Original Xbox xbox games wont display in widescreen!?!?

roarz

Hey Gang,

Ive been an original xbox owner since xmas of 2001. I am on my 3rd unit and still going strong. I love the original xbox. Its just excellent.

Im having some relationship issues though. So ive come to the internet in search of help!

I recently obtained a Sony Wega kd-34xbr960. Im sure everyone here knows what that is but just in case it is a 34 inch widescreen CRT that can put out a 480p, 720p, 1080i signal. It was meant to compliment my classic xbox so i could finally play all my beloved games in widescreen and hd!

I have the original microsoft brand component xbox cables.

The issue is that not even half of my titles that are supposedly widescreen friendly will display in widescreen. There is a page on wiki.com called the List of Xbox games with HD support, that says about HALF of all original xbox games support widescreen 16 : 9

on the xbox dashboard i have it set to widescreen. I have it set to 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

On the tv i just have the video setting to normal, aka it just outputs whatever signal it gets. (i think?)

Freedom fighters
Xmen legends
xmen legends 2
Hulk ultimate destruction
and dragons lair 3d

all of these games pop into widescreen mode upon sticking in the game CD. They all look amaaaaazing, and when i press the display button on my TV it shows that the TV is displaying a16:9 720p signal, and for dragons lair it even shows its displaying at 16:9 1080i (really cool!!)

Grand theft auto 3, vice city, and san andreas
toejam and earl 3
the suffering ties that bind
conker reloaded
advent rising
max panye 2
doom 3
Halo 2

Are all games that the wiki link claims will play in widescreen. But they refuse to display in widescreen on my TV. I have tried going into my TV settings and clicking the Full, or Wide Zoom options under the screen mode but all they do is stretch out the image and make it look fat. I have tried searching in the in-games option menus, and non of these games have any sort of widescreen option to activate. They look better in 4:3 than just stretching them out to fit the screen!

Does anyone have an idea whats going on? 5 of my games look glorious and will display with no issues in widescreen yet nothing else will???

is the wiki link lying? do my second list of titles indeed NOT display in widescreen??? I could have sworn that Halo 2 supported widescreen!

thanks so much guys, I really hope to hear from any of you if you get a spare second to post in the next few days

roarz

Back