Xbox One Xbox One Always Online Requirements

strangel0ve

Microsoft announced today that the Xbox One will require you to be connected to the internet every 24 hours. This dispels rumors of the always-online DRM method, although it is every 24 hours instead. Every 24 hours, Microsoft checks the game license to ensure that you own the copy of the game you are playing as well. What effect do you think this will have on potential Xbox One sales and the response from gamers? Personally I feel that this is a significant setback for Microsoft, although it is still unsure whether PS4 will have similar requirements.

Via: Polygon

The internet connection isn't just for DRM. IMO MS is moving forward, next gen games will require a online connect. If the PS4 doesn't do this they will be stuck between last gen and next gen.

The problem with this requirement is that not everyone has an internet connection.
Yes, everyone that purchases it does, but sometimes I have my vacation in my grandmother's house and usually take my console to pass the time, only way I'm doing that next generation is if I get a PS4...

I just read that you will only be allowed 24 hours playing time offline after that the console is rendered useless until you reconnect to the internet.
I do not like this idea at all as it means gamers that predominantly play campaigns and parents of young kids will not want to buy that console.

Just a big ol **** you to those living in Rural areas. My best bud in High School who had lots of money and spent an extraordinary amount of it on the Xbox 360 and games lived in the country with a Dial Up connection and cable wasn't an option because he lived so far out. There are going to be some people who literally cannot own an Xbox One due to these restrictions... I'm just shaking my head at how silly that is. Really makes me sad... I don't think we're ready for an always online world just yet because it's going to exclude some people. It just ain't right, I tells ya!

I feel like Microsoft was being pretty disingenuous to say "Oh don't worry it doesn't require a persistent internet connection!" ...by our definition of persistent. To me, every 24 hours is still fairly persistent. If your internet goes out, the cable company won't send someone out to fix it within 24 hours, unless you have some awesome service I've never heard of. I'm pretty disappointed with all of this, I think it's making something simple (you have a game, you can play it) into this horribly complicated system of rules and permissions.

I don't see an issue with the online connection. Its going to download updates when I'm not playing, so if it allows me to game when I want to game and not have to wait for 20 minutes or so for the update to finish, then so what? Your smart phone requires a connection at all times to call people or receive calls. I see it as something like that. Its the part where they control what you do with your games that you buy and want to trade them in for cash or another game. Publishers shouldn't be in control of what you do with your property.

Just a big ol **** you to those living in Rural areas. My best bud in High School who had lots of money and spent an extraordinary amount of it on the Xbox 360 and games lived in the country with a Dial Up connection and cable wasn't an option because he lived so far out. There are going to be some people who literally cannot own an Xbox One due to these restrictions... I'm just shaking my head at how silly that is. Really makes me sad... I don't think we're ready for an always online world just yet because it's going to exclude some people. It just ain't right, I tells ya!

I hear you! I also know someone that lives in a fairly remote location and cannot get any luck with online gaming. He would like an Xbox One, but for the same reasons not being able to go online is putting him off. I'm not sure it is the console to blame though, just the location.

The whole 2nd hand game market is looking to be eradicated by publishers very soon.
They've been looking for ways to get round people selling on their games and others buying them second hand for quite a while now and we've seen some implementation of that with the whole having to buy a activation/license code to use online content etc when you buy a second hand game where someone has already used the code included in the box or on the manual.
I've heard also that once you buy a game and put it into a console, the serial for that disc gets registered to that console and you can't play it in another one. I.E, no taking your games round to your mates for a gaming session!

And those who are saying that the internet connection requirement isn't a bad thing because it will allow updates to occur while you are sleeping is a fair point, I do agree because it is annoying to slap in a disc, hit play and then get that goofy message saying there is an update for this game and not being able to play till you do it!

However, like someone mentioned earlier, I take my console over to my younger sisters' sometime and her flat doesn't have internet, its not going to be fair at all on customers without internet connections.
Its a bit intrusive too as they are forcing you to connect your console to the internet. I kinda like my 360 not being connected for some reason. I still use my PS2 and my N64 which don't need an internet connection (i know the PS2 can for some games) and they get along just fine without updates and the like.

I think this whole updates business is just a way for developers to roll out soft and hard ware that isn't quite right or ready in order to feed the machine and then fix the problems later on by rolling out millions of updates.
Just take the time to get things right in the first place.

So what happens after 24 hours exactly? If you don't ping Microsoft and say that "Hey I got a legit game here", what will happen? Don't tell me that the console will shut down or something along those lines. That sounds a little insane.

Realistically, this won't be an issue for the vast majority of people interested in the One. However, the fact someone can't buy the One for strictly for single player games if they don't use or own the Internet is ridiculous. There shouldn't be a requirement in the first place, even if it is one that's relatively loose in terms of time.

It boggles the mind that Microsoft won't simply say "If you have it, great, but if not no big deal." I'll never understand the urge or desire to push away customers, in this case those with patchy Internet or no Internet at all. There is a corner of the market that wants the system just to play at their house, maybe because they can't access the Internet. Why turn their $ away?

I think the perception that we are moving to this "always online gaming experience". Is just a load of crap and MS just took a big scoop of it. This online requirement is just silly to begin with. Microsoft think they are moving in the right direction. Though, really they are crossing boundaries that people simply don't want to cross.

I think the perception that we are moving to this "always online gaming experience". Is just a load of crap and MS just took a big scoop of it. This online requirement is just silly to begin with. Microsoft think they are moving in the right direction. Though, really they are crossing boundaries that people simply don't want to cross.
Really, so you can't see the gaming possibilities even with single player games with a internet connection and the cloud. I can't wait to see how they use all this to make better games!

No more used games, always on required and this is if you are playing again, because if the kinect detects a new face in the couch, i am pretty sure that thing will threaten your entire family if you don't give it your credit card. Microsoft is pulling the big one with this. A big stupid one!

This unnecessary option just made me change my mind. Even though i have a stable internet connection, not everyone does. People in rural areas usually don't have the satisfaction of high speed internet, or any internet at all. I was actually thinking about buying the Xbox One since they were really making good choices like supporting indie game developers, partnering with certain companies, and then boom. They drop all the bad news to us. Doing this is completely moronic of Microsoft. I don't know what they're thinking right now, but I hope they do know that the sales will not be as high as they expect.

Does anyone even know what the validation process is? They said you don't need the disc in, so what are they validating? Are they going to make you re-enter your password? I can't figure out what it's actually doing to validate it's you playing the Xbox. If it just connect to the internet and sees that the game is still linked to your account and allows it, I don't understand why it needs to check that every 24 hours. Can't it just keep working until you change something on your account? This whole thing makes no sense to me. And if I'm at a friend's house, do I have to enter my password every hour while trying to play a game and enjoy it? That seems incredibly annoying.

The only thing I have an issue with (okay, well I have other issues but those are for other threads) is the "Since every XBOX One user has a broadband connection.." statement. First, no one owns one yet, and it's an awfully presumptious statement. This leaves out service members, people in rural areas among others who just flat out can't get the console. It's a slap in the face to those people and I truly think it's a bad move.

I wont be buying one after reading this crap. I should not have to connect to the internet and paying a fee to play a used or borrowed game is ridiculous.

I wont be buying one after reading this crap. I should not have to connect to the internet and paying a fee to play a used or borrowed game is ridiculous.
There isn't a fee to play used or borrowed games. Any real next gen console is going to have to connect to the internet, if it doesn't it will be out dated and look like last gen.

Back