Xbox One Xbox Wire: How "Forza Motorsport 5" is Defining New Generation Racing

Thanks for posting the article. Good read.
Seems like Turn 10 is pulling out all the stops for the next gen Forza. What interests me about the article is how they are working with Calspan to make the game more realistic. I'm quite anxious to see how's the role of your tires will work and effect a car's handling. And there should be a lot customization options than Gran Turismo too.

I have no doubt in my mind that Forza will once again set the standard for what a racing game should be. I really enjoy Forza games, and I'm not generally a fan of the genre.

That's awesome. Calspan is about a mile from my house too. :) I think that fact should get me an early release copy, right?

Forza is going on my day 1 buy list for sure.

I am actually stunned by how much I love Forza. My friends wanted me to get 3 and I was like, I'm not big on racing games, but I tried the demo and it was so engaging. I still waited until 4, but they will forever have me as a fan. I'm currently trying to grind out the rest of 4 and Horizon. I just wish I were a good driver. I'd like to race online.

Hey, i like Forza just like the next guy, but i really hate it when people say "It's going to define this, revolutionize that" when it comes to whatever, it's always a bad sign.

I am actually stunned by how much I love Forza. My friends wanted me to get 3 and I was like, I'm not big on racing games, but I tried the demo and it was so engaging. I still waited until 4, but they will forever have me as a fan. I'm currently trying to grind out the rest of 4 and Horizon. I just wish I were a good driver. I'd like to race online.

The only way to get better is to compete with better drivers. It's hard but you can actually learn a lot by racing those hardcore guys online. They brake a lot later, give it gas earlier out of a corner and use passing techniques I've never seen before.

Rivals mode is a great way to get faster. You can race against someone's "ghost" and see specifically where you are losing speed.

The funny thing is that sometimes people overdrive the car into the corners. Sometimes, slowing down into the corners is actually the way to be faster overall. I beat a lot of rival ghosts by braking earlier in the turns and actually exiting the corner faster. The obvious example is where you have a very tight turn followed by a long straightaway. The key to that part of the track is to get on the gas as soon as possible so you can have more speed for passing on the straight. Driving into the corner hard will just prevent you from getting on the gas earlier. I'll brake earlier, but be able to hit the gas sooner on the way out. My opponent will beat me into the corner, but on the next straight, I'll be carrying more speed out of the corner and will be faster overall.

Thinking about the track and understanding where the most important parts of the track are will go a long way to making you faster. Try braking earlier and getting through the corner smoother, and you'll often find yourself faster on the way out.

Another aspect of the game is setting up the car, and unfortunately there's not a lot you can do if someone else's car is set up better. A lot of players online are just better at setting up a car and are able to drive faster because of it. That's where getting into rival events where the cars are required to be stock can help. On those events, everyone has the exact same car and setup, so it is just down to driving skill. You can learn a lot there. The Top Gear challenge is great for that.

Another tip is to use manual clutch. It will make you a lot faster, especially for the lower level cars.

I feel like Forza always revolutionizes the racing game industry. Theyre strictly racing games and pretty much own the market. Considering they get a good income they always try to make the newer games bigger badder and better. I remember playing Forza 3 and even liking that so i cant even imagine what the new one is like!

How is Horizon? I have been considering it but never pulled the trigger.

It's not bad, but it is different. I can't say that I love it as much as Forza 4. I think it may be a little easier to learn the tracks because it's a little more repetitive than 4. In my opinion. I think Horizon 2 will end up being better.

The only way to get better is to compete with better drivers. It's hard but you can actually learn a lot by racing those hardcore guys online. They brake a lot later, give it gas earlier out of a corner and use passing techniques I've never seen before.

Rivals mode is a great way to get faster. You can race against someone's "ghost" and see specifically where you are losing speed.

The funny thing is that sometimes people overdrive the car into the corners. Sometimes, slowing down into the corners is actually the way to be faster overall. I beat a lot of rival ghosts by braking earlier in the turns and actually exiting the corner faster. The obvious example is where you have a very tight turn followed by a long straightaway. The key to that part of the track is to get on the gas as soon as possible so you can have more speed for passing on the straight. Driving into the corner hard will just prevent you from getting on the gas earlier. I'll brake earlier, but be able to hit the gas sooner on the way out. My opponent will beat me into the corner, but on the next straight, I'll be carrying more speed out of the corner and will be faster overall.

Thinking about the track and understanding where the most important parts of the track are will go a long way to making you faster. Try braking earlier and getting through the corner smoother, and you'll often find yourself faster on the way out.

Another aspect of the game is setting up the car, and unfortunately there's not a lot you can do if someone else's car is set up better. A lot of players online are just better at setting up a car and are able to drive faster because of it. That's where getting into rival events where the cars are required to be stock can help. On those events, everyone has the exact same car and setup, so it is just down to driving skill. You can learn a lot there. The Top Gear challenge is great for that.

Another tip is to use manual clutch. It will make you a lot faster, especially for the lower level cars.

Yeah, I know it would be better to play against better players, but the AI hates me, I don't have time to hear all that cursing and shouting at me. :D Trust me when I say, I'm doing them a favor!

And I think this is what the whole "Drivatar" thing is aiming for. So that even when you are not racing on Xbox Live, you will have real live racer AI in your single player races which better simulate and even help you get better.

Back