Xbox One Xbox One exec says Sony PS4 tech specs are "meaningless"

AvalonX

Awesome PR from Microsoft continues.

Speaking to OXM at Microsoft's Xbox One reveal last month, Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello has downplayed technical comparisons between Xbox One and PS4, arguing that hardware analysis is "meaningless" when "our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good as, if not better" than those you'll find on competing consoles.

In a way, he has a point but it sure sounds like a defense against a stronger console this early on.

Via: OXM

He does have a point. People don't buy consoles because of the hardware specs, they buy it because of the games. Games basically judge everything, so if one console has the better game, people will most likely choose that console. We can't really decide as of yet from just numbers, we have to test the games out, get a feel for the console and their specs, and then judge it from there. From the exclusives Microsoft offered though, I have a feeling their games will be better than what the PS4 offers.

He is completely right, sadly forums like GAF will take this as damage control.

No system has ever won a generation based on hardware power, just look at the 3DS and Vita.

with off console computing its pointless.

both consoles are next gen both will last 5-10years with technology unless nasa or someone makes a world changing find... both ps4/xb1 have same general computing power and developers are making multiplatform games that will work great on both. if the specs were that big of a deal one system would flop and one would take off just in computing... we are not in late 80 early 90 computing like he said with 16 vs 32 processing.

i think what its going to come down to in the years to come is how the two will get 3rd party involved with apps and stable programs/intigration. ps4 is behind the ball with their camera thus far for seamless intigration.. they are not trying to tackle controlerless control where microsoft is trying to push the envelope. with all the talks of time warner cable app hitting the net its making xb1 look not as developed but we arnt complaning about time warner app and how sweet it could be or how its not necessary on a console people are excited for it.. yet its something xb1 has been trying to push and get people excited for and the industry is saying ohh we dont want it or need it... yet they are excited for it.. just dont get it.

Well, with recent news the power difference between the two consoles is even smaller than we first thought. However, talking tech specs when we really don't know exactly what is in either box is pretty meaningless to me and a waste of time. Also, I consider myself a gamer, to me that means that I enjoy games of all types and flavors as long as they are done well enough for me to immerse my self in what the creators wanted me to experience. Heck, I could pull out the SNES and get my blue bomber on and be just as satisfied doing that as I would playing any current gen game on he market now.

Graphics aren't everything, and as I grow older I find that I want to see more ways of playing games than just using a controller. I want to see innovation within my hobby. Not just prettier graphics. Without innovation in gaming we would all still be using a mouse and keyboard to play our games with instead of being able to experience things like joysticks, wheels and controllers let alone consoles. I see more room for innovation in Microsoft's console by far with Kinect and the way they designed their box with forward thinking and the cloud than I do in Sony's. In fact Sony is doing the opposite and stifling innovation by not even including their camera in the box and using off the shelf parts just so they could beat Microsoft in price.

They are meaningless because 99% of the games will multiplatform and will be mostly identical anyway.

Plus, it doesn't really matter what a Microsoft guy says about the PS4. Just like it doesn't matter what a Sony guy says about the Xbox One. They will always try to downplay their opponent and try to make their product look superior. It's how PR works. It's how business works. It's not even news worthy.

I think he is right. Quite frankly, this is how I'd prefer console and game makers think about gaming, great games trump great graphics to me. Graphics are more just a nice icing on the cake, to me. I mean, isn't the PS3 technically more powerful than the 360? But I never considered a PS3 because I knew I wanted to keep playing Halo games. I think it's a bit worth considering that the Xbox One is less powerful but also $100 more expensive. I suppose that's mostly due to the fact you're getting a Kinect with it, but if it's anything like the current state of Xbox gaming, I'd rather have $100 than a Kinect. But, in the end, I think if Microsoft has more killer titles, they'll do better, simple as that.

Well in terms of multiplatform games maybe, but make no mistake that when developers for Sony take full advantage of the PS4's power we will see some pretty amazing games released. Specs may not be everything but they will never be meaningless. So let's wait and see a couple of years so we can see what both companies have put on their respective systems. Still, Microsoft have been on PR campaign to get the bad taste of DRM and always online out of everyone's mouth.

I do think Microsoft is doing a bit too much talking at this point. I say let the console and its hardware speak for itself. I agree that it's about the games, but if there are any magnificent technological leaps in either console, they're certainly going to attract attention (not that I'm expecting that to happen). Personally, I'd like to sit back and see how they both do in terms of consistency, since up to this point we're just taking their word for it.

Only with idiots, anyone willing to actually use some thought will understand what he is saying.

Um, not really, with that logic the Xbox One's tech specs are "meaningless". Nothing more than the equivalent of a politcal attack ad.

Um, not really, with that logic the Xbox One's tech specs are "meaningless". Nothing more than the equivalent of a politcal attack ad.

You clearly don't understand what he is saying, he is saying that the specs difference between the XOne and PS4 do not matter but instead it's the games that matter.

It's the equivalent in the car racing world where people say raw stats don't matter what matters is how it does on the track.

If specs are all that matter to you, you shouldn't be buying a PS4 or Xbox One.

I agree - the only real difference between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 right now is the games. Yes, there are other things, but generally performance isn't really the issue. I expect it will be pretty much exactly the same when the Xbox One and PS4 come out. Really the only thing that makes me favor the PS4 slightly is the lower price, but that doesn't mean I automatically consider it superior to the Xbox One.

its a crap shoot either way.. both systems are going to be able to run the same big box games... which if you think about it are what will push the hardware or make developers go exclusive to one over the other. neither of which has occured... if the xb1 was not up to the task companies would be steping away from the console. their is going to be a point where the xb1 and ps4 have limiting factors but we are a long way from that point. the computing power needed to run games is no where near the capabilities of the consoles these days. whats going to make the diffrence is how stable the systems are and processing...

whats going to suck is tv's that are laggy or slow down with 60fps with tons of computing needed... but people will say ohh im lagging or ohh its my connection ect ect.. when it reality it has nothing to do with it. plus servers are going to take over the multiplayer so ping and lag are not bias...

what also is going to be intresting is the new time warner app.... and the xb1 tv conectivity... these are things the ps4 is not talking about.. whch does put xb1 on top in my eyes.

I'm pretty sure if Xbox One was the more powerful console he'd be touting the benefits of purchasing the Xbox One over PS4. I don't believe the difference will be to noticeable to the naked eye at the beginning of this generation, but as developers become more comfortable with the hardware PS3 could show its additional power. Remember though, the most powerful console doesn't necessarily always win. Wii was by far the less powerful console compared to 360 and PS3, and they sold like hotcakes upon release. It'll be an interesting generation to say the least.

If the PS4 has more power why is it having such a hard time running games at 60FPS, while the X1 isn't having any problems? MS already has the next Halo running at 60FPS and the game is more than a year away.

Microsoft has to learn when to shut up. This is some grade A stupidity at this point. Yes, the Xbox One hardware on paper at this point is less than the PS4, and yes he does have a point. But people who have been riding the Sony train ever since E3 are going to eat this one up. But, it may end well for the consumer. Hopefully because of another backlash they will drop the Kinect and make it cheaper. But seriously, Microsoft, just be quiet for a few days will you?

You sir are absolutely right. I cannot recall any time that a console was heralded by the players for its awesome brute power that was displayed while they were gaming.

And I think Xbox are right in saying that the experience is going to be what counts at the end of the day. I had a ps3, I had blu ray, I had free online multiplayer. All the things my friends who had a ps3 told me were the things so great about the ps3 over the 360 ( not much really ay). Well, I still have an arcade 360 at home... No ps3 though!

The 360 truly offers the superior experience from everything from the home screen menus to the multiplayer capabilities and the Microsoft store. Ps3 was just boring to me.

He's not completely off base, but I think it's inaccurate to say the specs on competing consoles are meaningless. Say somebody is on the fence between the One and PS4, and they've considered every other factor, I think the specs become important. I must admit, since the One and PS4 are so similar, it's even less of an issue, but I have to say that the Wii U being a less-powerful console makes it less appealing to me. Graphics/processing power aren't everything, but they definitely come into play at some point. When I already have little reason to want a particular console, it doesn't help when the competing consoles are much more powerful.

To sum it up, the average consumer probably doesn't care much, but a significant part of the demographic does.

Back