Xbox One Will Xbox One Allow Digital Pre-Orders (of games)???

oneill112

So as the title states I'm wondering, "Will Xbox One allow digital pre-orders of games?" I'm talking about being able to download the game before launch then have it unlocked at midnight when the game launches at retail. PC users have been able to pre-order digital games for quite some time, but since consoles are still mostly retail they haven't seemed to endorse digital games as much as I think they should. I'm not sure if this question has already been answered, but if it has please post a link. If not, you can also just give me your personal opinion on whether or not you think this would be a nice feature for Xbox One.

I would think it is possible. Although the only thing I would think would prevent this is retail. They pay an awful lot for those pre-order exclusives. I did notice the Microsoft store offered some of those exclusives as well, at least the ones offered by the publisher so who knows. This would be great though, even with disc based games like Halo 4 I was sitting there 1am after a midnight launch just watching a progress bar.

no chatter has come out of it yet. so far live does not have money in limbo(except pre order of xbox one) that i am aware of.

the general pre order of digital games would be the game changer for xbox live.. as long as they can offer the exclusives for pre order or the added bonuses associated with pre order like gamestop and walmart ect ect. i think it would change how we buy games more than the drm/24hr connected chatter that happned in the start.

Digital Pre-Orders is interesting and might help give the Digital Market another edge over physical copy, but so far there's no word on it. Lord knows if PS4 announces something like that though, Microsoft will be all over it in a heartbeat.

The digital market on the consoles is in an odd state at the moment ,mainly because of how the games are priced. The great majority of them are the same price as physical copies of the game. I can see the logic here that you are paying for convenience and you can have the game immediately, but there are also a lot of risks involved. What happens in 10 years when they stop supporting their servers, will you still be able to download your game? Digital games should always be cheaper, not by a massive amount, but enough to compensate for not having a physical item and for taking those risks. It should be a courtesy from the company for trusting them.

i am going to say yes100% you will be able to pre order.. if you are on xbox live today you will see pre order cod ghost and drand theft auto5 on the dashboard.. so i would assume xbox one will have the same capabilities. obviously u wont be able to do it till you have the console in your hands.

they wont post up something that is already in place. if you are on xbox360 you can pre order bf4,ghost gtv and a few other games.

I was under the impression that those were pre orders for a physical disc, not a digital download. Guess I will look again.

this is what i dug up when i first had the question about day 1 pre order games if you went digital
If it's for the bonuses, many of you will be disappointed, because you won't be getting them (as of now). Bonus's are often retailer specific, that is why every retailer often offers different bonuses...they make deals with the publishers to get certain content. The only way you will get them is if MS, as a retailer of digital, makes offers with the publishers for pre-order bonuses. As of right now, you won't be getting them...but Major is looking into the possibility, he states it is a goal, so we will see

so with that said the process is already in place.. what we the consumer are still thinking is the game is a pre order and this is not the case. with digital their is no shortage of disks or a mass run of games. you are downloading digital content and getting packages via the cloud. their may be ways to commit to a game prior to launch for possible perks but its not a pre order like we have now.

hear is a conversation wih major nelson on this topic
majornelsonMajorNelson 69 points 17 days ago

The goal is to have the digital and physical offers be the same.

Of course there are retailer exclusive specific bonus items that won't be available.

[–]mastamind229 12 points 17 days ago

does that mean retailers will sell keys for the digital version?

parent

[–]majornelsonMajorNelson 31 points 17 days ago

That would certainly be possible.

parent

[–]walexjSmartScorpion 4 points 17 days ago

I certainly hope this is the case. Allow box stores and amazon to sell license keys (such as Amazon already does for Steam). It will benefit the consumer a lot and will get Microsoft some very positive PR.

parent

[–]jduran400 1 point 16 days ago

Any chance of some sort of disc for loading the game onto the system without having to download it?

i hope this helps.

Not only is it possible, but I believe both Sony and Microsoft are steadily creeping toward a reality where you can digitally preorder games on their consoles and have them right on the hard drive. They would have to manufacture some sort of software lock for this to be plausible that way. However, some developers still have touch ups to do on their game titles, such as fixing last minute bugs and glitches, during the time it is available for preorder and the official release, which will not carry through to your system if it had already been downloaded. Thus some sort of always online feature to automatically update it seems beneficial, but to be honest it is a waste of computing power. Who knows, though, in the coming months they may announce some such service. If at least one of the two does it, then you can almost guarantee the other will do it in time in order to compete. Microsoft has been having to do this a lot lately, and not just with the Xbox One.

i personally feel if xbox can some how link up with steam it will be blockbuster and netflix all over again. gamestop will take such a hit it will be rediculous.. within a year gamestop will only exist in major markets like nyc,atlanta miami and such.

once they figure out how to get early adopter or first 3 day purchase capabilities with dlc packs the big title games will be 70% diskless.

like all digital games it will jut be linked to your system/hard drive their wont be a way to sell it back or anything like that that i am aware of. its not a off the wall concept its the same as app games on the market now or any xbox live arcade/digital game.

as for game fixes wasn't their an article about the ability to do hot fixes daily with games without having to pay.. giving the developers allot more freedom and ability to address issues and not quarterly. most hot fixes now are associated with dlc at the moment but i think the general idea with internet/cloud gaming is the ability to tweek things on the fly. forza5 has spoke about cloud/drivatar and how the game will evolve and they ar not sure how at this point untill people start playing.

I'm personally already use to digital preorders and figured that it would not change based much based on platform. I mean all of Steam is digital so there's your example of how well it works currently and then even current consoles already have the ability to purchase quite a few games digitally, usually from day one. So making it possible to preorder games for my [console] just seems like the smartest idea.

The PS3 and PC already do this. It's almost a sure fire bet that the XB1 will have the ability as well. Some things are becoming common place in the digital landscape. Pre ordering is one of those things. So it's more than likely going to be a part of xB1 as well

Seeing how Sony already had something like that, i wouldn't see why not. Hell, make it possible to download the game one week before the release date so you can play as soon as it is available, that alone would sell me on this, and a i think a lot of people would too.

The jury is out. Xbox 360 now offers pre order+bonus content so yes now xblive is a contender in the pre sale+digital market. Check your dashboard

If they do, I hope they allow retailers to help out in that. Honestly, I'm none too comfortable leaving my CC number on file with MS. I've never done it, and don't intend to. I'd rather walk in with cash to a local retailer...get number or redemption code for the game. (hello QR code scanned into the kinect) - then it's in my queue and about a week prior, it downloads to my console over time and then is playable 12:01 the day of launch.

Who's with me?

It won't work that way sorry. Microsoft is known to pay for early release or content exclusives but I wouldn't expect games to be a month early on live pre order all the time iirc they did it with cod dlc but past that don't hold your breath.

As far as cc info linked to live if u want games or content you are either going to have to purchase Microsoft cash(similar to ms points) or link a cc like every other online retailer. If you have amazon prime Netflix ect ect and you are on live streaming your cc is already linked to your account. Watch amazon prime when u open it. It authenticates your account to make sure you are payed up member.

You have more power with a cc linked than with cash or debit card. The cc company can get money back lock an account from accessing your cc or drawing money.

Understood.

What I was trying to say (and failing) was that you could 'buy' (the code, pre-order, etc) at a retailer like we do points or live currently - and it would let you download the title up to a week early (to avoid server rush) and then it would 'unlock' on 12:01am the day of launch.

Currently, I've been purchasing a block of points (will do same with cash) and then drawing against it. I hope it never becomes a requirement...

I think this would be great. Bet they will do it, they seem to want to move to digital over physical anyway. I wish Sony would allow this option too, and retroactively add it to the PS3 and PS Vita.

Back