Xbox live a requirement for using Xbox One?

JRFlurry

Former Moderator
Website
www.facebook.com
Can anyone confirm or deny that Microsoft is making Xbox Live a requirement for using the new Xbox One? I know there is deeper integration of Live but not everyone has broadband access all the time or perhaps even limited bandwidth. I think that would be kind of a dumb move on the part of Microsoft...

Microsoft will be smarter than that to make it online exclusive. They have a high market to gamers who only play arcade and offline, thus not needing connection. I know plenty of younger gamers that have or are limited to online gaming. So it should be considered no. I do not have a source, but hopefully signs point in our direction.

Microsoft is an extremely smart company. They would not alienate potential owners of the new Xbox by requiring them have Xbox Live. It's not a smart business decision and Microsoft is good at making smart business decisions. If anything I would suspect certain apps might no longer require Xbox Live, such as Netflix.

Always-online is one thing, but requiring Xbox Live is kind of irrational when you think about it. I think it's stupid to have to pay for Xbox Live gold to begin with, especially considering that there aren't really any perks to it. Online services on the PS3 are free, and the optional PlayStation Plus includes free games (as long as you have the subscription) and discounts. If Microsoft was really smart, they would implement those kinds of perks to their existing scheme--and that, of course, should include its being optional.

I hope not. Forcing people into that Lions Den as a requirement to use the new Xbox gaming console? Sounds very sinister and unfair at the same time.

This is really not fair if this is true. I think Xbox One is just seeming sinister and sly with things like this. More reasons to buy the PS4 if this is true!

Back