What does the term gamer mean to you?

Dame6089

I thought of this on the train on the other day after looking around and seeing how many people were playing games on their phones. By definition, I suppose these people are gamers because technically, they are playing video games.

What do you think? Do you consider people who only play mobile games to be gamers? Or are they in an entirely different category?

A gamer to me is someone who spends countless of hours playing games no matter what the device.I think they are in a different category then us for sure.Mobile gamers,PC gamers,Console gamers,handheld gamers,etc....Like my wife spends hours on her phone playing that Sims FreePlay.lol

I'm pretty sure this question is quite unnecessary, however nevertheless, a gamer is one who cherishes games and are addicted to them. They aren't just addicted to games, they are those who are experts in games.

I'm pretty sure this question is quite unnecessary, however nevertheless, a gamer is one who cherishes games and are addicted to them. They aren't just addicted to games, they are those who are experts in games.

I never said it was necessary lol. I agree that there really isn't a need to categorize people. I just wanted to pick people's brains and see what they thought about this topic.

Is it me or has gamer taken a turn toward the positive? If I recall correctly, being a gamer a decade ago usually translated to you being a type of nerd that preferred computers and games over mathematics. Now, it just seems, it's a way that everyone uses to pass the time. I suppose to be handed the title there should be some kind of hours dedicated log that is added to your epitaph with GAMER in bold Fixedsys replacing your given name.

The term gamer to me involves a gaming console or a computer. Mobile phone games are not really gaming devices in my opinion. My 65 year old mother plays candy crush on her iPhone pretty much everyday, but I do not consider her a gamer. I tried to get her to play Halo on the Xbox once and that was a total failure. Most people who play games on their phone are just killing time, but gamers aren't gaming to kill time, they are usually gaming to complete certain objectives and to be challenged.

It's nothing more than "person who plays videogames", to be honest. If I want to refer to someone who takes it seriously, I usually use something like "competitive gamer". Really, gaming has become such a popular pasttime that almost everyone does it to some extent. Even if it's just Facebook or flash games, most people spend at least a couple hours a week with playing games.

I think the term "gamer" as a subculture should just die already.

I normally think of a person who enjoys games to the extent that they queue at midnight for the latest releases as well as someone who has a huge interest in developments as a "gamer" whereas someone like myself who recreationally plays on the Xbox for a hour or so as someone with an interest in gaming. Not quite the "nerd" tag who would say if you wire this HDMI cable to a Pentium I3 processor etc but the title of gamer has gone in a positive direction due to the way it is seen by many people.

My friend is a huge "gamer" and is the type of gamer who has Turtle Beach headsets, wires everywhere, bottles of Pepsi and crisps scattered about constantly saying "Dakakakakakakakakaka" as he's shooting a rapetrain of zombies on Call Of Duty with a season pass of DLC content already downloaded in the first week of release but he is really the true definition of a gamer, needlessly to say it's awkward whenever we're in GAME or CEX etc and he looking at various Xbox 360 games going "Done it, done it, done it, got max gamerpoints on that, done it, done it, not interested, done it" but although I share his passion for gaming, i'm more of a casual gamer in general.

I feel anyone who finds a serious interest in gaming, not someone who is just simply playing a game to pass time.

What does the term "Gamer" mean to someone like me? It generally means that someone enjoys playing games, of all variety. Someone who will play an exclusive on one console, and then play the other on the competitor console, then another on PC, all while enjoying each and every one. A GAMER is someone who, to the direct point, enjoys games. There's several people out there who believe they are "Hardcore Gamers" who only play a certain game, or only one genre of games and to me, that doesn't define you as a gamer. Even Activision or Infinity Ward (Can't remember) came out in an interview and said that most of their player base, and all the pro Call of Duty teams on the MLG circuit aren't considered "Hardcore Gamers" to them, since all they do is play ONE kind of game, or ONE game in particular.

As a GAMER, I will happily play a game on any console, because it's fun. If you play PS3, I respect you. If you play Xbox, I respect you. If you play PC, I respect you.
THAT, is what being a gamer is all about to me.

It's a huge, all encompassing term that means anyone who has a love for playing games. People who find escape in a virtual world. Some people run, or drink, or create art. Some people game.

In my opinion the term covers anyone who enjoys video games, board games, or any non-physical games.

In general, the term is ubiquitous and having a “type” of gamer that’s the only “true” gamer is really just a linear mode of thinking with trying to be unique or something. I think a gamer in general just learns how to enjoy games without becoming too bored with the common trends.

What I mean by that is simply knowing that developers and companies will be pushing for more photo-realistic games, but in the end, rarely will anything be unique and original. It’s more of understanding the underlying meaning behind the games being played rather than impulsively playing games to add on to a person’s “credibility” of being a legit gamer.

Because getting addicted to games can lead to impulsive buying at times, and for me honestly, I just watch videos of games and can easily imagine what it would be like to play it. I guess it depends on what the gamer wants…the story and the set of morals implied in the game, or just something else entirely?

Because if the person is on a never-ending quest to validate themselves by finding what would constitute as a gamer, their wallets are going to be empty really quick to the point where they start forgetting to learn how to exist. Anyone that learns how to use common sense and knows the reality of how games have potential for them to gain an experiential learning of concepts of the real world and fiction and their limits as well is a gamer.

Or just a person that knows how to enjoy the moment of playing games and knowing how to get their priorities straight.

When someone says 'gamer', I think of someone who games on consoles, handhelds, or PCs (I'm not talking about flash games or Facebook games). I only think that because, when I was a kid, that was the only way to play games. Now we have tablets, phones, flash games, facebook games, etc.. And there are people who will dedicate countless hours to games like Farmville, so, while I don't consider a farmville player a 'gamer', that's really just because I grew up in a different time.

I think the term gamer is just someone that takes time out of their schedule (not necessarily daily) to play a game. In today's first world countries this is become more difficult to not be a gamer. However gamer is just the umbrella term and it still has a bunch of sub terms that go along with it (casual, hardcore, imports, esports, etc). Even though there are tons of sub categories all of them have that one thing in common but differ by how that time is spent. Question: If you watch twitch and gaming related youtube vids, but don't actually play any games yourself does that make you a gamer?

Back