Xbox One Steam Box: Is it even a competition?

thecreed4life

Yup, it's been a good ride for the Xbox One and PS4, being able to sell over a million consoles in their respective launches. So with that in mind, I'm just wondering from your views: Is the Steam Box even a competition? For those not in the know, Steam Box is Valve's pre-made PC machines that's made to connect to the HDTV with ease. Steam has The Big Picture mode where it uses a different UI to make good use of the HDTV. Steam Box was made to make it easy for gamers to connect their PC games to the HDTV.

But yes, I ask: is it a competition, now that PS4, Xbox One and the Wii U are out? Can it beat the Xbox One?

My thoughts: We'll see how much Steam Box will sell when it comes out. As of the moment, Valve hasn't released the Steam Box so we'll have to wait and see.
But Xbox One has a lot more features than the Steam Box, so I'm not really sure if it's even competition.

While it's a unique idea, I don't see it providing any kind of competition towards the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox ONE. Most people who have consoles, do it because they most likely have both a computer and a console. While the Steam BOX is made to connect to HDTV's and play in the Living Room as opposed to a computer room, the actual PC aspect of it isn't really going to WOW! normal console players. When the average person gaming on a console is using a TV far larger then most Computer Monitors, there isn't really a point, since resolutions are going to be widely stretched. Also, one of the major things that's gonna defer any kind of console player from switching over is the Steam Controller. Personally, I find it absolutely ugly, but hey, that's just me. We'll see where it goes, but I doubt it's gonna be super big.

The price point will be a huge factor in its success, but I think it will still do reasonably well even if it's more expensive than the rest of this new batch of consoles.

When you consider how cheap games are on Steam, it could definitely offset a higher initial price, particularly for those that buy a lot of games. While I'm not 100% on this, I think games have the capability to be modded on the Steam Box, so that's another big bonus. And since it's basically just a purpose built PC running the Steam OS, it can also be modified and upgraded like a regular PC. That does sound appealing to me.

It's too early to tell, since we don't know much about it, but I think it'll definitely be much more competition for the 'big 3' than something like the OUYA turned out to be.

The price point will be a huge factor in its success, but I think it will still do reasonably well even if it's more expensive than the rest of this new batch of consoles.

I agree with you on that. Price can make a big difference in this. Since the games on steam are mostly cheap compared to others and it is generally cheaper to have a computer. But still I want to try Xbox One. It's still too early to judge this anyways. We just have to see in the next few months how this will turn out.

When you consider how cheap games are on Steam, it could definitely offset a higher initial price, particularly for those that buy a lot of games. While I'm not 100% on this, I think games have the capability to be modded on the Steam Box, so that's another big bonus. And since it's basically just a purpose built PC running the Steam OS, it can also be modified and upgraded like a regular PC. That does sound appealing to me.

The prices really are cheap so to say on steam. I hope they can integrate this on Xbox One. But it's still too early. The progress that these 2 consoles (Xbox One and PS4) will make a big impact on the gaming industry. We might not know, they might develop something better than Steam.

here we go again. instead of being glad to have yet ANOTHER option to play our video games on, we start debating on whats better or worse.

here we go again. instead of being glad to have yet ANOTHER option to play our video games on, we start debating on whats better or worse.

First of all, it's not "Another Option" it's a pre-built COMPUTER. You know, the thing you're viewing this forum on. Second, it's not a debate on which is better or worse, it's a question of will it be considered a competitor of the new consoles. Meaning, will it become popular enough or just end up being a small round of purchases and over all considered a flop.

It depends if some would consider it an option. For me, it will depend on the price. Still, thinking about it, maybe it can be another option for playing games because oi the Steam Box is made to make it easy to access PC games like they were downloaded games on a console, then by golly it might actually be a great option too. I can see that Valve is integrating the world of PC into the living room. We don't know much yet about the Steam Box's features.

Heck, how about the SteamOS? I think Valve's got something planned that can really gives us a great option. If it means being able to download and play the PC games I got on my Steam account with ease, then I might consider getting the Steam Box.

If it means being able to download and play the PC games I got on my Steam account with ease, then I might consider getting the Steam Box.

Hook up your Desktop/Laptop to a large Television that features HDMI connections, or has a DVI/VGA connector. Congratulations, you now have a SteamBOX before anyone else. As I stated earlier, while it's a pretty neat idea, it's generally just another way for Valve to make a good amount of money. This will be branded as the "STEAM BOX" which will be fully associated with Valve and their partners. However, seeing as it's going to be like that, problems could arise like not being able to run games that aren't on Steam. So any game that requires Origin might be left out, so for some people who really enjoy Sims, Battlefield, or even the new Titanfall game coming out, this could be a huge problem. However, like you said, not much information is out regarding the features yet.

Hook up your Desktop/Laptop to a large Television that features HDMI connections, or has a DVI/VGA connector. Congratulations, you now have a SteamBOX before anyone else. As I stated earlier, while it's a pretty neat idea, it's generally just another way for Valve to make a good amount of money. This will be branded as the "STEAM BOX" which will be fully associated with Valve and their partners. However, seeing as it's going to be like that, problems could arise like not being able to run games that aren't on Steam. So any game that requires Origin might be left out, so for some people who really enjoy Sims, Battlefield, or even the new Titanfall game coming out, this could be a huge problem. However, like you said, not much information is out regarding the features yet.

Except that an actual steam box is not using its resources for non gaming computation or OS related workload.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for seeing a GNU/Linux gaming console that actually does something new for a change and doesn't cost a fortune, but at the moment it just doesn't really qualify as competition. The "Steam boxes" or whatever the final name will be are essentially nothing more than glorified gaming PCs.

They quite literally are just desktop hardware in a fancy box and a questionable pricetag. Which means it doesn't have the advantage of "consolidated" hardware either, since every configuration is different, and it depends on the manufacturer to actually support the configuration, and provide sufficient drivers for the hardware they decide to include. If Valve wants to succeed, they either have to make the price REALLY low (sub 400$), or make the concept so appealing to customers that they'll be willing to abandon their PCs/Tablets/Xboxes/Playstations in favour of a Steambox.

Definitely not a competition for the consoles. Console gamers want their consoles for things like the exclusive games and because a console is almost always a "hassle free" experience. With a PC you have to deal with drivers, updates, patches, mods and you also have to know a bit about hardware if you want to upgrade your parts.
I like the Steambox, but I'm not too sure if it's going to be the success Valve expects it to be.

Definitely not a competition for the consoles. Console gamers want their consoles for things like the exclusive games and because a console is almost always a "hassle free" experience. With a PC you have to deal with drivers, updates, patches, mods and you also have to know a bit about hardware if you want to upgrade your parts.
I like the Steambox, but I'm not too sure if it's going to be the success Valve expects it to be.

I like the idea of the Steambox for this exact reason, it's why I stepped away from PC gaming. Just to much money being sunk into my computer and I didn't have enough free time to upgrade when I wanted to play games to their fullest potential. The Steambox depending on it's price will definitely do better than oh let's say the Ouya, partly because of the sales and reputation that Steam has but it's not huge competition for the consoles.

It might be a competition to the next-gen. Why? Think about it: Steam is planning to make PC games part of the TV room. See, for many years, there's been that notion that PC games are only meant to be on computer monitors. That's it, no questions asked. But since Valve came in with Steam, they've been making PC games accessible, affordable and convenient for gamers. Now, they're being ambitious and want to make PC games part of the living room. They're even building the Steam Box to feature specs that can make even those graphic-heavy games playable without you not doing a thing. They're even making it upgradeable if you want but if not, it's still going to be decent enough.

What Steam is trying to do is make the PC an experience easy for gamers who just love that hassle-free experience, like what malachite003. We don't know yet if it will be successful but if gamers start buying the Steam Box day by day, then there is a chance it's a competition. We'll see.

It might be a competition to the next-gen. Why? Think about it: Steam is planning to make PC games part of the TV room. See, for many years, there's been that notion that PC games are only meant to be on computer monitors. That's it, no questions asked. But since Valve came in with Steam, they've been making PC games accessible, affordable and convenient for gamers. Now, they're being ambitious and want to make PC games part of the living room. They're even building the Steam Box to feature specs that can make even those graphic-heavy games playable without you not doing a thing. They're even making it upgradeable if you want but if not, it's still going to be decent enough.

What Steam is trying to do is make the PC an experience easy for gamers who just love that hassle-free experience, like what malachite003. We don't know yet if it will be successful but if gamers start buying the Steam Box day by day, then there is a chance it's a competition. We'll see.

You make a good point there. Steam has been doing that for the last few months. They enabled The Big Picture mode, they're announcing Steam Boxes, they've made the Steam Family Sharing and now, they're making Steam In-Home Streaming in Beta next month. They're preparing to really move PC gaming into the living room. We'll definitely see if Steam Box is going to be any good. If this means I can enjoy a round of Team Fortress 2 over a bowl of popcorn, I'm in!

First of all, it's not "Another Option" it's a pre-built COMPUTER. You know, the thing you're viewing this forum on. Second, it's not a debate on which is better or worse, it's a question of will it be considered a competitor of the new consoles. Meaning, will it become popular enough or just end up being a small round of purchases and over all considered a flop.
No need to be a sarcastic condescending douche.

It IS another option. My brother won't even consider a PC because he "cant plop down on the couch with a controller and play on my TV". The steambox WILL be a prebuilt computer, but so are the XBOX and PS4. they are prebuilt computers with initially ONE set of very specific components. The difference between a console and a PC for now is that a PC has millions of different hardware configurations, where each console has one and eventually may evolve with newer processors etc.

SO yes, the steambox, even as a prebuilt PC, WILL be a gaming console and WILL be another gaming option for people who having gone fully digital and want to experience "PC gaming" from their couch.

We all know people like to turn arguments from "will it succeed" to "mine is better than yours" and it will inevitably happen with the steambox too. Even your previous argument gives examples of why consoles are better than pcs, NOT why a prebuilt PC directed at console gamers would be a viable option for those looking for something more powerful than a console but not wanting to dedicate a monitor, learn keyboard commands etc.

It IS another option. My brother won't even consider a PC because he "cant plop down on the couch with a controller and play on my TV". The steambox WILL be a prebuilt computer, but so are the XBOX and PS4. they are prebuilt computers with initially ONE set of very specific components. The difference between a console and a PC for now is that a PC has millions of different hardware configurations, where each console has one and eventually may evolve with newer processors etc.

SO yes, the steambox, even as a prebuilt PC, WILL be a gaming console and WILL be another gaming option for people who having gone fully digital and want to experience "PC gaming" from their couch.

We all know people like to turn arguments from "will it succeed" to "mine is better than yours" and it will inevitably happen with the steambox too. Even your previous argument gives examples of why consoles are better than pcs, NOT why a prebuilt PC directed at console gamers would be a viable option for those looking for something more powerful than a console but not wanting to dedicate a monitor, learn keyboard commands etc.

I have a gaming PC and if I wanted I CA and at it o the the tv while sitting g on the couch. Not to mention Big Picture mode

I have a gaming PC and if I wanted I CA and at it o the the tv while sitting g on the couch. Not to mention Big Picture mode

of course you can and i do that all the time too using HDMI out. Admittedly though in my brothers defense, that means unplugging all the wires from the back of the PC, under the desk. Moving everything across the house to the room with the TV in, and setting it all up again. booting etc etc.

You never notice that if you leave your pc running in your game room or are used to booting and loading the game quickly. for some reason it just feels like it takes longer when you do it from the living room though.

Yeah, that's another way to do it. But the idea of the Steam Box is it already builds something for those who aren't in the mood to do that. Steam wants to get in on the console market by making a PC that's already built and all you need to do is connect it. Maybe that's why the SteamOS they're making is designed to go with their Big Picture mode. Steam's being ambitious here. But like I said, it might be a competition and another option to console gaming. I'd say they're transitioning the boundaries of what is PC and what is console. Only time will tell if Steam's big goals will work. We'll just see when those Steam Boxes start coming in.

Yup, you make a good point there. Steam's giving us another option. An option that most gamers, who like the PC but have no money to build one, can finally have. Steam is vying to have the PC gaming into the living room. I know what Steam is doing can upset some PC gamers but I'm actually liking where it's going. I mean, imagine this: SURGEON SIMULATOR 2013 on your TV. PC-only games like Shadow Warrior, Team Fortress 2 and EVOLAND will finally make their HDTV debuts when Steam Box hits the market. Console gamers can have a chance to play 'em because Steam is making it accessible.

So you know what? Competition or not, if the Steam Box makes it all the more easier to plug it into my TV without doing anything other than just plug and play, I'll get it alongside the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. Seriously, a pre-built PC that's made to just plug and play like a console? I'm all for that. Give me that Steam controller and I can finally have a chance to play PC games that I dreamed of having on the screen. Yup, I support the Steam Box.

Back