Xbox One Why does my Power Brick stay on?

xSaVx Carnage

I have a question. everytime i turn off my xbox one my power brick still stays power'ed on, now does it shut off by itself after 5 mins of inactivity like the wireless controller or? i always end up unplugging the power brick after i turn of my xbox but i feel like that bad for it....can anyone can help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just leave it plugged in, I have not turned my Xbox One off since I got it.

So i think ive figured out why the brick stays on, its for when you turn off your xbox and then go back to it at some point and say "xbox turn on" so i think the brick stays on to give the kinect power so it can hear your voice to turn on the xbox

Go to the settings and under power options choose the "power saving" option. Now this will turn it off just like the 360, although it seems to take a little longer, but like Carnage pointed out using this setting won't allow the voice commands to turn it on bc all power is shut off

Go to the settings and under power options choose the "power saving" option. Now this will turn it off just like the 360, although it seems to take a little longer, but like Carnage pointed out using this setting won't allow the voice commands to turn it on bc all power is shut off

Yea i figured thats what it was, but isnt the brick being on all the itme bad for it? like i dont want it to burn out or something lol

Yea i figured thats what it was, but isnt the brick being on all the itme bad for it? like i dont want it to burn out or something lol

It's like a computer hibernated, it doesn't cause anything else than saving what you were doing on disk. Of course if there is a blackout, you will lose your progress, but that is about it, no harm's done.

I'm with you I can't believe that would be real great for it. Not to mention its drawing electricity 24/7. I would think it would be good to give the brick a rest every now and again. Leaving it on seems like its tempting fate

Ok, I posted this a few times and when you go into the settings like said above it tells you the benefits main two being:

1. Instant on, quick boot up (add in use of your voice to start it up too)

2. It downloads updates for the system (possibly games) while its in this mode

The XBOX was designed to stay on 24/7, don't worry about it.

Tests were done, our XB1's are more efficient than the PS4!

XB1 --
Idle: 65w
BR: 77w
Gaming: 125w
Gaming + UI: 125w

PS4 --
80w
100w
131w
141w

Heat wise:
Top of XB1 vents: 115F, ports 98*

Top of PS4: 115F, ports 133*

Even 133 is still reasonable.

I would just leave it plugged in, I have not turned my Xbox One off since I got it.

Yup! I love that it does all the hard work behind the scenes. I leave it in and don't have to worry about my gaming being interrupted

Aren't you worried about the console being on all the time. I would think the brick would finally just quit on you or something inside the console would break

yea its because the xbox is never truly off.

On a pc, you have the system power button and the power supply power button. You can turn the computer off and on with the power button, but the system is still juiced unless you turn off the switch in the back, with the power supply button

Same goes for the xbox except the power supply (brick) doesnt have a button

Back