Xbox One Xbox One Won't Allow Real Names Online at Launch

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Microsoft has announced that you won't be able to use your real name online when Xbox One launches, despite previously saying that this would be one of the new features available on Xbox Live when the console releases.

"While real identities continue to be part of our plans for the experience on Xbox One, at launch, customers will continue to search for friends using their Gamertags," a spokesperson explained. "Our teams are working hard to deliver a quality experience for Xbox One. This means prioritizing some features and sometimes postponing others for a later update."

Source: IGN

Well this is a bummer, especially considering that the PS4 will have the feature at launch. I really like the idea and have been clamoring for it to come to 360 for years and so was very excited when it was first announced. I guess better late than never.

I think this is a safety measure in case of hacking. I think there are pros and cons to not using your real name. It can protect you in case of a hacking, but it can also mean that many people can get away with trolling that way. I really hope they do something about curbing trolls in Live. It really gets annoying and ruins game play.

I prefer to not use my real name in most of my virtual endeavors; that is, if it can be avoided. In this case it would just make people easier to find for your friend list. So not much is really lost to me.

It would be nice if you can edit your friends list. By that I mean adding the persons first name in place of their GT. But I certqinly understand the safety issues.

I don't use my real game anyway. It's a pity that this console is not coming to my territory until 2014.

I don't see an issue with this as I don't think Real Names have a place online outside of financial issues. I mean the less opportunity for identity issues the better, although I wonder... what this says on the subject of security between Microsoft and Sony? Is Sony getting too big for themselves (particularly considering they've been hacked before) or have they improved that much? On the other hand is Microsoft being too timid or are they having some last minute worries?

Real name... Hmmmm scary I'd rather keep my altered ego 'slays' as I rather not be hacked!

I don't believe real names should be the standard, although I believe it should be an option. It would also be really nice if they could do some verification type process similar to what twitter uses. So say a celebrity is playing and wants to use their real name. Microsoft could "verify" their username and you'd know you were playing Call of Duty with someone famous.

I know its no big deal, but it would still be pretty cool.

That is not a big deal, but it is something that should be made possible in the future. I mean how easy would it be if you could find your friends, by searching their real names. When searching using usernames it is sometimes difficult because people may misspell them. Then there are times when searching names become tiresome because of the letters or numbers used in conjunction, in your username.

I prefer to not use my real name even if I had to I would use someone else.

I wouldn't want to use my real name anyways. Or be searchable by my real name. Is this XBL or Facebook?!

Lol Microsoft is trying to have their own social media. Don't think that would work though.

Back