Xbox One Xbox One to be Advertisers Heaven

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
According to Will Burns, a Contributor for Forbes, the Xbox One will not only be the next-generation of gaming on the console, but the next-generation of how we see and interact with advertisements on the console and the TV programming side.

He predicts that with the way that you can use voice command, direct TV with your voice using Kinect, that it will allow you to pause what your watching and ask for more info regarding advertisements. Which would then popup a side screen showcasing more information about the advertisement. For example, you know those Godaddy commercials where there's normally a hot girl or two doing something and they tell you to go to godaddy's website to see what happens next? Well you could say "see what happens next" and the internet browser would popup, pause your show, and display more about godaddy. That's just a small example of how it could work. Advertisers are brilliant when it comes to Television advertisements and I'm sure this would change the game and offer numerous ways to allow an advertisement to interact with the viewer.

It will allow you to see a product and be able to buy it directly using just your voice and the Kinect. To advertisers, that's a dream that they've been waiting for, for a long time now.

Now, only if we can get it so the advertisements are not 10 times louder than my show.......

I think the Playstation also patented something similar to this. Overall, I'm happy to see this but I'm cautious. This could be the introduction of games that are significantly cheaper but include advertisements. For example, for multi-player games there could be a 10 second advertisement shown to everyone in the lobby which makes the game completely free. However, it could backfire. I can see companies getting greedy and selling a $60 game with advertisements and another $10 to turn them off.

Advertisements are my favorite way of making games free. I prefer them much more than any aesthetic changes or paying for double xp and extra weapons. Hopefully it will be implemented well and it may end up being a plus side for the user, advertiser and the game company.

As for the volume, that's just bad advertising. Hopefully, Microsoft will review advertisements and make sure that the volume is natural and isn't any louder than the television show or game.

That's a really cool option that they added, and I think it'll be used a lot.

The most potential for this would probably be their own games, Xbox games, or gaming in general. I don't think the users will go out of their way to search for things they don't like. Some advertisements may not get any interest at all, which is a big downside with this feature.

Overall, the voice feature is very nifty, and simplifies a lot of things.

Interesting.

It'll also be an advertisers heaven because they will have an absolutely ridiculous amount of information on each and every consumer. They'll know exactly what we watch, what we play and what we search. They'll know almost everything if you include the fact the Kinect can determine how many people are in the room and what they're saying. It'll be extremely easy to target individuals directly.

I remember hearing of a patent that was filed a while back stating the Kinect would know if you're looking away and would pause whatever form of media you were watching until you looked back at the screen. Interesting idea, but horrifying when applied to the topic of sitting through commercials.

I agree that advertising is tolerable when there is a considerable return (lower prices, for example), but there's only so much I can take. If I'm expected to pay $60-70 for a new game, why should I have to look at ads? If the console itself costs several hundred dollars, there shouldn't be any ads on the dashboard, either. On the other hand, if they can tailor ads to be more relevant to users' tastes and preferences (and do it well), it wouldn't be such a huge distraction. I know that companies need to make money, but if it gets to the point where it interferes with the players' enjoyment of the games, they're all going to end up losing a lot of money.

That said, I generally like this idea, but I sincerely doubt that I would use it myself. I almost never buy products that I see on TV; most things I buy are items that I've done considerable research on to begin with. I can't imagine making an impulse buy through the Kinect or anywhere else.

Yes, more and efficient ways to shove some advertisements down out throats. Can't these new generation consoles do what they used to do best, video games, you might have heard about them somewhere!

Back