Xbox One Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games?

lindbergh

This has already been debated numerous times before - will the Xbox 720 prevent gamers from playing used games? If so, what would be the implications? I know that Microsoft is combating piracy and all but I think this is getting ridiculous. Once I buy a game, I already own it and I expect that I could do anything with it like give it as a gift to a friend. If Microsoft would prevent the playing of used games by another person, do you think that this would affect the sales of the Xbox 720?

Last edited:
I def think it would that seems ridiculous to me... Thats even worse that the transfer license you need if you get a new xbox and want you DLC its so stupid..

I think I've said this places in the past. But that would be suicidal for them or any other company if they're the only ones doing it. By cutting off used games, they will in effect not only bring about hackers that will try to circumvent it, but they'll annoy their partners that dabble in used games as well. Gamestop for example may just drop selling xbox products all together if they nullify used game sales.

So the ONLY way this works is if all three major hardware players do this. All three companies doing this would force places like Gamestop to conform. Because doing this alone is almost a death wish.

I agree with you on this. It would be a bad move for Microsoft if it pushes through with this one. However, I would accept this move of Microsoft if they significantly lower the price of each game. Maybe $29.99 each?

I wonder how this would affect Live Arcade games. I would think not allowing these to play on the new console would kill it. As far as BC goes, I don't know why they wouldn't do it but they look at it as a loss in some ways.

I agree with you on this. It would be a bad move for Microsoft if it pushes through with this one. However, I would accept this move of Microsoft if they significantly lower the price of each game. Maybe $29.99 each?

They wouldn't drop the prices, especially that much for two reasons.

First, the people have already shown they are willing to pay high prices for incomplete games. And second, because that means everyone across the board of game development to publishing would profit much less.

I guess they will give the game an ID that once entered into another console and proved as valid by the next owner will be able to get played.

So basically, you're saying something similar to the license keys that ended up being the bane of the PC community? That didn't go over so well. All it did was make pirates fight harder.

Interesting rumors indeed! How can a progressive company like Microsoft even contemplate such a business suicide! Since it is only rumors, I wouldn't be much worried by the implications. It is fine to combat piracy, but this must be done in a way that do not necessarily complicate our lives. XBox 360 allows these games and hasn't incurred great business loss...

A sad move if this was to be true!

If they contemplated this, this would be more of a moved forced on them by the publishers. Because it's not the console makers, but the publishers that have complained about used game sales. So if they do this, it's a moved to make the publishers happy because now, we'd all be forced to buy their games new and new only.

I understand Microsoft if they actually want to do this. Used games are like seeding games. Microsoft want you to buy the original game from them. They want more money...nothing new.

That seems ridiculous. I can understand Microsoft's intentions, but this would not appeal to a lot of users. This would be a step back for customer service.

So basically it's something like a license agreement between you and Microsoft that limits installs of their games to one box? That makes sense, but even with Windows for example you're legally permitted to install on another machine if you get rid of the old one, you do however have to contact Microsoft to do it, so essentially it's like transferring your license. We should be able to do that with games too.

I feel like if they don't provide some means for games to be legally transferred from one owner to another then this'll blow up in their faces with even more users modding their systems and running pirated games. Does anyone remember how someone tried to create a third-party matching service for the original xbox for pirated games? I could really see that becoming a reality on the 720 if they do something like this.

So basically, you're saying something similar to the license keys that ended up being the bane of the PC community? That didn't go over so well. All it did was make pirates fight harder.

Yup. My thoughts exactly. I don't see how they could do this anyway. It seems suicidal. What if I wanted to lend a game to a friend? Or what about people like my brother who use Gamefly? It just seems like it would be too much of a hassle. The license key thing was so stupid. Even after all this, people still managed to hack them. Nothing different will change here. I am not going to lie, if Xbox did this, I would probably move to a different console. That would be ridiculous!

Exactly, what about Gamefly, or the Redbox kiosks that rent games? A lot of businesses would be screwed by this decision. Once you buy a game, it's your choice if you want to lend it to someone. I keep hearing the word pirating, but how is it pirating to go to a store and buy a used game that someone doesn't want anymore? That would make Gamestop, eBay, Amazon and Walmart pirates.

If the next Xbox console was to block used games, I would not buy that console, I would concentrate on collecting all the 360 games I don't have. Buying used games cheap and finding hidden treasures in the bargain bin is part of the fun of playing video games.

I heard about this rumor some time ago. Apparently even the new upcoming Sony product was included in this rumor. Gamestop is trying to get rid of used games. I dont know why they would do this. If so I may have to give up on consoles :(

I think having the new system play the previous system games is very important it helps me when i want to make a decision like when i was looking to purchase a Wii i dont think i would have if all my Gamecube games weren't able to work

The main issue is not backwards compatibility with older games. The upsetting and offensive thing is that if you buy a new game, and then you finish it and want to trade it in or give it to a friend, you won't be able to because the game will only work on your machine. That means no more Gamefly, no more used game stores, no more trade ins. Buying used games is a fun hobby for me and I love searching for good old games at yard sales and on Amazon, so if the new consoles won't play used games, I'm out. I also don't like the idea of all games being digital downloads in the future. I like my boxed games with the limited edition art books, having a digital game is not the same. For example the Halo box that looks like Master Chief's helmet, you can't do cool things like that with digital games.

I understand Microsoft if they actually want to do this. Used games are like seeding games. Microsoft want you to buy the original game from them. They want more money...nothing new.

But even if you buy a used game, you still have to pay for downloadable content, so they're still making money from that game even if you buy it used. You also have to pay for XBox Live if you want to play that used game online.

Essentially I think they are leaning us toward buying our games online digitally. Soon consoles will require internet connection. They cut out the middle-man (Gamestop).

Back