Xbox One What shelf life will the Xbox One have?

Dr23

The Xbox ran from roughly 2001 to 2005. (4-5 years)
The 360's life will finish between 2005 and 2013. (8ish years)

How long will the Xbox One last before Microsoft roles out a new system?

Personally, I think everyone waited way too long between consoles. It's ridiculous that it's been so long since the 360 and PS3 came out. I'd love to see the time between system reduced especially considering how quickly technology is advancing. I'd like to see Microsoft's next consoles (the Two, I guess?) come out 4-5 years after the One. By then we'll all be craving a new system (we'll probably crave it way earlier) and the technology will have advanced far enough to make the One feel vintage.

So, how long will the One last before Microsoft roles out its next console?

How long will it last? I'd have to guess at 6-7 years.

How long I want it to last? 4 years max.

I love getting a new console and if it could become common to get a new console every 4 years I think it would be absolutely perfect. No frog-jumping generations. Just every 4 years. It would be perfect.

It will probably last a bit longer than the previous Xbox since they added a ton of new features. I would guess it would last about 4-6 years. I honestly don't think I would be buying this, but I would want it to last 2-3 years. I don't want it getting old quick.

We had better hope the shelf life is our lifetime, otherwise when they shut the servers down, we won't be able to play any of our games anymore! Unless they would do some sort of update where the games quit checking in with Live after a certain point, which would be cool of them, but I doubt it would happen. They've said this Xbox can support 4k resolution too, which I think means they're gonna go with this one for the long haul, I suspect it will have a run as long as the 360 or perhaps a bit longer even.

We had better hope the shelf life is our lifetime, otherwise when they shut the servers down, we won't be able to play any of our games anymore! Unless they would do some sort of update where the games quit checking in with Live after a certain point, which would be cool of them, but I doubt it would happen. They've said this Xbox can support 4k resolution too, which I think means they're gonna go with this one for the long haul, I suspect it will have a run as long as the 360 or perhaps a bit longer even.

Interesting. I didn't know about the 4k resolution aspect. If they really are trying to implement technology which can be upgraded as we go then I could easily see the One match the 360 in terms of longevity.

I'm worried about servers as well, but that's an issue that's been around for quite some time. If you try to play FIFA 11 you'll be met with an "Online unavailable" message. It makes sense, but it's kind of ridiculous they turned off the server for a game that didn't come out that long ago. So strange to think that games have features now that are only available for a limited time.

I've never had an Xbox die on me, so I wouldn't really have anything to compare it to. My current Xbox 360 is almost exactly two years old (though it doesn't feel like it), and I've had no trouble with it whatsoever. I think consoles should last several years at least, and longevity should be one of Microsoft's main concerns after they fix all this nonsense about not being to lend/trade games.

I think the shelf life of consoles will get smaller as the economy recovers. And to be honest, I think Microsoft has made a few mistakes with the One that can't be fixed with a simple patch or firmware update, and I bet we'll be seeing a new console much sooner than 7 years.

The Xbox ran from roughly 2001 to 2005. (4-5 years)
The 360's life will finish between 2005 and 2013. (8ish years)

How long will the Xbox One last before Microsoft roles out a new system?

Personally, I think everyone waited way too long between consoles. It's ridiculous that it's been so long since the 360 and PS3 came out. I'd love to see the time between system reduced especially considering how quickly technology is advancing. I'd like to see Microsoft's next consoles (the Two, I guess?) come out 4-5 years after the One. By then we'll all be craving a new system (we'll probably crave it way earlier) and the technology will have advanced far enough to make the One feel vintage.

So, how long will the One last before Microsoft roles out its next console?

You're kidding right.
Look at the difference between the Xbox one and the 360... Not much graphically wise.
Same for the PS3 and PS4.
Now you want to shorten that? Give us a new console every 3 years with MINIMAL Updates? You must be kidding.

The one will probably last for about 5 years, Because PC Graphics are increasing quite minimally atm, No major leaps and bounds... and a console can only go half as fast as PC when it comes to updating.

Going by those numbers, would the next one be 10 years? Because i think the Xbox One will last less than the PSVita if they don't change a lot of their policies.

I think to a similar amount of time as the Xbox 360, probably shorter. It's going to be released later 2013, so I would guess around 2019 or so until we see another console. Though we'll see, it's really hard to predict these things, but I think that Microsoft wants to build the Xbox One to last, hence the all in one entertainment center sales pitch.

I think 5-6 years because I know that typically, this is the amount of time that passes before we start hearing of the next gen being developed, or already released.

You're kidding right.
Look at the difference between the Xbox one and the 360... Not much graphically wise.
Now you want to shorten that? Give us a new console every 3 years with MINIMAL Updates? You must be kidding.

The one will probably last for about 5 years, Because PC Graphics are increasing quite minimally atm, No major leaps and bounds... and a console can only go half as fast as PC when it comes to updating.

I'd love to see a new console every four years. The current wait is a bit ridiculous. Yes, graphics between the 360 and the One aren't an extreme change, but the hardware has changed quite a bit. PC gaming keeps evolving and there's really no reason why the big gains there can't be implemented in a new system 4-5 years down the line. Waiting 7-8 years between consoles is nuts.

It's hard to say but I mean I'd have to guess it'd be around the same as the 360 if not longer. Technology for games doesn't seem to be improving leaps and bounds like it did for the jumps between the last generations. The difference between say, the PSone and the PS2 was a lot bigger in my opinion than the jumps this generation will have and I don't think that's gonna change... barring we find a Mass Relay on Mars.

You're kidding right.

Yeah, seriously. We don't need a new console every couple of years. Those of us who aren't made of money can't afford upgrading that often. Plus, there needs to be time for the technology to advance to justify releasing a new console. Otherwise, what's the point?

Back