Xbox 360 Ventillation Error, But No Dust Buildup Inside fan or Heat Sink

scmc872

Hello all,

Today when trying to play my xbox 360 Pro (or slim? It's the slim one with a 250GB hard drive) I recieved a ventillation error message immediately when I turned on my box. I waited awhile, moved it to an open space, then tried again multiple times and the same thing happened. My warranty's run out so I figured I'd just crack it open and try to clean it myself; I presumed that the fan was just dusty or something and that was the issue. When I got in there I found that it was almost completely clean, I wiped off what dust was in there and blew it out with compressed air. After reassembling when I turn it on the fan immediately starts going very fast and then I get the message again.

I'm thinking of re-applying the thermal grease under the heatsink, but it doesn't seem like the box is actually overheating. If this was a computer I'd just buy a replacement fan and be done with it but I presume microsoft isn't selling aftermarket parts.

My other worry is that I did overheat it yesterday and now something in the motherboard is fried and it's time to just buy a cheap used one.

Anyone have any ideas or similar issues (hopefully resolvable?)

I hope that you did not get a red ring on your slim and mistake it for red ring of death. because that just meant the hard drive wasn't in correctly and i really hope you didnt try and manually over heat it to reset it.. if you did then you more then likely fried your xbox.. sorry to say.. you can try and look things up on youtube because i cant say for sure. Hope this may have helped.

Also try and unplug everything and stand the xbox straight up and down on a completely flat surface. Any more questions just post below or pm me.

I'm not sure what you mean by manually overheat it, but this just happened as I turned it on today (worked fine last night). As it starts up it gives me a message saying that it cant ventilate properly. It seems to be working fine for about 10 seconds then the fan goes AWOL, it red rings, gives me the message on the tv (about shutting down due to ventillation), and shuts down. I've had it unplugged and sitting upright in an open area and it still won't stay on. I'm going to try leaving it unplugged and standing up until after work tomorrow or the next day and then give it another shot.

Also I was red-ringed with my original Xbox 360, wasn't going to replace it but my girlfriend got me this one for a b-day.

The box is still cool to the touch so if there's a ventillation (which seems like it must really be a heat) issue then it's gotta be with the heat sink and the fan charging up is just a response. Only fix I can think of is replacing the thermal gel. And if that doesn't work then it must already be fried I suppose. Last resort is taking the HD out and buying a new or used one. Is there a cheap model that comes w/o a HD?

yeah, i would personally just buy a used one from gamestop for not much. :/ sorry that happened man.

Back