Who thinks Mario 2 was awful?

alycat32

I know I can't be the only one who hated this game. I apologize if there is a thread on this already, I wasn't sure how far back we were allowed to bump.

We really enjoyed Super Mario Bros, and Super Mario Bros 3, but number 2 was awful. Maybe I was just terrible at it, but I'd get so pissed when I'd be using Princess Peach and she would float way to far over away from where I needed her to be. I kind of laugh about it now, but that game just didnt seem as popular as the previous ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was awful but it surely was different and strange. I guess they tried to make it more complex and varying but forgot to integrate the atmosphere of the first part into it. They managed that motivation a lot better with the thrid part.

It was really different from what other people would have expected, that is why it gets so much flack against it, and most of the times it's hidden behind the shadow of SMB3, so, even if it's different, you should see what it tried to do and not what you wanted it to do.

Mario 2 suffered from not really being a Mario game. It was actually something else entirely, but they then decided to just... shove Mario characters on it for the Western released and pretend it's a Mario game. I didn't think it was that bad, but it sure was different.

SMB3 is still the best one of the NES Mario games.

You all have given me a different perspective on it. I guess your right guys, I should look at it as what it tried to do.

Yeah, I totally agree with your sentiments with Mario 2. There's something weird with the game. The best of them all was the first one, and I used to perfect each level because I practice so much. I can literally not look at the screen yet I'm able to go through successfully. I almost memorized the sound of that game in my mind.

Mario 2 suffered from not really being a Mario game. It was actually something else entirely, but they then decided to just... shove Mario characters on it for the Western released and pretend it's a Mario game. I didn't think it was that bad, but it sure was different.

Yep. I remember learning that from a YouTube video of "worst Mario games", where Mario Bros 2 had a healthy heaping of hate packed onto it. I found the game entertaining, but it was certainly not in the same vein as the rest of the series. "Awful" would be a strong way of putting it, though I don't necessarily disagree.

You know, I actually loved the second Super Mario. It was totally different and weird, but I dunno, at that age, I loved being the princess and being able to float along.

I actually like Mario 2, but then I actually like platforming games and Mario 2 was a fun version of that. Besides which I wanted Peach to actually do something instead of just be kidnapped. Then again perhaps Smash Bros has helped soften thing by giving me a Peach who floats and pimp slaps people with style. Probably that.

It's been about 15 years since I've played Super Mario 2 and I think it's because I remember not being a big fan of it as a kid. Super Mario 3 was awesome, I played the heck out of that game, but I never really got into Super Mario 2. Now that I'm grown up, maybe I should give it another shot to see if I understand it a little better now. It was just too awkward to me back then, it wasn't natural at all. I felt like I was trying to solve a puzzle for whatever reason which isn't what you expect from a Mario game back then

I truly got into every Mario game except that one, so I feel I need to give it another shot as an adult and see if my opinion of the game has changed or not

I don't think it was awful, but definitely the weakest NES title. Mario 3 is a better example of changing the formula and still staying true, although the Western Mario 2 wasn't originally going to be a Mario game anyway. I think it was for the better that Dream Factory became Mario 2, because the actual Mario 2 is crushingly difficult, and that may have hurt the reputation of the series in the West. I think you know what I mean if you've ever played The Lost Levels on Super Mario All Stars for the SNES.

I didn't enjoy it that much. I think Nintendo is trying to squeeze out every drop out from the Mario franchise. The original Mario was great and I had a blast playing it. Too bad I can't say the same for this game.

I don't think Mario 2 was awful by any means. It was just different. People criticize Zelda 2 for being a bad game, but it is another game that is just different. It's fair to say that it isn't as good as Mario 3 because Mario 3 is a masterpiece. Being worse than a masterpiece doesn't make a game bad.

I would argue that it is actually better than The Lost Levels which was supposed to be the real second edition in the Mario series.

To jump on ClapTrap's point, Mario 2 was definitely not Mario at all, but it did give us exposure to characters that would be very reoccuring in the future. I think that has some meaning behind it but the powers were kind of lame. We all know that the princess doesn't have a floaty dress, but she does here, that's why I liked her the most. Followed by Luigi. Mario, I don't remember his power, but whatever, step aside for the girl in pink on this one. What was up with throwing vegetables? I think I thought about tossing a turnip at my sister and wondering if she would just fall through the floor to Mario 2 bad guy hell.

I some friends that knew some guy who could speed run Mario 2, that was more interesting then playing the game to me.

I liked playing Mario 2... but if I think about it, I must have not been that into it because I didn't own it. I only ever played it at friends' houses, but I did like it. I did however, definitely own Mario 1 and 3. Owning Mario 1 isn't saying much though, it was pretty hard to own an NES and not have Mario 1 since it came with it usually. Mario 3 was a must have, definitely one of my favs. I played that game every which way possible, including Game Genie allowing me to "walk on air", now that was fun!

Mario 2 was just an average game and not an awful one. Because it is sandwiched between the Mario 3 and 1, it suffers in comparison. I haven't played the game in ages (over a decade or something) but I don't remember thinking that it was terrible.

Mario 2 wasn't difficult, wasn't really a Mario game (as some have said), and just got some undue hate. It's an average at best Mario game, but a good old school platformer.

...it gave us the Shy Guy so I'm cool with Super Mario Bros. 2.

Super Mario Bros. 2 was a game I could get in to. It was like the Mario game you played when you wanted to beat a Mario game. It wasn't difficult for a platformer at all, but it wasn't all that easy either. It got easier when you used Peach though.

That's a good definition. It's not Mario 101, but it is the Mario game that you could say you beat at some point. There's really no reason someone should not have beaten Super Mario Bros. 2 if they tried it.

Back