What do you think of the Steam Machine?

heavensdevil

Alienware just announced their version of the Steam machine. It's Alienware so it's going to be expensive as heck. Do you believe that these Steam machines are going to pose a threat to Microsoft and Sony on the console market like some believe?

I honestly do not think I could really say just yet though they do look pretty damn interesting, I think I saw that about 12 or so companies will have their own versions of the Steam Machine. One looked pretty great being built like a monster and having dual OS, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see though they seem to be more in the PC market even if they are meant to be console competitors.

I'm a little skeptical of how well it will do. I mean, I can see the market they are trying to go for, but I don't really see people rushing out to buy these, no matter how cool they may look in the living room. I'd probably pick up the controller, but I don't know if I would get a steam machine if I already have a PC. Then again, I'm not really the person they are intending to sell these to. I also don't know all that much about Steam OS and how that will work but I'll look into it a bit more.

I am excited to see where it can go. The concept beghind it is solid but the execution we saw at CES this year left a lot to be desired. Maybe after a couple of years when the hardware manufacturers can pump out PS4/Xbox One levels of performance for cheaper than the consoles we might see some movement. But at the time being I see no reason for the average consumer to pick one of these up over a traditional console.

Well, its pretty interesting but I don't think it would really get into the air. I mean, I wouldn't buy one myself since I already have a PC, and for a typical consumer, I think they would rather buy a PC since its probably has more value.

Back