatted with or did a party chat and had 5/10 people in the chat that were not always playing the game.. i dont really care to see the people or them see me most of the time just to chat or talk about setting up a game or about the day... a few people i have never met i know more about than my "friends locally" i.. one of them i txt frequently and have never met before in person.. heck ive chatted with their kid and wife before as well.

i hope they keep a chatt without visually being connected.. i game in boxers mostly not something everyone needs to see

now i have a cousin in college that uses skype to talk so it would be nice to use to chatt with her see how life is going.

the whole chat/skype aspect is very little weight on gaming or even in the power of the xbox one.. if it could be used as a phone service example: novage and use knect as the mic so it was hands free would be a cool option. this would allow you to take a call and not get up or stop a game in progress.. maybe it could have the game in background or very light volume and the phone call would be loud..

it could also and should also allow caller id on screen... my digital cable box does caller id on calls to my tv... i kinda hope i dont loose this feature when in hdmi1 port or whatever the in port is on the tv since it is a box top and uses the cable box as data/tv source it should retain the functions the box top offers and than some.

Skype is a quality service, but there has been a scandal recently that involved them unlawfully using the data from users who utilize the program. I'm not well versed on the issue, but that alone keeps me from letting out a big round of applause for this news. I will say Skype rarely has any issues and has been around for many years, so I expect service would be top notch.

Skype is a quality service, but there has been a scandal recently that involved them unlawfully using the data from users who utilize the program. I'm not well versed on the issue, but that alone keeps me from letting out a big round of applause for this news. I will say Skype rarely has any issues and has been around for many years, so I expect service would be top notch.

it wasn't Microsoft using it illegally.

It was a NSA directive. If that upsets you, then you'll be really pissed to find out that Google, Apple, Amazon and others were also all involved. PRISM.

Ehhh, It'll be okay, sometimes Skpe doesn't have the best connection though so I could see problems with this close to launch, there servers may just go crazy with all the people skyping over so many platforms. I know it's a huge company and can probably support most of the new traffic, but I don't know if they will not run into problems.

Sounds like a great idea!! Skype seems to be merging with a lot of companies of late and the last time I checked, it had merged with Facebook, well not really merged, but working with Facebook in Facebook chat.

I seldom use Skype and when I do it is almost always work related. I hope they plan to have another option as I don't feel like it is worth my time to come up with another solution for this. For non-Skype users it seems like a push towards Skype (which I do not prefer myself, I am sure others may feel the same).

Back