Xbox 360 Where Will the Audio Come From, And How?

XBoxtheSpot

From
Massachusetts
I just hooked up my XBox 360 S to an LCD monitor with an HDMI cable. I now get game audio via the speakers in the monitor, but I want to hear the game audio via my Tritton AX 720 headphones, not yet hooked up...

Since I'm getting my audio via the monitor, does this mean having to somehow plug the headphones into the monitor?

Or can I plug the headphones directly into the XBox?

Either way, what kinds of connections do I need to make--and what kind of adapters, if any, to make this work OK?

Thanks for any feedback!

I think you can plug the headphones into your controller and then adjust the settings to get the game audio to come out of your headphones. I know that not all headsets give you game audio and will only give you voice audio when playing with other players.

According to the AX 720 manual, one end of an optical cable plugs "into the rear of the XBox 360" (of the older model XBox displayed in the manual--don't know WHERE it plugs in with the Slim model!). The other end of the optical cable plugs into the AX 720 Controller.

Then the XBox Live communication link cable plugs into the in-line volume controller (AX 720) and then into the XSBox controller.

But, I still don't know where the optical cable plugs into the rear of the Slim model, and if this setup overrides the audio coming from the monitor....

Use the AV composite cables, and you can hook the red and white cables (I believe) to a cheap 1-dollar adapter, which plugs into a computer. You can then connect the headphones to the speakers.

Well, the computer--and the wireless router--are in a different room than the XBox. No chance of hooking the XBox to the computer!

Hmm, I'm stumped then. I suppose you can try putting the headphone jack into the audio output on the Xbox, but I'm not sure if that'll actually work.

Well, I plugged the Optical Cable into the XBox from the AX 720 Controller, and it overrode the Monitor audio just fine...

Problem solved!

Back