Xbox One Xbox going to be tracked as "TV" now

Jessi

1291333524989.png

Nielsen is refining "TV" to also include ipads, Xboxes, Netflix, etc. The Company that tracks what people watch on tv is moving to new technologies to keep their measuring more relevant.

Because there are so many people that view tv shows and movies on these other devices and websites, they're going to start tracking them in order to get a better idea of what people are watching. Would you be okay with them tracking your Xbox viewing habits?

Source: Nielsen Internet TV Ratings

Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about this? I'm pretty sure a major shift will come with the gaming system as a result of this but only time will tell I guess.

No PS3! lol. That shows how superior the Xbox is compare to the PS3! But it's actually true that a lot of people uses their consoles for watching video streams and netflix. Some people I knew even cancelled their cable subscription because they already have netflix.

Edit: I forgot PS3 also have Netflix, I don't use netflix in my PS3 so I totally forgot. My bad, lol

Last edited:
It's about time that Neilson has finally realized that people are moving towards a new medium to watch their programming. They might be using the Xbox as a test bed before expanding into other platforms. It's been reported that people do use the Xbox more as a media device than the ps3.

I wouldn't mind. I am watching the shows on my TV, after all, it only seems appropriate. I wonder how they will work out someone who is watching Netflix on their XBOX while they left their cable box on.

What is with all this monitoring. Can't they just leave us be to watch our programmes and play our games?

Well sure.

But they use that tracking to determine which shows will be continued, for example. It's how we get our ratings and networks decide if a show is popular enough to keep producing or if they should make a different show instead.

Well sure.

But they use that tracking to determine which shows will be continued, for example. It's how we get our ratings and networks decide if a show is popular enough to keep producing or if they should make a different show instead.

True. But the thing is it's a matter of privacy. I don't know how exactly we will benefit from this, it's just another "legal" way of disturbing your privacy and your personal life and habits.
There has to be some massive regulations if we want it to be safe for us in the long term.

Unsurprising. I would personally consider any device that supports Netflix as a "TV" in a way.

I'm not surprised. I don't know why they didn't do this earlier. They already track iTunes sales and so it just makes sense that they would track streaming. I hate being tracked like the next person, but the only positive is that some obscure and cult shows like Bob's Burgers will get more ratings. Hopefully it will keeps shows like that from being cancelled.

I don't have a problem with it. Just so long as it doesn't begin to bleed into and affect how companies make games and what games they make. The last thing we need are video game company execs acting like t.v. execs. And worried about ratings or tracking data over what gamers want in the latest titles.

It's not a completely bad thing, but it's a sign that consoles, computers and TVs are losing their differences and are just becoming the same thing. If that is a bad thing or not, it's for each of us to decide, for me it's definitely bad, because all i want of a console is games!

They definitely should If they are trying to track TV watching, then they would best include shows being watched through all media, the Xbox being included. All these devices are used to watch shows that people want to watch, and I would assume that this company is trying to track watching habits, which are determined by those wants.

Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about this? I'm pretty sure a major shift will come with the gaming system as a result of this but only time will tell I guess.

I wouldn't agree less Peter, I believe that change is in the air

I think it makes sense because a lot of people are using their mobile devices and gaming consoles to watch movies and TV shows. In my opinion, they should have implemented this a long time back. Since people are using so many different ways to access their favorite programs, it makes sense to track all of them in order to get an accurate idea about the viewership details.

This will only lead to more subpar games. I am sure you guys remember the whole motion sensor craze?

No one really cared since the only thing available was exercise games.

Nothing wrong with this, you guys should have nothing worry about if you've done nothing wrong tbh.

I don't think it's really a privacy issue, families who participate in Nielson ratings always know that they're in the program, right? Or does this just mean they're gonna mine the data of everyone's Xbox usage and factor it in? I mostly feel like I'm in favor of this, because I always hear about shows I like getting cancelled, then the people who made it saying things like, "If you factor in how young people actually watch it, our ratings would be better." Although, examples escape me at the moment. Seems like it couldn't hurt to be more accurate in any case though.

Doesn't really sound like a bad idea for Xbox to be tracked as TV, I guess more revenue and jobs will be generated as a result. :)

Back