Xbox 360 What did the 360 bring to the table?

Esperahol

Looking back over many systems it's possible to say what made them special or unique or worth the effort of development. It may be that it's too soon to tell yet with the 360, but as the Xbone gets ready to drop I have to ask: what did the 360 bring to the table? What about this system was truly worthwhile? I personally couldn't say although I would be the first to admit that the 360 was my mainstay with only some ventures to the PS3 (most of my time off the 360 was on the PS2 or the Wii). So yeah, what do you think?

They brought a new system for me to like on the table. At the time, I was looking for something else to do with my time, so I got the Xbox 360. After getting it, I really enjoyed playing a lot of games on it such as Borderlands or Battleblock, and brought me back to gaming more. I don't see many differences between the 360 and PS4, but I'm not really the person that can spot differences easily.

Looking back over many systems it's possible to say what made them special or unique or worth the effort of development. It may be that it's too soon to tell yet with the 360, but as the Xbone gets ready to drop I have to ask: what did the 360 bring to the table? What about this system was truly worthwhile? I personally couldn't say although I would be the first to admit that the 360 was my mainstay with only some ventures to the PS3 (most of my time off the 360 was on the PS2 or the Wii). So yeah, what do you think?

When you compare the Xbox 360 launch to the Xbox One, the Xbox One blows it out of the way with games. However, the Xbox LIVE service I believe was updated quite a bit for the 360. And Halo 3 and Forza Motorsport 2 were the games that I got during launch that was enough for me at the time.

I don't think it really did anything revolutionary. The graphics were a huge improvement, and the games were really good. I wouldn't call it superior to the PS3 in general, but I ended up buying both consoles to get the best of both, anyway. I remember being impressed by the controller's design, but that's a pretty minor thing when you think about it.

Just considering the intentions of the original designers, the 360 was made to be a multimedia hub more so than the PS3 or Wii. Its ability to interface with your existing Windows network, all of the streaming services, navigate with an easy to use Dashboard, and maintain a large library of AAA franchises, all while being bundled in a more competitive pricing model. Even moving into the next generation, the overall focus is not just being a game console, but also encapsulate all your multimedia.

The Xbox 360 brought a system we were not accustomed to, to the table. The Xbox 360 was a system that we had never played that was so different than any other system I owned. I never used online gameplay until I got my Xbox 360. The xbox 360 also incorporated a ton of great titles that I was not used to seeing or playing.

The most significant thing 360 brought to the table was the media hub aspect. That was about it.

I agree with StreetShark, the media hub thing was one of the most significant. I played games online with PS2, if you ever used the SNES controller, you basically experienced every controller afterwards only with analog sticks, an extra set of shoulder buttons, and a different form. It wasn't a console that truly changed anything to me outside of making online multiplayer on a console a bigger thing--which is a big task and Xbox 360's biggest significant contribution.

At launch, I'm not sure, bu the things I noticed that were great about it:

1. Ability to use apps like netflix (which was great until I got a smart TV that also does it)
2. Xbox Live
3. Arcade

Online multiplayer for consoles. PS2, DC, and GC, all did it before and did it well, but Xbox 360 took that ball ran with it. It ran far with that ball.

Back