Xbox One Xbox One requires Kinect connection

Dr23

xbox-one-kinect-sensor_1280.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

I'm not sure if you've all heard, but Xbox One reportedly requires you to have your Kinect connected at all times. I've seen this as a rumor, but it appears several sites are saying that it has been confirmed.

Your Kinect will need to be connected in order for the Xbox One to function, Microsoft announced at an event today in London.

"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes," Microsoft's Harvey Eagle told press (as reported by IGN).

This may sound familiar. That's because Kotaku reported it back in February, along with the system's specs and the fact that Xbox One will require game installations.

This is pretty interesting. The 360 didn't care if you disconnected Kinect. Now the new system forces you to have it at least connected to the system. I could see this troubling some people as Kinect is quickly becoming this all-seeing, all-hearing presence in your house. For instance, I've seen some people comment how it's kind of creepy that it's always listening in case you ever say "Xbox On". This means it's aware of who is in the room, if anyone, and what you're saying at all times.

This also branches off of the discussion that Microsoft was going to focus specific advertisements to users through Kinect technology. If it's always listening and always watching, it should be pretty easy to pick up on keywords that can then be given to potential advertisers.

Kind of creepy stuff.

Thoughts?

Via: Kotaku

Microsoft is keen on wanting to watch you at all times, so it makes sure you ain't playing used games!
Seriously, what is this even? They went from a console, to a freaking complete media center... with no games!

I have heard these rumors too, with many websites confirming them. You know it will always be watching, or listening, since you will be able to turn it on with a voice command. The question is whether or not it is gathering information secretly, in a way similar to Facebook and Skype?

This is a new generation of gaming, so we can expect it to be incredibly flawed at first. Over time it will become more tuned for the users and gamers.

As for XBox One requiring an internet connection once a day, I see a large amount of issues that will be had with this. If they would just look at what they did with Photoshop: Photoshop's new platform is requiring that you to connect once a month. Rumor has it that companies are starting to do this to help fight piracy, although they will give you many other reason instead. Photoshop users have already had many issues with this and it's only requiring them to connect once a month. Perhaps they should rethink this with the XBox One and in time, find a different way to approach this connectivity.

They want you to be able to experience everything that Xbox One has to provide. Kinect is part of the console now, whether you think the two parts are separate or not. Its not that big of deal IMO.

They want to integrate the Kinect even more, like the Wii did with the wiimote rather than just making it an optional device. I wonder if the Kinect would be bundled with the new system at the cheap price that is being talked about in another thread. Or will gamers need to pay extra for it. If gamers need to pay extra, then I feel that Microsoft mainly thinking of generating more revenue with the device. I hope that they are able to address the issues of the original Kinect though.

They want to integrate the Kinect even more, like the Wii did with the wiimote rather than just making it an optional device. I wonder if the Kinect would be bundled with the new system at the cheap price that is being talked about in another thread. Or will gamers need to pay extra for it. If gamers need to pay extra, then I feel that Microsoft mainly thinking of generating more revenue with the device. I hope that they are able to address the issues of the original Kinect though.

Seeing how all these news sites are saying that the Xbox One requires the Kinect to function, I'm sure they would include it in the box with the console just like a controller.

This has made me angry, I don't like having my Kinect connected, let alone ALL the time! that just doesn't smell right at all. Spying? :)

I think in this situation that the connect will come with the console when you first buy it, there's no point in selling a console that will not work without a kinect, so just like with controllers,
I don't think they will sell them alone without a vital piece to put it all together.

To voice my opinion about the whole thing itself, I don't really have too much of a problem of it having to be on, every new system adds something different and this is just one of those things. I agree it is a little creepy though, it always being on, listening, waiting, but I'm sure you'r able to turn the whole xbox/kincet off so that's what I would be doing anyways to save what little bit of electricity and paranoia that it causes. I could totally see them using it to listen in to what you're saying though and send that to their advertisements to know what type of advertisements would be a fit for you though, I hope they don't, because I'm sure once it's found out there would be a lot of hell to answer to.

I just kinda hope that all of my games, I don't end up having to use the kinect for. If I wanted a Wii, I would buy one. I just want a controller and my game, not having to move around unless I feel like playing a moving around type of game.

I think in this situation that the connect will come with the console when you first buy it, there's no point in selling a console that will not work without a kinect, so just like with controllers,
I don't think they will sell them alone without a vital piece to put it all together.

To voice my opinion about the whole thing itself, I don't really have too much of a problem of it having to be on, every new system adds something different and this is just one of those things. I agree it is a little creepy though, it always being on, listening, waiting, but I'm sure you'r able to turn the whole xbox/kincet off so that's what I would be doing anyways to save what little bit of electricity and paranoia that it causes. I could totally see them using it to listen in to what you're saying though and send that to their advertisements to know what type of advertisements would be a fit for you though, I hope they don't, because I'm sure once it's found out there would be a lot of hell to answer to.

I just kinda hope that all of my games, I don't end up having to use the kinect for. If I wanted a Wii, I would buy one. I just want a controller and my game, not having to move around unless I feel like playing a moving around type of game.

The Wii and the Xbox Kinect are two completely different things. The voice control on the Kinect I can see being used a lot to make life easier on you when using the console. They want you to be able to experience the future of Xbox with the Kinect. Xbox 360 didn't launch with it, otherwise it would have probably been stuffed with a Kinect at retail as well. Lucky for some of us they continued to make Xbox 360's without the Kinect in the box, which I bought. I haven't yet jumped on board with the Kinect, but I wouldn't mind getting one with my new Xbox to be able to experience all the cool options they've already showcased at the demo.

I'm not sure how I feel about this as in one hand you have a system that can respond to you when you want by voice control, but then on the other you have something which can potentially record and report all that you say.
I just don't think I am so lazy I am willing to trade my privacy so I don't have to get up off the sofa.

Great, so what we can expect in online MP games is a huge amount of 'echo' and feedback because of the Kinect. :mad:

Great, so what we can expect in online MP games is a huge amount of 'echo' and feedback because of the Kinect. :mad:

Lets just hope that all games start to use similar options to mute all but your game party or individual players easily like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 does online now.

I don't like this one bit, I keep my XBox in my bedroom, is Kinect going to watch me sleep? or record my sexy-times? fair enough that shouldn't take up too much space, but still...

There's not really an issue with this if they're providing it, because then it just becomes another appendage to a new generation of console gaming like PS3's new controller, the Wii remote or the dance mat even.

What I really don't like about it is the idea that it could see how many people are in a room; theoretically this can be used to apply fee's to rented DVD's online. For example, you purchase a license to watch 'The Hangover' for three days on xbox, but what you didn't know is that license protects against HOW MANY people get to watch it. For example, four people are in the room watching Hangover and a 5th walks in, Kinect senses this and pauses the DVD until you cough up the extra fee. Not necessarily what's going to happen but its a feature that could easily be provided if they wanted to do it.

It is certainly creepy, but I think a lot of the negative feeling we get around being told we HAVE to do something comes from the fact we're getting forced to do it.

Back