Xbox 360 Buying use vs. buying new

jwk22204

From
Northern Virginia
I want to play games like Medal of Honor (Black Ops). I don't want to overinvest in an expensive system right now. Is it better to buy new or is there a safe place to buy used ones? What's a fair price for a basic system?

I think that buying a pre-owned system is a much better choice if you harbor any doubts about purchasing the system at full retail price.

You should check ebay and amazon to get a prince range, but you risk giving your money away since there's no guarantee the console will work for a long time. If you buy retail, sure, you spend more money but you can rest assured because the console with come with warranty. So, for at least 2 years or more you can chill and play.

The best part about buying used at GameStop at least is if you beat the game after 7 days, or you decide you don't like it, you can take it back for a full refund with no questions asked. You can't beat that kind of deal anywhere.

Wow, that is the best deal in town, some stores only offer exchange and the item must be defective to exchange it. I will definitely visit the GameStop this weekend, thanks for the tip.

Will have to agree on shopping for used games at Gamestop. You can gather up some great days on games that you've been looking at for some time, for a nice price. I do think you can get refurb systems as well from Gamestop, and they carry a limited warrenty as well.

In the early years of the 360, it was astronomically better to buy a new console plus a warranty because of the faulty hardware. As revisions have taken place, there's not much wrong with buying used, but I'd still be a little wary.

Seeing as XBOX 720 will be coming out pretty soon I say why not buy a used XBOX. If it's at a reasonable price then go for it. The only setback to buying used is no warranty but I've bought used consoles before and always had good luck with mine.

If your talking about used consoles, I think you shouldn't buy them in your local craiglist. Better go to gamestop or your trusted store because I've known a some people that bought their Xbox in craiglist and it didn't last more than a week.
But if your talking about used games, I think it's pretty safe to buy anywhere as long as you check the disc before buying. Online (ebay) isn't that bad either as long as the seller has at least 95+ rating.

If your talking about used consoles, I think you shouldn't buy them in your local craiglist. Better go to gamestop or your trusted store because I've known a some people that bought their Xbox in craiglist and it didn't last more than a week.
Yeaaaaaaah... never buy used consoles from random people. At least stores that carry them have probably tested them and made sure that they work properly and stuff. Don't wanna end up buying a fancy brick, you know?

Exactly. Happened to me last year so I know how it feels. It's annoying as hell. I tried to contract the seller but he wasn't answering my calls so I basically waste my $50 to buy a 25+ year old NES that doesn't work.
And at least stores have a warranty options even in used section so it's way safer that way.

I don't think that buying from a store is that much safer than buying from someone random, to be honest.

Yes, it will be guaranteed to work immediately, but you're still on your own after that. If someone played it for 1000 hours before selling it to the store or repaired it themselves to get it working enough to resell, then you're still potentially screwed within a short amount of time anyway. There are no guarantees.

Thinking that buying from a store is a safer option in that the store would have a limited warrenty for the system you just bought for a few months or so. If you bought it off some guy in a parking lot, you really have no recourse in getting something worked out. At least with stores you can bring up your concerns and possibly get a solution if your console bites it.

I don't think that buying from a store is that much safer than buying from someone random, to be honest.

Yes, it will be guaranteed to work immediately, but you're still on your own after that. If someone played it for 1000 hours before selling it to the store or repaired it themselves to get it working enough to resell, then you're still potentially screwed within a short amount of time anyway. There are no guarantees.

Well yeah, but my thought are Gamestop/Ebgames(Canada) offers warranty for their consoles. (not sure though) At least you'll feel safe because there's a guaranteed 30 days just in case you got problems with the system.
But in the random market like craiglist you never know if they just gave the system a quick-fix then sell it for cheap. Then if the console messed up, you can't guarantee the seller will still reply to your text or calls.

EDIT: Double Post
How to delete post? I can't find it anywhere even in the advance edit.

Look for a shop that sells them second hand and still offers a warranty? Here in the UK, Game offer warranties on used purchases.

Same here in Canada but the problem is you gotta pay for the warranty. It will cost you a little percentage of the total price but I'm guessing it won't be over 10% of the total price. But I like the fact that it will be a product replacement not a repair for a whole year so that was a pretty good deal in my opinion just in case your thing got a problem.

Hey, thanks for the GameStop tip. I'm going to check it out and see if I can get myself some good games and get a refund. I'm not going to over abuse this though.

Back