Xbox One Will your Gamertag transfer to next gen console?

hatmasker

Does anyone know if the same gamertag can be used on the Xbox One when it comes out? It would be nice if I could have the same one, but I wasn't sure if they are going to be allowing the same one to be used on both systems or if a new one would have to be created.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft has confirmed that your Gamerscore will be ported over from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One, along with your gamertag and your avatar.

The news comes courtesy of the company's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle, speaking at a screening of the Xbox Reveal event in London today. "Your hard-earned Gamerscore will port over, so yes you'll take that with you," he said.

"You'll also take your Gamertag, your identity with you. Whilst we're making a much bigger bet on natural identity with the camera, Avatars will also feature as well. All of the gaming identity that you have on Xbox 360 will be there on Xbox One as well."

What you won't be able to take with you is any Xbox Live Arcade purchases, as the Xbox One will not be in any way backwards compatible. However, entertainment content that you've purchased, such as movies, will carry over.

The company has also confirmed to Polygon that your Xbox Live Gold account will be shared across the Xbox One and Xbox 360, and multiple household members will be able to share the same subscription but with different accounts.

Taken from http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/gamerscore-will-port-over-to-xbox-one

Do you mean if you are going to create a new account with the same name? Why would you want that? Just go with your old account!

Awesome, that is something that I was a little bit worried about with buying the Xbox One. I wanted to keep the same gamertag when I switched over to the new system. Thanks for the quote/link.

On a side note, how would you react if you had to make new Gamertags? The whole popular lexicon would be open for usage again. Seeing usernames such as "John" and "Doorknob" would be a great refresher from "XxX_masterassassin22_XxX".

Yes this has been confirmed. You can also log into your X360 account, and your XBOX ONE account at the same time (with the same gamertag). But not on 2 of the same Console!

I'm so glad our current profiles are going to be ported over. I love my gamertag with all my heart. I don't know what I would do if it got taken. I would probably switch over to PS4 permanently.

I'm so glad our current profiles are going to be ported over. I love my gamertag with all my heart. I don't know what I would do if it got taken. I would probably switch over to PS4 permanently.

And once you lose it there, you'll be back on X1. lol

Back