Why Playstation Move Failed

lindbergh

The PS3 unveiled the playstation move in order to compete with the Wii and the xbox kinect. However, the Wii and the Kinect moved on to become quite recognizable devices while the Move was pushed from the limelight. What's the reason behind the move's demise?

Because it sucked....just kidding! But seriously,why use the Move when the Kinect is hands free? I thought that the Move seemed awkward to use, personally.

Haha, you're right. The PS Move was just an imitation of the Nintendo Wii. But it looked a lot more awful in terms of design. The PS4 better be innovative or else it would be lights out for Sony.

Because there was nothing new about it. As lindbergh said, it was a direct copy of the Wii. With the Kinect we have motion sensing technology that was innovative for consoles and that is why the Kinect is so popular.

Failed according to who? Because as far as I can see, it's getting developer support. Ninja Gaiden, Bioshock Infinite, Portal 2, just to name a few.

Just because Sony never went out of their way to say "THIS GAME USES MOVE" the way Microsoft does with Kinect doesn't mean it failed. People seem to think because it didn't sell as well as Kinect that it failed. Just this past March it was at 12 million in sales. And trust me, Valve wouldn't have bothered just recently making Portal 2 FULL move compatible and even giving the MOVE it's own DLC for the game if it had failed.

Well, with the Nintendo Wii no longer active, it is to no surprise that the Playstation move is getting higher sales. We have 3 huge competing companies in the console industry - Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Does the kinect have higher sales than the Move? Does the Wii have more sales than the move? If the answer is yes to both questions, then I think that the move failed imo. If the move keeps up the pace, maybe it could redeem itself.

Well, with the Nintendo Wii no longer active, it is to no surprise that the Playstation move is getting higher sales. We have 3 huge competing companies in the console industry - Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Does the kinect have higher sales than the Move? Does the Wii have more sales than the move? If the answer is yes to both questions, then I think that the move failed imo. If the move keeps up the pace, maybe it could redeem itself.

That's not how it works. First off, does the Wii have more sales than the MOVE? Of course it does. It has more sales than Kinect too. And do you know why? Because it was MANDATORY. Every time you bought a Wii, you bought a Wiimote because it was the default controller. And I'm sorry, but being third place doesn't make it a failure. Because if you want to go that route, the Wiimote would be the ONLY winner. Because there is no reward for "second" prize either.

And the Wii being headed out the door has no bearing on the MOVE's sales. Because the MOVE's sales have stayed on the same exact pace it has been from the time it was released.

I think it was because they didn't market it enough. You never hear anything about these, or see any news, or sales. They kind of just sit there...

That's not how it works. First off, does the Wii have more sales than the MOVE? Of course it does. It has more sales than Kinect too. And do you know why? Because it was MANDATORY. Every time you bought a Wii, you bought a Wiimote because it was the default controller. And I'm sorry, but being third place doesn't make it a failure. Because if you want to go that route, the Wiimote would be the ONLY winner. Because there is no reward for "second" prize either.

And the Wii being headed out the door has no bearing on the MOVE's sales. Because the MOVE's sales have stayed on the same exact pace it has been from the time it was released.

Well, it's still in last place. :p

I now see that it depends upon your perspective if it could be seen as a success or a failure. If you were the top boss of Sony, would you settle for last place in the console battle? Also, this article could probably give some answers: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/11/sony-admits-playstation-move-has-been-a-failure/

Well, it's still in last place. :p

I now see that it depends upon your perspective if it could be seen as a success or a failure. If you were the top boss of Sony, would you settle for last place in the console battle? Also, this article could probably give some answers: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/11/sony-admits-playstation-move-has-been-a-failure/

No boss would want to settle for last place. But then again, they don't want to settle for second place either. That's the point I made to start with. And that article doesn't read like the headline. "We can do better" is not the same thing as "we admit it's a failure".

All I see is a sensationalist headline twisting words for hits. Did you actually read this or just look at the headline and leave it at that?

My girlfriends move sucks, She likes it for the dance game but I think its retarded, doesnt compete with the wii what so ever and the kinect.. come one, Blows BOTH away

My girlfriends move sucks, She likes it for the dance game but I think its retarded, doesnt compete with the wii what so ever and the kinect.. come one, Blows BOTH away

The dance games are cool but the one I saw seemed to have worked a hell of a lot better on the kinect.

I have never used the Move so I can only speculate. I think it is in last place in sales for several reasons- 1) They haven't marketed it very strongly, 2) It is bulky and not very user friendly and 3) Playstation 3 sales are still lower than those of both Xbox 360 and Wii.

The Playstation Move looks silly, like a NERF toy. If there are more mature games being made compatible with the Move, then they should redesign it so it looks cooler. I would feel silly waving that thing around.

Because it sucked....just kidding! But seriously,why use the Move when the Kinect is hands free? I thought that the Move seemed awkward to use, personally.

I concur. Whenever one needs to compete in a market it is imperative that they match the current technology. No one, for example, would go for a 2G phone while there are phone using the 4G Network. I believe that is what happened to Playstation Move

Long after the release of the PlayStation Move, I have just realized that it existed.

It seems that in desperation or greed, Sony has taken the idea of Nintendo Wii's Nunchak controller, but without change or innovation. Sony cannot possibly hope to distinguish themselves from the competition by releasing an exact replica of Nintendo's hardware so late in the game. This is a sad thought, when considering Sony is recycling technology from Nintendo to compete with Microsoft's Kinect- which far exceeds both. Nintendo moves forward- Microsoft moves forward... And yet Sony steps back to technology of the past.

The PlayStation Sixaxis controller was unique in that it had integrated motion sensing. It wasn't as definitive with their support in games like Nintendo, but the Sixaxis was a moderate design that was acceptable and refreshing. The PlayStation Move failed, simply by not staying in their lane. They only introduced an exact copy of a technology Nintendo already saturated the market many years prior.

The Xbox on the other hand took the concept to a whole new level, which was unfortunate for Nintendo, but much more respectable than Sony. The PlayStation Move is a joke, in contrast with the release of the Xbox Kinect

Nintendo gets my respect and recognition for being the pioneers of that technology.

Last edited:
Back