Xbox One Day One update for Xbox One.

spleendingo

From
Michigan
There will be an automatic day one update right out of the box for the Xbox One Microsoft says. They stated it wouldn't be too big and should take average users 15-20 minutes. Now, we all know that's corporate talk for around 45-60 minutes. Man, they really want to make you suffer before you can play lol.

First, you have to set it up. Then you have to wait for the update. Then you have to set all your Kinect stuff. Then, hopefully and with fingers and toes crossed, we can pop in a game and finally play something!

I'm sure the PS4 will be the same way though. I don't know about you, but after it's all set up that update's going to seem to take forever!

This was announced a long while back already. I think it was mentioned in a few threads here as well.

The problem will be the system getting slammed on launch day. Downloads can take forever when something is popular. Hopefully it gets spread out enough during the day.

Lets see how my 50 Down and 5 Up will do!!!! heheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
the-grinch-grin.gif

And this is how my plan to make this a family Hanukkah gift will even help avoid any issues from launch day. Kid opens up Xbox One Wednesday night the 27th, we hook it up and let it run the day one update, then before I go to bed I queue up a couple games to download and let it go overnight. Wake up Thanksgiving day, console is ready to go. Let Jacob play Zoo Tycoon in the afternoon after dinner while my wife and I go to the Raven's game, then queue up more games to download overnight. Have Friday - Sunday to play around with it.

It's the perfect plan. :)

The problem will be the system getting slammed on launch day. Downloads can take forever when something is popular. Hopefully it gets spread out enough during the day.

Actually that's not so true.

If you think about it, launch day will be maybe 1.5 to 2 million consoles that are actually being plugged in. I know they've reported over 750,000 pre-orders so far. Now, even 2 million on Day 1 is still a far cry from the daily amount of Xbox Live users and FAR less than what a Day 1 game like COD would stress the servers.

EDIT: Actually today's GTA V Online patch is a good example. It has sold over 15 million copies so far. Let's say 7.5 million of those are on Xbox 360 and let's say 3.75 million of those will log into the game today to play GTA V Online. There is a Day 1 patch for GTA V online, so that could be 3.75 million people logging in today just to patch GTA V. That's still more than Day 1 Launch of Xbox One, based on my predictions, and the Xbox Live servers have been handling today's GTA V patch just fine. And remember, right now we are working with existing/old Xbox Live servers which are far FAR fewer than the 300,000 for Xbox One.

I worked at Xbox Live for 2 years, I can't tell you exact numbers, but 1 to 2 million people connecting/downloading a patch all on the same day is nothing. :)

Also, MS announced it'd be about 20 minutes for the average user. I know they also announced the Xbox One is being designed around a 1.5Mbps bandwidth/connection, worst case the U.S. average bandwidth is 2.7Mbps. Putting that info together makes it seem like not that big of a day 1 update.

Man I hate updates so much, every month there's a new update for Microsoft. Now they are saying that there will be an update straight out the box. I don't see why they just can't have the update incorporated into the system already.

Man I hate updates so much, every month there's a new update for Microsoft. Now they are saying that there will be an update straight out the box. I don't see why they just can't have the update incorporated into the system already.

They said there would be an update since the day they did the 180, I don't get why everyone is so shocked. The update is to reverse the online DRM as well as a few other things. Not to mention the systems are shipping with the beta version of the dashboard so that needs to be updated.

And this is how my plan to make this a family Hanukkah gift will even help avoid any issues from launch day. Kid opens up Xbox One Wednesday night the 27th, we hook it up and let it run the day one update, then before I go to bed I queue up a couple games to download and let it go overnight. Wake up Thanksgiving day, console is ready to go. Let Jacob play Zoo Tycoon in the afternoon after dinner while my wife and I go to the Raven's game, then queue up more games to download overnight. Have Friday - Sunday to play around with it.

It's the perfect plan. :)

Man, you people with "plans". lol.

The only thing I plan everyday is not dying. Everything else is chaotic at best. I just can't download something and walk away hoping nothing goes south. I'm way too OCD for that. I realize there's nothing I can do should something happen, but it makes me feel better to stare at the slow moving downloading icon screaming "THAT'S how fast you move? That's why everyone hates you. Go faster!"

Sounds like you go it figured out though dude! :cool:

So, we are looking at about an hour's length for the update is what I am guessing. Just think about the millions of people getting their xbox ones on the same day as us and trying to get the update at the same time that we are. That is going to make it go incredibly slow, turning the alleged 15-20 minute into an hour plus wait. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now is there?

Why do we have to update our systems as soon as we get it? I am going to be so excited, I just want to play it. I think setup time overall is going to be around 2 hours till you can actually play. Not too bad though.

I think my day would go like this. Open box, 1 hour on connecting everything, oh darn internet is down, waiting on ISP, finally power on console, console gives me random power on error, oh duh I didn't connect this cable, after 5 hours doing upgrade, after 50 minutes of downloading get server error, try again, after 20 minutes get server error, wife yelling she wants to watch TV, smoking on the porch, 3rd attempt to download upgrade power went off, last attempt to upgrade yay it's finally done, oh someone hacked my account, 3 hours later after support able to play, well what do you know, it's a bed time.

At some point you have to set a cut off point for development on the software that's running on the hardware, but you can't stop bug testing so I don't think a day one patch is bad for this sort of thing in my humble opinion. Its kind of what I would expect, I want them to have their stuff as pristine as possible, but they aren't going to be able to do it without continued QA. The worst thing they could do is just let some bug that could hurt an expensive console go unchecked and under developed.

you cna plug in setup and update they said you dont need kinect. i plan on running mine without it for a day or 2.

It's so weird. I wonder if they are still setting up the servers or something. I will always wonder to this day, WHY DON'T THEY JUST HAVE THE UPDATE BUILT INTO THE SYSTEM. I've suffered enough updates and now for the new console WE HAVE TO SUFFER ANOTHER ONE!!!

It's so weird. I wonder if they are still setting up the servers or something. I will always wonder to this day, WHY DON'T THEY JUST HAVE THE UPDATE BUILT INTO THE SYSTEM. I've suffered enough updates and now for the new console WE HAVE TO SUFFER ANOTHER ONE!!!

The update is to remove the always online feature since people forced microsoft into a 180 on the policy. The consoles were already in production and since it is only a software issue, the update will correct it.

Eh. I would probably just plug it in right after I buy and it and maybe just go out and do something. Just because I hate waiting it to load and would rather keep my mind off it. It isn't really a big issue because of the fact that when I buy computers, I usually put on a different OS so it would have similar feelings like that.

I'm beginning to see that there is nothing that Microsoft will be able to do with the One that will be considered satisfactory. I don't know how or why anyone would think this piece of hardware wouldn't have extensive updates. It's built to always be on the edge of technology and to do it through the software, not new hardware every year.

It doesn't bother me. I have come to expect updates. I just look at it as the company is making changes in the background to give me the best possible user experience. If that means a Day One update, then so be it!

Back