Xbox One Why 100 dollars over PS4 means little to me.

I have to agree with that one. Years ago, when the Sega Dreamcast hit the market and the older Nintendo was already around, I went into a game store and overheard an exchange between a parent (had no clue) and the employee (ditto). The parent wondered why the Dreamcast was MUCH more expensive than the Nintendo system and the employee said, it's probably because it's new. She even commented on the graphics looking better than Nintendo and he said, "It's probably on a better TV than the Nintendo system." Needless to say, she went with the Nintendo system.

J

Except xbox 360 made a name for itself, like nintendo made a name for itself. I just talked to a co-worker today about the features the kinect has vs the ps4... she had no clue. The conversation was brought up because her son is 14 and I mentioned the new systems. I explained you should ask him what games he prefers to play, what he wants. But she like the idea of a system that incorporated all the media in one box. It truly is appealing to families. I am not gonna delve into the conversation much... but nintendo vs sega is not the same as ps4 vs x1 to parents... What parents believe MS is, is not the same as Sega.

I love the Xbox, but I must admit that the $ 500 does not fall from the sky.
Personally, I'm young, so I do not really make much money. $ 100 difference is very important to me.

So I take the PS4, but the Xbox ONe has its good sides. It offers many more features than the PS4 (not to mention the Kinect). It's worth its $ 100 extra, but it is not me who will pay.

Good for you if it's easy to pay you your console.

You're young and $100 is a big deal to you? It would appear by your PSN Profile that you have 70 games for your PS3?!?! Hmmmmmmm.

I have to agree with that one. Years ago, when the Sega Dreamcast hit the market and the older Nintendo was already around, I went into a game store and overheard an exchange between a parent (had no clue) and the employee (ditto). The parent wondered why the Dreamcast was MUCH more expensive than the Nintendo system and the employee said, it's probably because it's new. She even commented on the graphics looking better than Nintendo and he said, "It's probably on a better TV than the Nintendo system." Needless to say, she went with the Nintendo system.

J

Wow, I HATE uninformed employees. While Nintendo HAD made a name for itself, and in the long run the Nintendo probably WAS the better choice, it sucks that the employee knew jack squat about this. I actually used to sell cellphones for at&t and i made a point of knowing the strengths and weaknesses of not only each OS and platform, but each individual device as compared to other price points.

I fired a guy for selling an iPhone on the basis of,"well, its an iphone!". Sure he made a sale but the iPhone sells itself. We also made no commission on the iphones, and he didnt sell any extra features or accessories that would have made us any money. Basically, he was the same as if we would have had an iPhone vending machine.

I wanted my customers to feel like they decided on their device after being given all the information. Not by being made to feel stupid for purchasing any other brand or model.

Ok, I will play Devils Advocate. Here is my issue with it. First of all, the Kinect is not a choice. If it was packaged separately the price would be the same. There is not a large presence of Kinect games either at launch or even announced. I understand they want to push the Kinect so that devs would use it but I do not see evidence of that. All I see is more dance, fitness etc.

Now let's get to performance. So far we have seen evidence that 2 of the top shooters will perform better on the PS4. I do not think this will be a long term thing but you can make the argument that the $100 bump is not warranted. Last, although both require subs for MP access, the PS4 does not put it's apps behind a paywall. The Xbox One will be a great system but when you are talking about value it is really hard to make the argument right now that it is worth $100 more.

Ok, I will play Devils Advocate. Here is my issue with it. First of all, the Kinect is not a choice. If it was packaged separately the price would be the same. There is not a large presence of Kinect games either at launch or even announced. I understand they want to push the Kinect so that devs would use it but I do not see evidence of that. All I see is more dance, fitness etc.

Now let's get to performance. So far we have seen evidence that 2 of the top shooters will perform better on the PS4. I do not think this will be a long term thing but you can make the argument that the $100 bump is not warranted. Last, although both require subs for MP access, the PS4 does not put it's apps behind a paywall. The Xbox One will be a great system but when you are talking about value it is really hard to make the argument right now that it is worth $100 more.

This isnt a discussion about which is better, its about not using the 100 dollars as an excuse.

But since you mentioned it, the OS and app's and the snap feature and the multitasking and skype, and voice recognition, the fact I can go to my friends house and load my live account just by facial recognition and play my games... etc. etc. etc. wow so much more content and tech. worth the 100 dollars and yes facial recognition in games are already being applied, so if you smile the game will react to it... pretty cool huh? etc. etc. etc.

Its not a contest about which system will have the better exclusives to me... titanfall and halo are my reason for living atm. Its no contest about which console offers the most features and applications... to me that adds drastically to the entertainment value... I am not all about gaming, I am about the experience, and I am very impressed with the demo's that MS has released showing off.

I don't know why everyone is hung up on the $100 difference when all I said was that I don't consider it to be "no big deal." It isn't a dealbreaker, but when you compare two enticing offers that are $100 apart from one another, I'd definitely be more inclined to get the less expensive one. I'm a fan of both Xbox and PlayStation as brands, so it's not like I'm debating between the two of them.

It also isn't that I "can't afford" the $100 difference, but that that hundred bucks could buy almost two brand new games (or a handful of them once they start dropping in price or go on sale). Maybe I'd be more inclined toward the PS4 because I'd rather have a few games to play rather than just one or two. I said I didn't have a job, not that I don't have money. And whether someone "should be buying a console to begin with" is a bit subjective, don't you think?

While I agree $100 is not really something that will change someones purchasing habits, I disagree with the initial argument. You put $100 gas in a tank, I assume, in order to get to work to make the money you need to throw at a gaming system in the first place. The logic is missing for me.

While I agree $100 is not really something that will change someones purchasing habits, I disagree with the initial argument. You put $100 gas in a tank, I assume, in order to get to work to make the money you need to throw at a gaming system in the first place. The logic is missing for me.

I used other examples, like going out to dinner, etc. Is their something you like to point out? I drive a truck, it takes 25 gallons, and in some places of the country gas has been at 4 dollars per gallon. My point is I spend 100 dollars frivolously on things like gas sometimes. I also have a camry I use to commute to work for. Point is, I dont shutter at 100 dollars going into my tank, why would I shutter at 100 dollars going into my gaming system.

All I see is people saying "geez 100 bucks isnt a big deal, plus you get all this cool stuff"
others replying with "but i dont want this cool stuff and the system isnt as good"
and the retort, "yea but look at all this cool stuff, its definitely worth 100 dollars!"

All I see is people saying "geez 100 bucks isnt a big deal, plus you get all this cool stuff"
others replying with "but i dont want this cool stuff and the system isnt as good"
and the retort, "yea but look at all this cool stuff, its definitely worth 100 dollars!"

Console warriors will be what they are. I will have both so I don't care. If they were the same price the pre order numbers would be closer. Just because your system of choice is weaker and costs more doesn't mean you have to go crazy about it. It's all objective in the end. I guarantee you, without Titanfall the numbers would be more abysmal. Who knows what they will do to Halo but if those games don't knock it out of the park a year from not nobody is going to card about snap features or whatever. It's a game system, it's about the games.

is this about the price of games? Or are you just bragging that you have a lot of money?

$100 is actually pretty miniscule. $100 is less than some people pay for cable some months. It's not eating out for a little bit. It's a little bit less groceries.

I used other examples, like going out to dinner, etc. Is their something you like to point out? I drive a truck, it takes 25 gallons, and in some places of the country gas has been at 4 dollars per gallon. My point is I spend 100 dollars frivolously on things like gas sometimes. I also have a camry I use to commute to work for. Point is, I dont shutter at 100 dollars going into my tank, why would I shutter at 100 dollars going into my gaming system.

I thought I did point it out. One hundred dollars is not going to be the deciding factor in this decision. However, you seem really dismissive about it. I assume, like everyone, you would prefer not to throw one hundred dollars at something if you need not do so? The 'point' in reference to gas has nothing to do with price or even that you use that hundred for gas. It was just there to be reflective of the example you used.
So, again, the deciding factor was never and will never be the hundred dollar price difference. We agree, simply put, about everything other than the logic of comparing cash in a tank to cash in a system. Also, I believe you meant 'shudder'.

$100 is actually pretty miniscule. $100 is less than some people pay for cable some months. It's not eating out for a little bit. It's a little bit less groceries.

Except to a lot of people, $100 is quite a lot. It's more like £80 here though (£349 compared to £429).

I'm a student, so I don't have a massive income. I get around £10,000 a year, and a large chunk of that is because I was lucky enough to get a scholarship. After paying rent and everything else that I need to take care of, I'm left with around £50, which has to cover buying food, as well as going out and/or having fun. So while $100 might not be much to you, to a lot of people it involves weeks of saving and sacrifices.

When you take into consideration that students (people my age in general) are one of the largest target demographics, it makes a huge difference in decision making.

If the people dont want all that "cool stuff," they shouldnt even buy a console. Build a gaming PC, I have one and I game pretty hard on it.

If the people dont want all that "cool stuff," they shouldnt even buy a console. Build a gaming PC, I have one and I game pretty hard on it.

I already did :)
amd 6350, 8gb sys ram, radeon hd 7970 w 3gb vram, 128gb ssd, 60 gb ssd and 2tb hdd

I just overclocked my video card last night. 1200mhz core 1600 mhz vram (i've seen overclocks up to 1860mhz on the vram on the same card as mine ?! )

I already did :)
amd 6350, 8gb sys ram, radeon hd 7970 w 3gb vram, 128gb ssd, 60 gb ssd and 2tb hdd

I just overclocked my video card last night. 1200mhz core 1600 mhz vram (i've seen overclocks up to 1860mhz on the vram on the same card as mine ?! )

Sweet Rig. That's my next goal. If you don't mind me asking what did that run you? (ballpark)

I rock the amd 8core fx8350 4ghz, 8gig ddr3, gtx680 4gig vram dd5, 128ssd along with several raptor drives that are removable. I also have 2 benq monitors with 1080p. My PC setup is pretty sweet too. Game hard or go home imo. PS4 is less than PC.

Back