Xbox One Xbox One Memory Performance Improved for Production Console

FordGTGuy

From
Portsmouth, VA
Well-placed development sources have told Digital Foundry that the ESRAM embedded memory within the Xbox One processor is considerably more capable than Microsoft envisaged during pre-production of the console, with data throughput levels up to 88 per cent higher in the final hardware.

Bandwidth is at a premium in the Xbox One owing to the slower DDR3 memory employed in the console, which does not compare favourably to the 8GB unified pool of GDDR5 in the PlayStation 4. The 32MB of "embedded static RAM" within the Xbox One processor aims to make up the difference, and was previously thought to sustain a peak theoretical throughput of 102GB/s - useful, but still some way behind the 176GB/s found in PlayStation 4's RAM set-up. Now that close-to-final silicon is available, Microsoft has revised its own figures upwards significantly, telling developers that 192GB/s is now theoretically possible.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

Hopefully this is true. A gimped more expensive system will not be good for Microsoft. I just want 3rd party games to be identical.

Hopefully this is true. A gimped more expensive system will not be good for Microsoft. I just want 3rd party games to be identical.

A gimped system, you got to be kidding me. People don't yet have all the information about both consoles, until they do it's really hard to do a fair comparison. The reason the X1 is more expensive is because it has a lot more features.

A gimped system, you got to be kidding me. People don't yet have all the information about both consoles, until they do it's really hard to do a fair comparison. The reason the X1 is more expensive is because it has a lot more features.

I don't know about that. The reason it is so expensive is the ERAM and Kinect. The advantage the PS4 has is there are no tricks needed in the dev process to use the additional bandwidth.

the article basicly debunked the downclocking rumor too.

God willing. Not because I care which is better but I really want the X1 to be close so there is no gap in performance in third party ports.

I love the xbox one, but am not blind. I have been gaming for 24 years and have seen a lot of bs statements issued by every company.If the xbox one was more powerful than the ps4 don't you think MS would of said so, just to stuff it in sony face? Give me a break. It doesnt matter anyway only first party titles will show the true power of each system. Just buy both at some point and enjoy the games.

I don't know about that. The reason it is so expensive is the ERAM and Kinect. The advantage the PS4 has is there are no tricks needed in the dev process to use the additional bandwidth.

God willing. Not because I care which is better but I really want the X1 to be close so there is no gap in performance in third party ports.
I consider Kinect to be a feature, also HDMI in, and the extra hardware for cloud processing.
The esram is not a trick, it's been done before.

I love the xbox one, but am not blind. I have been gaming for 24 years and have seen a lot of bs statements issued by every company.If the xbox one was more powerful than the ps4 don't you think MS would of said so, just to stuff it in sony face? Give me a break. It doesnt matter anyway only first party titles will show the true power of each system. Just buy both at some point and enjoy the games.

Finding extra memory, or different uses for memory ect., even after the hardware has been out for a couple years has happened lots of times before, nothing new here.

You describing harnessing the power after the console has been out for a few years. I am saying it's funny how M$ engineers just "found" that the esram can read and write simultaneously all of a sudden as the chips are coming off the chopping block.You don't think that M$ engineers would of known the capabilities of the chips before starting production? Seems fishy to me. Don't get me wrong I hope it's true, in fact I hope the new theoretical speed of 192 GB's a second is true. It would level the playing field.

You describing harnessing the power after the console has been out for a few years. I am saying it's funny how M$ engineers just "found" that the esram can read and write simultaneously all of a sudden as the chips are coming off the chopping block.You don't think that M$ engineers would of known the capabilities of the chips before starting production? Seems fishy to me. Don't get me wrong I hope it's true, in fact I hope the new theoretical speed of 192 GB's a second is true. It would level the playing field.
No, I said finding something that was not know until after the hardware was final, and production was started. This even happened with the Atari 2600, the games were only 1K and then engineers found that one could use up to 8K. This is just like the X1, the engineers after testing the final version of the ram found out it could be make to handle data faster. I don't find any thing fishy here, they always do extensive testing on the first production runs.

The whole article sounded like it was for quenching the low yeilds/ down clocking rumor.

quote from the article "The news doesn't quite square with previous rumours suggesting that fabrication issues with the ESRAM component of the Xbox One processor had actually resulted in a downclock for the GPU, reducing its overall capabilities and widening the gulf between graphical components of the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4. While none of our sources are privy to any production woes Microsoft may or may not be experiencing with its processor, they are making actual Xbox One titles and have not been informed of any hit to performance brought on by production challenges. To the best of their knowledge, 800MHz remains the clock speed of the graphics component of the processor, and the main CPU is operating at the target 1.6GHz. In both respects, this represents parity with the PlayStation 4."

I don't think you know what you are talking about from all of your posts.

You state that the Xbox one has extra hardware to support the cloud . Not true. Any type of device that can be connected to the internet can use the cloud. It's just servers that store info. or can be used as dedicated servers for multiplayer (TITANFALL) Even PS4 can use the "cloud". There is no such thing as a "cloud" chip.

I understand you are a blind M$ fanboy and that is ok. However it's OK if the xbox one isn't as powerful as the PS4. The PS3 theoretically pushed 3x times as many Gflops as Xbox 360 but the games looked better on the 360.

If you don't find something fishy about a 88% increase in speed just after E3 and all the bad press M$ got then you truly are silly.

Come on man.

I don't think you know what you are talking about from all of your posts.

You state that the Xbox one has extra hardware to support the cloud . Not true. Any type of device that can be connected to the internet can use the cloud. It's just servers that store info. or can be used as dedicated servers for multiplayer (TITANFALL) Even PS4 can use the "cloud". There is no such thing as a "cloud" chip.

I understand you are a blind M$ fanboy and that is ok. However it's OK if the xbox one isn't as powerful as the PS4. The PS3 theoretically pushed 3x times as many Gflops as Xbox 360 but the games looked better on the 360.

If you don't find something fishy about a 88% increase in speed just after E3 and all the bad press M$ got then you truly are silly.

Come on man.

I'm sorry man but it's you that doesn't have a proper understanding of what is going on.

The Xbox One was built with 4 DMEs that can uncompress/compress at 200MB/s without taxing the CPU. This allows for any data sent from the cloud to be highly compressed with enough data to actually allow for cloud computing to work.

For the technically inclined, this might be plausible good news, but "theoretical" isn't really enough and most certainly won't win over or sway the general opinion after those first specs were released. I find it a little odd that their technicians would overlook something like that, only to figure it out after the comparison in memory, but I suppose it's not impossible. I hope it does deliver some of that possible power on release.

So if you don't have your xbone connected to the internet at all times how are you going to take advantage of that? So people that don't have internet or at least a solid connection won't be able to use the power of the cloud. Why would someone in that position not just buy a ps4 that is stronger without it?

So if you don't have your xbone connected to the internet at all times how are you going to take advantage of that? So people that don't have internet or at least a solid connection won't be able to use the power of the cloud. Why would someone in that position not just buy a ps4 that is stronger without it?

Why not just buy a PC?

Agreed. General public does not care about this stuff. They care about games. Console that has the most AAA titles wins.

I Don't know. I have fast internet and a PC. But I like consoles for ease of operation. You know sitting on my couch Sunday morning with a Mcgriddle in my mouth and controller I'm my hands pwning noobs on my 55".

Well the technology has been improving in the years since the 360's released, so the biggest selling point for the Xbox One for me is its updated "power" so to speak. I'm still not planning on getting one right away, but now it seems like there's a tangible difference in the One than the existing 360 that's more than just superficial. I think consoles need to be updated in a fashion similar to PCs, since it gets to the point where the hardware won't be able to handle the software if it continues down the same path.

Back