Xbox One Xbox One WIll Never Come Without Kinect

NatureSun

Microsoft's Phil Harrison has said that the Xbox One will always come with a Kinect even down the line.

Recently, when it was announced that Xbox One won't be needing Kinect to run, people speculated that Microsoft may announce a Kinect free bundle sometime soon. This statement, now has pretty much put that rumour to rest.

Read more here:

Via: IGN

Microsoft says Xbox One will never sell without Kinect

i am glad to hear this. its the only way that development will continue.. it will get better just give it time. use kinect and let it get data.. developers will use the tecnology when they know how to.

who knows you may be playing cod/bf4 and giving hand gestures when rushing a room.

Microsoft executive Phil Harrison shoots down any hope for an Xbox One bundle that does not include the Kinect motion controller.

"Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem," Phil Harrison, a Microsoft corporate vice president, told CVG in response to a question on whether or not the Xbox One will ever be sold without the Kinect.

I kind of hoping that wasn't going to be the case. Merged these threads by the way!

I am happy about this. Now every one will be on the same page. Even witht he developers knowing that ecery person will have a KiNect with their X1

But, didn't they say that they wouldn't force the Kinect down their customer's throats? Now we will be stuck over paying for something that will never leave the box and if it does is to take out the things behind it.

If they include Kinect with every XBO, that is good for developers so they can use it in more unique ways. That is an advantage it has over PS4.

This way, game devs know that every XBO owner will have a Kinect. So they can afford to spend time thinking up imaginitive ways to use it whereas with the PS4 it's just another optional accessory.

Developers can come up with any imaginative ways to use Kinect, but if a game has a "better with Kinect" sticker and not a "Requires Kinect" one, I bet most people will just ignore Kinect anyway. Microsoft kind of had a chance to release a cheaper, Kinectless Xbox One to compete with the PS4's pricing, which would have helped the X1's sales but I guess they didn't want to do that.

I completely understand why they have taken this step to make it mandatory. More devs will actually be encouraged to do something more inventive and amazing with it since everybody would own a Kinect.

I completely understand why they have taken this step to make it mandatory. More devs will actually be encouraged to do something more inventive and amazing with it since everybody would own a Kinect.

Exactly. I mean look at DR3 and even Forza 5. Yeah you dont hae to use them but they are nice touches that make the game more...IDK I guess alive? It just adds a new side to it

I'm sure that although many people thought that since Microsoft has changed their stance on so many things n such a short amount of time, that maybe they might change their mind of Kinect as well. Seems like that will definitely not be the case though and I'm ok with that, especially since now Kinect isn't mandatory anymore. Still, I have a feeling that an Xbox One without Kinect would be $100 cheaper.

I'm sure that although many people thought that since Microsoft has changed their stance on so many things n such a short amount of time, that maybe they might change their mind of Kinect as well. Seems like that will definitely not be the case though and I'm ok with that, especially since now Kinect isn't mandatory anymore. Still, I have a feeling that an Xbox One without Kinect would be $100 cheaper.

I think it could be but in all honesty that KiNECT adds SO much more value to it

Going to have to wait and see. It could work. Depends what developers do with it. I'd love a feature to not have to use it on parts of games. You know.. the days I've been drinking and all.

Well that sucks. I don't need one, but I'll have to pay for it anyway? And yeah I hear folks saying it'll help developers, but that assumes that developers actually want to bother with it in the first place. I mean what exactly does integrating the Kinect cost in terms of time, money, and effort? Considering many dev teams have issues with traditional modes of gaming, I seriously doubt most of them are going to want to burden themselves with Kinect nonsense. Then again maybe I'm not giving them enough credit... maybe.

Well that sucks. I don't need one, but I'll have to pay for it anyway? And yeah I hear folks saying it'll help developers, but that assumes that developers actually want to bother with it in the first place. I mean what exactly does integrating the Kinect cost in terms of time, money, and effort? Considering many dev teams have issues with traditional modes of gaming, I seriously doubt most of them are going to want to burden themselves with Kinect nonsense. Then again maybe I'm not giving them enough credit... maybe.

Part of the problem is that people are seeing it as they saw the original Kinect. And they believe it's an "all or nothing" approach with it. I almost believe that Microsoft should never have released the original Kinect and made people's first view of such a thing part of the Xbox One. Because while the original sold 24 million+, the tech wasn't there.

HOWEVER, I will be very happy if they do a combination of games that use it fully and games that use it subtly. To me, I think the biggest use I have for it outside of playing Kinect Sports and Adventures with my son is Skyrim. Right now, my son and I are playing Nat Geo Wild. We're having a great time with it too, and there is a mixture of things to do with the Kinect on the game.

People seem to "poo-poo" the whole voice command thing but I can not tell you how much time and confusion it saves me to use voice commands to get to things that takes 6-7 button presses to do.

And as Sinar says, look at what the first XB1 games are doing. Dead Rising 3 uses it to be able to distract zombies or call attention to yourself. Forza uses it for head tracking (which Forza 4 did too). Even DiCE says they want to incorporate Kinect usage in Battlefield 4 where it makes sense.

The difference is that now developers know every Xbox One has a Kinect, and they can do more to integrate it into their games, rather than hoping they could appeal to a piece of a tenth of the Xbox 360 base.

I hate the Kinect. I hope they just include it and don't force you to use it all the time. I just want to sit in my bed and play with my trusty controller.

I hate it aswell as A0 seriously no one really uses it, there just including it so they get tons more money 10 xboxs = £1000 more than if it was not included pretty much a money scam.

People seem to "poo-poo" the whole voice command thing but I can not tell you how much time and confusion it saves me to use voice commands to get to things that takes 6-7 button presses to do.

And as Sinar says, look at what the first XB1 games are doing. Dead Rising 3 uses it to be able to distract zombies or call attention to yourself. Forza uses it for head tracking (which Forza 4 did too). Even DiCE says they want to incorporate Kinect usage in Battlefield 4 where it makes sense.

The difference is that now developers know every Xbox One has a Kinect, and they can do more to integrate it into their games, rather than hoping they could appeal to a piece of a tenth of the Xbox 360 base.

I own a Kinect and I can honestly say your experience does not match my own. When I express doubts it isn't because I just hate to be hating - it's because it never proved it's self to me. As for like distracting zombies - you could do that with a mike as early as Manhunt. Does the Xbone not include a headset like the 360? Couldn't the same be done with the mike just like with Manhunt? What is the point of head tracking? How hard is it really to just hit a button a couple of times? Maybe MS should just introduce shortcuts? That said as in my original comment maybe developers will want to mess with it, but I somehow doubt that - particularly since it isn't required... just packaged and charged for.

I own a Kinect and I can honestly say your experience does not match my own. When I express doubts it isn't because I just hate to be hating - it's because it never proved it's self to me. As for like distracting zombies - you could do that with a mike as early as Manhunt. Does the Xbone not include a headset like the 360? Couldn't the same be done with the mike just like with Manhunt? What is the point of head tracking? How hard is it really to just hit a button a couple of times? Maybe MS should just introduce shortcuts? That said as in my original comment maybe developers will want to mess with it, but I somehow doubt that - particularly since it isn't required... just packaged and charged for.

Well look at it like this. Do you really think MSFT wouldnt include it if developers didnt want it? If your calling it a cash grab, then point the fingers to MSFT and the developers and publishers.

Making a version without Kinect included would doom it to failure just like the first one.

Making a version without Kinect included would doom it to failure just like the first one.

That also. They dont want to divide the developers. Even if no one uses it, they know every box has one and they can implement it knowing there is more of a chance it will be used then not

Back