Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Not worth playing

• Total voters

kevin

Contributor
Below you can find the reviews for XCOM: Enemy Unknown. If you have any questions that the reviews didn't answer, start a new thread on the forum. Played the game already? Rate it above and tell us why you did or didn’t like it. Better yet, write your own user review!

8.5 out of 10 - Game Spot
Read the full review here: Direct Link
Tension runs high in the excellent XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

9.5 out of 10 - Game Informer
Both of XCOM’s layers present life-or-death conundrums to which there is no right answer. No matter what you pick, something or someone is going to suffer for it. This kind of tension and terror rarely occurs within mainstream gaming, and almost never with this level of skill in the execution. Don’t let the “turn-based strategy” moniker scare you off; XCOM is a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience.

8.2 out 10 - IGN
XCOM is a great addition to the strategy genre, complete with an engaging campaign full of tension and challenges. The characters grow in satisfying ways, but the tactical game doesn't ever quite give players enough room to make the most of their abilities.

8 out of 10 - Official Xbox Magazine
On the whole, XCOM will keep fans spellbound with its depth, but it could’ve used a little more time in the cooker to add that something extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and am a huge fan of the series as a whole. The randomness can be quite annoying at times and I believe the best way to play is to keep a few saves and having no fear to use them! Some could call that cheating or cheesy, but who wants to invest so much time into a game only to have their best units blown away due to a bunch of bad dice rolls? I really enjoyed how urgent the game felt, and how your choices of where to go and who to assist really mattered. I didn't expect the game to have as high replay value as it does, and I expect to play it again before too long.

Despite the difficulty I gave XCOM:EU a 5/5 star rating above, because sometimes losing is fun.

Another player who really enjoyed XCOM here. It's a game where you have to have some suspension of disbelief and imagination as it is missing a lot of polish. Sometimes sound effects happen seconds after the action is shown on screen and just general audio/video glitches that really keep the game from shining. Despite this don't let the lack of polish keep you from trying it. The gameplay is challenging, deep and rewarding. Much more so than most games you see recommended today. If you can see past the, for lack of a better term, ugly appearance there's a great experience waiting for you.

4/5 Stars for me

PS: If you're considering getting it I recommend checking out XCOM: Enemy Within, a recent update that builds upon the previous game. It's like a game of the year edition. I haven't had first hand experience but it apparently fixes many presentation problems of the original.

Back