Xbox One So you are Microsoft Exec after watching the Sony E3 conference

AvalonX

Are you in panic? You are undercut but a full $100. Your competition has zero DRM, no online requirement and arguably better hardware (based on specs). Do you try to change anything by launch or has that horse left the barn? I am curious since people blamed the publishers how Sony was able to cut the DRM. It sure looks like this was driven by MS/EA.

I think they need to just make changes to all of their policies. If it's deals made with publishers, Microsoft needs to go meet with them and say, we've gotta ease up on this DRM stuff or our console is just going to get spanked. Then come back with their tail between their legs and announce it to the fans that they'll handle games the same as PS4, and they're sorry. I think this would go a long way with the gaming community.

I feel like there isn't much Microsoft can do in terms of winning the "console war" but they can lessen the damage by trying to fix some of the obvious negatives. Then again, a lot of this seems to be well thought out which is odd because I can't see any focus group or legitimate research that would show the average gamer wanting such things that they are offering for their product.

I'll be critical here and i love the system, with that said their is this. I'd get rid of the of the check every 24 hours (thats is huge problem as of now). Really their is no reason for it and i'm not sure what the benefit of that is to the gamer. I never would have made the Kinect mandatory. Make people who want to keep digital libraries a choice to the gamer and not a forced requirement. You have to match the price of the PS4, no way around it. I think it will be a great system. But let me opt into things when i'm ready and comfortable to do so.

The DRM is the biggest issue. I'm still buying one and i can see the whole, we see the future here. I don't agree with the we see the future here and have decided to force you into it. You alienate the kid market and make the mature market not very happy. Not to mention many game retailers are not going to want to push the system now. What happens when people start buying games on multiple systems? How would this effect their choice between consoles? Microsoft needs to go back to being the system for the gamers and not forget how Sony trying to push the Cell and Blu Ray with a bad price point almost put them out for the count. The moves seem counterproductive when you could let your additional features sell themselves as opposed to this is how it is message. Net Flicks caught on to consoles because a whole lot people loved it It was their and it sold itself. Make these things added pluses that prove themselves on the consoles. Don't push em in it. Its artificial when that happens. But i'm still a fan but throwing in my 2 cents.

No, the Xbox one has more features and also includes Kinect, for me it's a better value. The PS4 does have DRM, it's not know if publishers will use it or not. More powerful, will have to wait and see on that one, so far it's not looking that way. If you blame MS/EA then you also have to blame Sony because they have it but decided not to use it for there own game because of the slack MS was getting.

"Gentleman, we have a problem".

If only they drop the whole cloud gimmick and the DRM thing, i think this would be a successful platform, even if the price stays up there.
Do they really need all these restrictions for the console to work? They could always change it until the release, and i really hope they do!

"Gentleman, we have a problem".

If only they drop the whole cloud gimmick and the DRM thing, i think this would be a successful platform, even if the price stays up there.
Do they really need all these restrictions for the console to work? They could always change it until the release, and i really hope they do!

Cloud is not a gimmick and dropping the DRM is more marketing than cloud is.

The PS4 still has disk, digital and the option for 3rd party online DRM.

We've found out recently the point of the move engines in the Xbox One are actually to uncompress and compress data coming for the cloud on the fly that way it can actually get usable amounts of data with a 1.5 MB/s(Optimal speed) connection.

The whole 3rd party DRM thing is a bogus talking point if I may be frank here. These are the exact same policies we have now with the current consoles. Big deal. The difference is the XBone is making it a requirement for all games. Now that is a big deal (without the sarcasm) Sony deserves the main publics money and will get it, including mine. I have owned and championed the Xbox for a long time..they lost me before the war got started.

Side note - I think they will have to soften their polices, but they still built a flawed system that is built around cloud gaming. I dont see how they can save it.

The whole 3rd party DRM thing is a bogus talking point if I may be frank here. These are the exact same policies we have now with the current consoles. Big deal. The difference is the XBone is making it a requirement for all games. Now that is a big deal (without the sarcasm) Sony deserves the main publics money and will get it, including mine. I have owned and championed the Xbox for a long time..they lost me before the war got started.

Side note - I think they will have to soften their polices, but they still built a flawed system that is built around cloud gaming. I dont see how they can save it.

So because it's been status quo that makes it alright?

Tell me how it's not a big deal when you have to pay a fee to play your used PS4 game online.

So because it's been status quo that makes it alright?

Tell me how it's not a big deal when you have to pay a fee to play your used PS4 game online.

The PSN costs what? 50 a year?..LOL. You also get games with that right? I was told that anyway. The XBone gold is like 60 a year just for the ability to play online..everything is a restriction with those guys. Tell me how you dont see what they are doing is bad? The DRM, check in..etc...I wont list it all.

The PSN costs what? 50 a year?..LOL. You also get games with that right? I was told that anyway. The XBone gold is like 60 a year just for the ability to play online..everything is a restriction with those guys. Tell me how you dont see what they are doing is bad? The DRM, check in..etc...I wont list it all.

Because I have a basic understanding of what is actually going on and I'm intelligent enough to know DRM is not inherently evil?

Does every game on PSN have dedicated servers? No.
Does Sony offer Sony devs the ability to use Sony data centers to run dedicated servers and cloud computations for free? No.
Does Sony let you share your games with people that live 1000s of miles away digitally at anytime or anywhere? No.
Will Sony offer even close to the feature set or support of Skype chat on PSN? No.
Will Sony let you give your digital games to anyone on your friends list for free? No.

On top of this you do realize that PSN+ is now required to play multiplayer online on the PS4?

There are clear benefits for people that won't be affected by the requirements of Xbox One.

PSN Plus will be around $60 a year when the PS4 comes out. E3 conference said, "less than $5 a month."

I was honestly not surprised when Sony announced that they would start charging for MP with PSN+. It is a good service but I think its intent was always to get people used to the idea of paying for a subscription service on Playstation. It also makes sense for them if the want to invest back into PSN and try and match the quality that Microsoft's Xbox Live service brings to the table.

I did find it funny that they slipped it in there when people were going nuts when they announced no DRM or always online though. Pretty sly of Sony lol.

Don Mattrick needs to stop talking until Gamescom, he is only making the situation worse imo

Because I have a basic understanding of what is actually going on and I'm intelligent enough to know DRM is not inherently evil?

Does every game on PSN have dedicated servers? No.
Does Sony offer Sony devs the ability to use Sony data centers to run dedicated servers and cloud computations for free? No.
Does Sony let you share your games with people that live 1000s of miles away digitally at anytime or anywhere? No.
Will Sony offer even close to the feature set or support of Skype chat on PSN? No.
Will Sony let you give your digital games to anyone on your friends list for free? No.

On top of this you do realize that PSN+ is now required to play multiplayer online on the PS4?

There are clear benefits for people that won't be affected by the requirements of Xbox One.

EVERYTHING you listed is conjecture. You dont know how Sonys servers are going to work let alone the XBones servers?! You also don't know how Sony will handle digital content. You are jumping to conclusions. None of what you stated is fact. <Removed> And SKYPE??? Your worried about SKYPE..the free service you can use right now on your laptop? SKYPE? BTW, you have no idea how Sony will handle the SKYPE program. If people want SKYPE then they will have it on the PS4 no doubt.

Stay on topic Aintgonnahappen, please do not attack character. See the forum rules #1. Stick to the topic.~PBescabar7

EVERYTHING you listed is conjecture. You dont know how Sonys servers are going to work let alone the XBones servers?! You also don't know how Sony will handle digital content. You are jumping to conclusions. None of what you stated is fact. <Removed> And SKYPE??? Your worried about SKYPE..the free service you can use right now on your laptop? SKYPE? BTW, you have no idea how Sony will handle the SKYPE program. If people want SKYPE then they will have it on the PS4 no doubt.

Stay on topic Aintgonnahappen, please do not attack character. See the forum rules #1. Stick to the topic.~PBescabar7

It's not conjecture by the way.

Sony doesn't have the server infrastructure to offer what Microsoft is offering developers globally, Sony has pretty much shown they are keeping the same digital DRM as the PS3 and Skype is owned by Microsoft and they would not let it on the PS4.

It's not conjecture by the way.

Sony doesn't have the server infrastructure to offer what Microsoft is offering developers globally, Sony has pretty much shown they are keeping the same digital DRM as the PS3 and Skype is owned by Microsoft and they would not let it on the PS4.

Still dude..Skype. Woopty-Do.

support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1030/~/play-purchased-content-from-different-accounts

pretty sure also you only get to pay the free games on psplus is if you keep subscribing to it.

Back