Xbox One Xbox 720 will use Smartphones and Tablets as a Controller?

danealegana

This is from an unreliable source but WHAT IF we can definitely use smartphones and tablets as controller?

Microsoft secures a new Patent, possibly for the Xbox 720. It makes possible to user your smartphone or your tablet as an Xbox Controller. A Picture show you how it works:
413625991_1[1].jpg

So, what do you think about it?

Stupid idea in my opinion.

The reason why is because then MS can't charge you for it. Unless, they make a app and charge $4.99. Which, I can see happening then.

You got a point. MS tends to sell every feature they release. Always profit first rather than giveaway for free. Thats why some people brand them as M$.

This is a cool feature, I have thought about the possibility of consoles doing this with their controllers, but at what price to use it? That seems to be the big question here, and deserves to be. I don't quite see Microsoft putting out a controller this way, though, despite the "coolness" of it. But, that is business, I guess. *shrugs* :\

I am not sure about a smartphone for a controller. Some people have a hard time with the touch screen not responding to them as easily so it would make it frustrating to them! That and for everybody who gets so annoyed they throw their controller, it wouldn't be a good idea as it would break a lot easier.

It is a cool idea, but I don't see it working well. Tho I don't know because MS is making everything compatible (tablets, Windows 8 and Windows phones) so maybe this is something that wouldn't be far off.

I agree it's a bit stupid. I guess it is sort of cool but on the other hand it is not really that necessary. I can imagine the accuracy won't be too great, but I guess it would be a good alternative if suddenly your original controller breaks and you have nothing to use until you buy a new one.

I would absolutely hate the idea honestly.

1: People who don't have a smartphone would just be useless.
2: It would most likely be slower than just having a controller dedicated to the console.
3: Its not specifically for the console, therefore it cannot have all of the functions properly.

All in all, it would be very constricted, and would be a waste of technology.

I hate playing shooters and most games on my smartphone. The only games I like playing are Temple Run style games, Angry Birds and Plants vs Zombies. I don't see why Microsoft would bother making the option for people to have a sub-par controller when they should just improve the one they have right now. This is just one of those ideas that sound good until you actually see it and go "O, yeah, it sucks!"

I guarantee that we'll only be able to use Windows things. Things like the surface tablets and Windows Phone 8 systems. So is it a good marketing strategy? Maybe. But I will not be going out and buying a surface just to play on the 720. I mean, a $500 controller. Ripoff much?

In my opinion, this is not a weird idea at all and it would be really cool if they can implement these features. However it needs to work from every kind of device and operating system and not just from Windows 8 devices. I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to sacrifice Xbox sales to promote its non starter OS.

That's some really great news on using smartphones and tablets as controllers. Wow! :) :eek:

I highly doubt it, and, if it's true, it'll simply be a connectible app to display this functionality. Xbox will never replace the traditional controller that their consoles have used for all these years, simply because the controller is a symbol of their company and is recognized across the world for it's unique design and button/colour combination. It's what makes the xbox the xbox, at the end of the day, and Microsoft would be making a massive mistake in obliterating it.

Ugh, can't we have some things that are not compatible with other things? I feel like we're all Videdroming here. Where we're trying to use our phones for our games and our games for our PC's. It's nice to keep some things separate. It instills balance and order in life.

Hopefully the Smartphone can be used as a "remote" for the Xbox 720 rather than a full fledged controller. Turning it on via phone, as well as going through the initial startup menus would be cool, but the practicality of a phone controller ends there.

I would really hate and like that controller then. My hands are sort of big and with these touch screen phones and tablets all around the place I would hate to be place video games constantly touching the screen it's just to play. It would be like playing FIFA 13 on the iPhone 5 which I am not a fan because I suck at it because I'm not used to playing those types of games touching and dragging the screen that's just my opinion.

It's dumb. They are just trying to experiment with new features, and try to be unique, but this is not the definition.
They are adding completely different electronics not in the gaming aspect and trying to switch it.
This is pure garbage IMO.

If they pull something like that, they will most definitely make it only usable for people that have the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold, so that they can pitch another selling feature.

Ugh, can't we have some things that are not compatible with other things? I feel like we're all Videdroming here. Where we're trying to use our phones for our games and our games for our PC's. It's nice to keep some things separate. It instills balance and order in life.

I agree. Inter-connectivity is nice but there are certain things that don't really work with this setup. Take for instance the PS3 and the PSP connectivity. I don't know how many people are taking advantage of that. It takes away the exclusivity of a certain device. For mobile phones to be interconnected, that's great. But for video game consoles to be interconnected with other devices? I'm not so keen with that.

On the other hand, if they introduce this system alongside the standard controller, it could be very helpful for some people.

For instance, I'd never (ever) use a smartphone over a controller, assuming one was available. On the other hand, I only own two controller for me and my partner.
We rarely need more than two, but there are instances where friends pop down, and we think "If we had two more controllers we could have 4 player coop"

This idea would then allow them to whip out their phones and tablets (or whatever) and jump into our game, without me having two extra controllers that hardly get used, and without them having to bring controllers with them all the while.
If implemented as a backup controller system, it's actually a good idea. Even if they charge for the app, it'd probably still be worth having it, if a controller breaks or the battery dies, you're not screwed - just get your phone out.

It'd be awkward to play with, sure. But it's better than not being able to join at all.

Back