Two Free Games A Month Coming to Xbox Live Gold Members

PB7

Former Administrator
Members will soon be able to download 2 free games a month with a Xbox Live Gold Membership. Interesting as i keeps it more line with the PlayStation Plus Network. They announced it earlier today at the E3 press conference. Its a good deal and Microsoft is showing the other side of coin. Looks like a great deal for gamers.

Update 1: This is happening until the Xbox One Release for the 360 and starts July 1.

Update 2:

Free Game Campaign runs from 6/10/13 until 12/31/13 [Source: Xbox.com]
  • Games are released the 1st and 16th
  • Each game has a 15-day window to download it.
    • Once you've downloaded the game, it's yours for life.
  • 13 Xbox 360 games total
  • Games are chosen by Xbox team

First Free Game - FABLE III (Available until June 30th, 2013)

*Games can only be downloaded for FREE via the Marketplace on your Xbox 360 console.

It's cool since it's not something they have to do, but it screams of damage control. Considering all of the negativity currently going on with Microsoft, why not offer a couple free games until the One comes out that really won't set you back? Sounds like a great way to improve morale some, though the games being offered are probably going to be ones most gamers own already.

While that's awesome, I want them to do that with the Xbox One live as well.

I feel like it's just way to late in the generation to start doing this and they are well behind Sony with Playstation +. Not that I think it is bad, just really late.

Last edited:
One thing that i don't understand is, are they really doing this until the release of the Xbox One and will we be able to keep the games forever?

Yes, this is very similar to the PSN plus package but I can see this working very well or completely flopping. It works well with the PSN because its already free but you will always have those people that want something extra or premium but Xbox live has always been a paid service so adding perks to "influence" potential sales could prove useful or detrimental.

Yes, this is very similar to the PSN plus package but I can see this working very well or completely flopping. It works well with the PSN because its already free but you will always have those people that want something extra or premium but Xbox live has always been a paid service so adding perks to "influence" potential sales could prove useful or detrimental.

Except it's no longer free, while they were cheering for no used drm they chose that time to show a slider with multiplayer being thrown behind a paywall.
More details:

Runs from 6/10/13 until 12/31/13

Games are released the 1st and 16th
Each game available for 15 days
13 Xbox 360 games total
Games are chosen by Xbox team

I'm hoping we see a continuation of this program on Xbox One with maybe deals every month or free games to play every week or weekend.

Free games are good games, so Microsoft is doing a good thing. Above all, they're showing that they'll make decisions like these to compete with Sony, and since Sony seems to be on a roll, they may soon be as well.

Runs from 6/10/13 until 12/31/13
  • Games are released the 1st and 16th
  • Each game has a 15-day window to download it.
    • Once you've downloaded the game, it's yours for life.
  • 13 Xbox 360 games total
  • Games are chosen by Xbox team

Hey Captain, free is good any way you slice it.

So i guess the order starts from the 1st of july onwards? Or did they release a new one yesterday.

It is great that they are finally doing something like this for gold members. I already own the two games they will have up for free next month but I bet we'll see some great games up on that service in the coming months. It is obvious that they aren't abandoning the 360 after Xbox One launches so hopefully they keep this going strong moving forward.

I hope they release a list of the games ahead of time, because if they are good and worth it, it might even be worth to sign up for Gold exclusively for this offer.

This is similar to Playstation's PS+, except it's a limited run. The upside is that it seems you can just keep those games forever, at least. One of the few nice things Microsoft has done.

Instant win for Microsoft if they throw Red Dead Redemption up there for free, hey a man can dream right?

As a gesture of thanks to the millions of Xbox fans around the world for their passion and loyalty, Xbox announced that every Xbox Live Gold subscriber will receive two free Xbox 360 games per month until the release of Xbox One, including the pair of popular titles: “Halo 3” and “Assassin’s Creed II.” And to celebrate E3 in the month of June, Xbox Live Gold members will receive a free download of “Fable III.”

That is what a article on Xbox Wire (aka, Xbox.com's new 'news' hub) says.

We have always skipped over this in the past but I think this time around we are just going to jump in and deal with the membership. I love free stuff and we can never have enough games to keep everyone busy. Since our house is the one on the block all of the kid's friends head to, the more games we have, the better!

That's great, I just hope the free games aren't any crappy old games that nobody plays anymore. That explains why they made fable 3 free download last week. I like this Microsoft should have started this before. They should also lower the cost of living or make it free then they would surely be in greater contention with ps4 or ps3.

Back