Xbox One The beautiful and intricate damage modeling of ‘Forza 5′

Landshark

Website
www.youtube.com
I found this rather entertaining to read. I'm a big fan of accurate damage models and usually play with full damage turned on. However, I noticed a lack of mention in regards to non-cosmetic damage (i.e. damaging internal parts, suspension, engine, etc). While I'm sure it's in the game, I would like to learn more about that aspect of the damage model in Forza 5.

Following 2011′s Forza Motorsport 4, it became more apparent than ever that Turn 10 Studios and Microsoft had surpassed Polyphony Digital and Sony’s classic series, Gran Turismo, with the premier simulation racing franchise in the video game industry. It’s for that reason that fans were thrilled to hear that Turn 10 Studios would be bringing Forza 5 as a launch title for Xbox One.

As we prepared ourselves to race, we looked on in awe as the camera swooped around our selected vehicle, showing off the most detailed automobile modeling we’d ever seen. The announcement trailer that Microsoft showed off displayed the most gorgeous graphics seen in a racing game to date, but what it didn’t show is perhaps the most compelling part of the game’s presentation. During our time with the game, we noticed tight controls, lush visuals, and an excellent sense of speed, but it was the damage modeling that really impressed us.
According to Phil Frazier, Group Program Manager at Microsoft Studios, the damage modeling is extremely sophisticated. “It’s [real-time]. We have multiple layers of damage,” he says. “Because of the power of the Xbox One, what you’ll notice is you have a layer of dirt and dust that accumulates on your car, so even if you don’t make contact with anything during the race, your car is going to get dirty.”

We witnessed the intricacies of the damage system firsthand, and learned that what starts with a little dirt from driving off-road can quickly turn into much more. “You’ll see a little bit of oil, a little bit of dirt and dust accumulating on the tires,” Frazier says. “Then, as you start to scratch the cars, you have a layer of surface damage, which won’t actually dent the car, but it will scrape it along the side. Then you start to have the actual physical damage, where the car will press in and you’ll see the body take dents, and you actually have the possibility for your car to start dropping part — like the mirrors, the fenders, and the bumpers will actually start to fall off. You add all that together, plus the glass, and you can really do a lot of damage over the course of a race. It’s a really nice effect and people have been looking for that for years, so we’re glad that the power of the Xbox One is finally giving us the ability to deliver that level of realism.”

As we raced around the track, we also noticed another big improvement: the Xbox One controller vibrated in the triggers to offer more precise feedback, another feature of Xbox One that Frazier was also quick to praise. “The great thing with the [Xbox One] controller is that there’s like 40 improvements to the controller itself,” he says. “Our personal favorite on the Forza team are the haptic motors inside the triggers. On the gas side, you can feel whether or not you’re over-exerting the throttle, and on the brake side, you can feel whether or not your wheels are slipping. The combination of these really helps you feel the road better when you’re driving, so it’s great working on a project that shows the benefits of the haptics overall.”

In talking with Phil Frazier, it was clear that the Forza 5 team worked to create an experience that not only remains loyal to the franchise, but also takes full advantage of the new power and features of the Xbox One. Our time with Forza 5 gave us a vibe of upgraded familiarity. The haptic engines in the trigger did wonders to give us a better understanding of our car, and the game’s scenery was nothing short of beautiful. As we pulled past the finish line, the camera zoomed in on the fender of our Ferrari, showing off all of the damage we had just caused to the beautiful machine, making us feel a bit guilty for what we had done to the digitally-rendered automobile. With hundreds of cars beautifully rendered in the final game, as well as the most true-to-life simulation mechanics in the industry, Forza 5 could very well prove to be the car enthusiasts’ dream come true when it launches.

Source: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2013/10/02/collaboration-expertise-produce-enhanced-sensing-in-xbox-one.aspx

i dont think internal damage is going to be part of the game... sorry i didn't read the article:(

its a racing game for the most part 90+% of the general crahes we would have in game would leave most cars unable to go on in game or in real life.
scrubbing a wall in real life at speed would basically can opener the side of production cars. comming off a turn and scrubbing a wall or barrier does a ton of damage.

i will go further.. rumble strips on allot of tracks are actually quite high.(think corner banking) to the point if you crossed over them like we do im racing games you would have no suspension at all and possibly no cross member or oil pan. but in games like forza and various others jumping the strips is the fastest track.

if you are unaware of what i am talking about.
5321888930_68b4d2698b_z.jpg

stock-photo-rumble-strip-circuit-gille-villeneuve-506599.jpg

I'm with the Shark, I can only go but so realistic or I'd barely make it around the first turn.

Hahah Sugarhill. Same here! If the game were too realistic I'd get to frustrated and quit. I do appreciate the features like the dust around the tires and a little wear and tear, but if the game is too hard to complete then where's the fun? I play for the escapism and not the realism.

i could honestly do without the dust and tire wear. give me forza4 with 600 legit cars and the power of the coud/ai.. with legit reskin of cars for the xb1.. just the 60fps and all that graphics wise with all the new tec would be a killer racing game.

at some point they will cross a line where it becomes a simulator rather than a racing game. at that point it will be hard to enjoy the game for what it is. i am into racing big time but i dont spend my free time in a simulator or remotly enjoy simulators. their are some great racing sims out their and some real world racers are on it allot... real money is won and such. this is console play lets keep it fun and no so serious.

Actually, I don't even need all of the cars as that is just one more in game achievement that I'd have to chase in a game that is a notorious grinder. I know you love the cars though. I'm more about the tracks for some reason. I look at 4 and the beauty of the game and I want to take a tour of the real tracks. No races, just the tracks, especially Maple Valley.

Oh I agree the tracks are amazing but they are not true in the sense of how they are in game with real life aspect.

I will use road Atlanta as my example. The last 4 turns are so miss represented in games. That long stretch is actually a small hill climb to a very sharp 600yd ish down hill into a very flat left. Into a steep uphill with a right turn. Their is also a hoop at the top of the hill used for formula drift. The top of that hill is steep drop into a right iirc has a slight bank onto front straight.

In the game it is a straight with a slight downhill with a flat almost banked left into the uphill right but they don't show u how steep that climb is in game.

I would rather play on a track with fun light modded cars than ultra rare pagani or Lamborghini Give me a mugen s2000 or a lotus exigue or 400hp sti or evo. One thing forza does we'll is have a ton of cars but does not achievement every one. I will admit the tons of 6+ lap 30 min races are a grind and just nonsense but past that I will miss the tons of Hondas and jdm cars

I'm with the Shark, I can only go but so realistic or I'd barely make it around the first turn.

Heh no kidding. I do enjoy realism but i too can only take so much or else its just too hard for me and too hard to get immersed into aswell. I think the real part of realism they should focus on is the sound profiling and of course, the crashes. Burnout: Paradise is a real model of all i love in racing games. Beautiful and innovative crashes, amazing sound, really good graphics, etc. Burnout had a real sheen to how everything looked and it was all very crisp.

I think i would prefer for them to just keep the arcade feeling Forza has, and that is one of the reasons that it can keep competing with Gran Turismo because of how it offers a different feeling but stays in the same genre. Realism is overrated.

hear is what forza could give the community and put itself a league ahead of every sim/arcade racing game.

1 track: ebisu circuit (the whole thing)
ebisu_circuit.jpg

2: jdm 90's era cars. fc,fd,supra,skylines,300zx,various,240sx
s13 coupe,fastback,convertable,ps13,typex x, s14 zenki,s14kouki,s15 spec r, s15 autec
ae86
call it a drift pack. charge 20bux or something but give that community what it wants.

that whole tarck itself is amazing. for a car enthusist it really gives everything. their are fast sections and really technical portions tons of height transitions and some banking.. but their is multiple tracks at the same place.
the community over at forza pushes hard for drifting. if turn 10 catered to them 1 time it would add allot to the game(i hate to say it)

even if your not into drifting.. this should make you appreciate the track
[video=youtube;R8PZ0j6C8xU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8PZ0j6C8xU[/video]

Oh I agree the tracks are amazing but they are not true in the sense of how they are in game with real life aspect.

I will use road Atlanta as my example. The last 4 turns are so miss represented in games. That long stretch is actually a small hill climb to a very sharp 600yd ish down hill into a very flat left. Into a steep uphill with a right turn. Their is also a hoop at the top of the hill used for formula drift. The top of that hill is steep drop into a right iirc has a slight bank onto front straight.

In the game it is a straight with a slight downhill with a flat almost banked left into the uphill right but they don't show u how steep that climb is in game.

I would rather play on a track with fun light modded cars than ultra rare pagani or Lamborghini Give me a mugen s2000 or a lotus exigue or 400hp sti or evo. One thing forza does we'll is have a ton of cars but does not achievement every one. I will admit the tons of 6+ lap 30 min races are a grind and just nonsense but past that I will miss the tons of Hondas and jdm cars

Now, see you know all of those details about the tracks. Looking at 4 makes me want to go see the tracks to see the differences! That's what the biggest surprise of the game was for me. The outside interest it created.

Heh no kidding. I do enjoy realism but i too can only take so much or else its just too hard for me and too hard to get immersed into aswell. I think the real part of realism they should focus on is the sound profiling and of course, the crashes. Burnout: Paradise is a real model of all i love in racing games. Beautiful and innovative crashes, amazing sound, really good graphics, etc. Burnout had a real sheen to how everything looked and it was all very crisp.

It is my love for Paradise that even allowed me to give Forza a real chance. I'm stunned that my favorite games are racing ones.

hear is what i am talking about when i talk about road atlanta.
hear is part of that long straight into the last 4. look at that transition
PPC%20-%20Road%20Atlanta%20Aug.%2021-22,%202004%20DL%20-%2011%20086.jpg

IMG_1529-OMG.jpg

hear is a 180 of that view basically.
Road-Atlanta-track.jpg

sstp-1209-12%2Bformula-d-road-atlanta%2Btrack.jpg

the transition from the top to the bottom of that hill is way different than how the game has it. they do have some transition but to convey it thru the game is much different.

hear is the best way to show you what it would really be like. a record setting lap from 2 perspectives.
driver is a friend of mine. is a pro porsche driver does 24hr rolex,lemans ect ect..
[video=youtube;LfdsZQG1p_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfdsZQG1p_Q[/video]

So, that's what it really looks like? Yep. I'd die in real life too! That turn always gets me on Track Days, I think I will need unlicensed driver level to beat that track for one of those events.

that car is moving.

i love forza but some things just cant be replicated.

Back