Spam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claptrap

So, there's been a lot of spam lately about things completely unrelated to even videogames lately. I'm sure the mods are aware, but I think it's worth pointing out in a thread.

I had a forum once too and it was swarmed with spam, the best solution is to add a silly simple question only humans can answer to the registration. I don't know if there's one already but just having something like "What is 2 + 2?" really helps cut down on spammers, but having something more unique could be even better. Maybe something like "Who makes the Xbox systems?" or I dunno.

Regardless, the spam's becoming increasingly more frequent and those type of questions in registrations really help prevent automated spambots from registering, in my experience. It's something to consider.

I saw a captcha for a chess website on reddit the other day. It made the user move a chess piece to get checkmate. Something relevant to the forum like Cpaltrap mentioned would be a good idea imo.

3DSv5iA.jpg

member ad76mo10.3111 is a spammer and is posting in thread's not making new ones so it may take a little digging..

you may want to ip ban these accounts...

i will agree a human factor for accounts will cut down on this a ton..

That guy is spamming a lot and not even in English, it's getting rather annoying.

I've been reporting every spam post, need to get rid of all that crap.

Hi guys.

So I don't know if anybody remembers me but I just wanted to update you guys regarding the spamming that has been happening lately.

As you might realise, I'm not very active on here at all as I mainly moderate and spend my time on the sister site (PS4Forum.com), but occasionally I'll pop on here from time to time.

But I have noticed the tremendous amount of spam that has happened here as of late, and honestly I have no idea why something has been done about it.

Anyway, I have deleted all the spam that (did) exist. That means over 100+ spam threads have been removed and over 50 spam members receiving the ban hammer from yours truly.

I truly do apologise for the amount of spam that has happened lately and for nobody doing anything about it. But hey, at least it's being sorted out :)

Thanks guys.

Got a few more spammers on here.

Suggestion, decrease the time it takes to report a post. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time waiting to report something :p

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 41 seconds.

I've deleted the latest batch of spammers and placed bans on them. Well most of them. For some odd reason, I'm unable to make any changes to the "Xbox Other Systems" section so I cannot delete spam there. Maybe another Moderator can?

Thanks for putting the SPAM hammer down on those jerks, its a pain in the neck when it infiltrates the site like it was. Surely they could find something better to do with their time than spamming a good site.

No problem.

And just to let everybody know, I'll be here for the next day or two deleting the rest of the spam and tidying things up. I'll be going through old threads and posts too to clean that up for you guys and gals :)

Sounds great! Thanks for keeping us posted!

I've deleted the latest batch of spammers and placed bans on them. Well most of them. For some odd reason, I'm unable to make any changes to the "Xbox Other Systems" section so I cannot delete spam there. Maybe another Moderator can?
i can't delete things on some forums either.

Thanks, mods. I've been trying to flag the spam I notice, but you guys have been killing it pretty quickly lately. I haven't seen nearly as much spam as a couple weeks ago. It's always nice to see the forums de-cluttered. :]

Just report any spam you see, we will do our best to take care of it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back