Xbox One The Xbox One and live TV -- here's what to expect

FordGTGuy

From
Portsmouth, VA
What's in a name? A whole lot, if you're asking yours truly. "All Your Entertainment. Input One." Such intriguing statements were declared in a document that leaked from Redmond last summer. The slogan "All in one, input one" was on the Microsoft banners decorating the LA Convention Center for E3 this year. But this probably left many wondering: what is "input one," exactly? It didn't go unnoticed by those who follow the TV industry. Input one is commonly used in the biz to refer to the TV input most Americans use to access the majority of their content. This is the input that's displayed when the TV is turned on, and it's the input that most connect their set-top box from their cable or satellite provider to. Naturally, it's a highly coveted position in the content industry and one that is well fortified by the incumbents.

Microsoft has had its sights on input one for a long time, and this particular go-round isn't all that unfamiliar. The Xbox One intends to share input one in what I'd call a man-in-the-middle attack. How well it works won't be revealed until later this year, but clicking through will reveal how I think it'll play out, why this attempt is a direct result of industry constraints and finally, how it matches up with the competition.

The Xbox One and live TV -- here's what to expect

as dumb as it may sound.. the tv intigration is something i am looking forward to. match that with kinect2.0/voice control... if i want to watch comedy central i can say it and it goes. a build in guide(my set tup has one but its in xb1 as well) i am also looking forwad to netflix as well. have had it for 2 years now and use it frequently.

i am hopeing it makes the cable/channels easier to navigate in all honesty... im not good at what chanels are which or what programing goes with them just the name of the show i like and general time.

I wonder if there are going to be any hiccups when it comes to satellite providers? Right now we have everything setup with ATT U-verse but we might end up switching by the time this comes out. I would hate to find out the new one does not work with this, after I buy it all to get it setup.

If I understood this Live TV article, you can hook any cable set-up box up to the One via an HDMI cable, but it won't necessarily work until MS and said cable provider make partnership? What?

Back