Xbox One Xbox one controller review / impressions (uncovered)

Ag3nt1

IMG_3027.jpg

I was asked to go into more detail about the X1 controller since I actually had hands on with this beauty 2 weeks ago. So I decided to at least share my information with all of you so that everybody can be satisfied at the same time. Keep in mind that the X1 controller does have 40 new improvements, and I am gong to share "my favorite" parts, and what I believe is the most important to you all. If any of you have any questions that you want to know please ask away.

When I first saw this controller upfront and personal I was in awe. I even asked the Xbox One employee next to me for permission to pick it up, so he giggled! Of course he giggled as I am in front of the demo station for the public to experience it. As soon as I picked up the controller for the first time, I felt the difference right away (due to muscle memorization of holding the Xbox 360 controller for the past 8 years).

First thing your going to notice is how much lighter it is compared to the 360 controller. The controller was extremely solid, and lightweight, which is great for long game sessions, and no way did it feel cheap, or under developed. It was just a smooth solid lightweight feel to it.

Next thing I noticed right away is the extreme comfort the controller design provides. I couldn't believe how comfortable it actually was. One of the greatest details that is part of the 40 improvements of this controller is one that actually wasn't mentioned anywhere else until now. The whole design of the controller has been angled outward on the bottom, and more inward on the top where you wrap your hands around, so that your arm is more flushed with your wrist. I remember playing long game sessions with the X360 controller, and after a long while both of my wrists would feel locked up because they would be bent for a long period of time. I don't think that I am going to experience that problem with the X1 controller at all. So all of you will notice that change as well which I find it a plus.

Next thing I would like to talk about are the triggers, and buttons. Everything was solid, and smooth. The actual triggers have been re-designed to perfection. The most impressive innovative featured that I got to experience in the demo station were the new rumble installments into the controller. This is the part of the controller where all of you will drop your jaw once you experience it for yourself, because the PS4 contorller doesn't even have these features. Rumble motors have been installed in the triggers which expands your gaming experience immensely, especially if your into FPS. For Ex: When I shoot a weapon in a game, you will actually feel the recoil of the weapon being shot, and once you run out of bullets you will actually feel that your gun is empty, and now you know you need to reload. When you turn on a your car, it starts off with a slow vibration, and then once the car is completely on it's at full vibration. And you can feel all of this from start to finish "gradually" with the rumble installments. I also got to experience a helicopter being turned on, which is like turning on the car, but more powerful vibration.

Well there it is.. I think I covered the most important parts of what you may want to know the most. All of you should be very excited about what is going to be in your hands in 2 months, because I know I am. Once again, if I have missed something that you may want to know, I am open to any questions. Thank you all. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up! Which games were you able to demo?

Awesome write up! I can't wait to take it for a play session.

To be honest with you I was playing RYSE, and I loved it. In the Demo-Station though, they had a little computer attached to the X1 controller. It demoed how the new rumble installments work for every type of game.

The most impressive innovative featured that I got to experience in the demo station were the new rumble installments into the controller. This is the part of the controller where all of you will drop your jaw once you experience it for yourself, because the PS4 contorller doesn't even have these features. Rumble motors have been installed in the triggers which expands your gaming experience immensely, especially if your into FPS. For Ex: When I shoot a weapon in a game, you will actually feel the recoil of the weapon being shot, and once you run out of bullets you will actually feel that your gun is empty, and now you know you need to reload. When you turn on a your car, it starts off with a slow vibration, and then once the car is completely on it's at full vibration. And you can feel all of this from start to finish "gradually" with the rumble installments. I also got to experience a helicopter being turned on, which is like turning on the car, but more powerful vibration.

Wow! That's actually a really nice touch, I'm glad controller rumble has been innovated since it's been an area that hasn't seen a lot of attention for a while. I'm excited to shoot guns now.

IMG_3030.jpg
Yeah trust me. I am very excited about it, and since MS Xbox as always been known for FPS, I am ready for the next gen.

Wow, I am really looking forward to the Xbox one. It will be really good for those COD games. Seems like the real improvement to the old controller.

Awesome. That's really neat about the trigger vibrating in an fps until you run out of ammo. Thanks for the write-up.

You are all very welcome. I did forget to mention about the analog sticks. The sticks are actually a bit smaller in circumference than the 360 controller, but built with a lot more grip due to the new design. I think that pretty much covers it. Please let me know if you guys have questions. I know I can use some post accumulation. :)

How light does it feel in comparison to the previous controller? Does it still have that sturdy build feel to it? Because of the reasons i liked the 360 controller is how well molded it was into my hands, with that great feel of weight into it.

Its not to much lighter, and Yes it's sturdy, and solid. No worries.

The controller sounds awesome. It is going to make the gameplay so rich with the rumble motors. Lighter controllers are better because then you don't have to feel like you're lugging a brick round when you're playing a game.

I'm glad they aren't changing it much. The Xbox 360 was one of my favorite controllers ever, so it's good that they're sticking to what made it great, while taking on a few extra features.

I'm actually really excited for the new controller. I've seen other videos and posts about it and it just makes me more excited.
They definitely upgraded as long as it meets all of the expectations.

joysticks

How do the joysticks feel? Do they have grips on them like the xbox 360 controller? Are there any new buttons or advanced controllers that will make it differ greatly from the original xbox 360 controller?
Thanks!

IMG_3022.jpg

How do the joysticks feel? Do they have grips on them like the xbox 360 controller? Are there any new buttons or advanced controllers that will make it differ greatly from the original xbox 360 controller?
Thanks!

I believe my review that I posted on top covered the questions that your asking now. But just incase I didn't explain it correctly... The "CONTROLLER" feels very comfortable, and very solid. The buttons, and triggers are extremely smooth, and overall it is a major improvement from the xbox 360 controller. It is completely re-designed that makes the controller "better" NOT "worse". You will not be disappointed. There is no battery pack on the bottom so there is a lot more room for your fingers to go. As you can see from the picture above that I personally took, the handles are deeper. You will be able to grip the controller a lot better than you could have with the X360 controller.

Back