Xbox One Future genres

Probably you might want to buy when Watchdogs gets released.

Nah, not buying the XB1. I'm already planning to buy on PC. Before you jump for conclusions, I didn't choose the PC version because for graphics. I chose it... 'cuz I can afford to buy the game. Buying a console... a new one? Not in my book right now.

Yup, I agree. Shooters are nice but too many of them... UGH. Too much can drag sometimes. RPGs man... Xbox needs them. If Sony and Nintendo can get more of them, why can't MSFT right? Another future genre they should get: visual novels. Yup, those. I want those kind.

Visual Novels like PS4 has Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?
That would be a really great catch for MSFT but I think Sony has an exclusivity deal with those guys, I don't think any other studio does that sort of game, although MSFT could definitely start one up...

More RPGs is definitely my choice for future games. There should also be some cool games maybe in a new genre that hasn't been seen yet so that it makes it more interesting for gamers.

To be fair I'm pretty sure sony and nintendo get more japanese developers since they're japanese companies...I agree though that xbox could use some more niche genres but as the kinect grows hopefully there will be exclusively xbox genres

This. Nintendo and Sony have Japan on lock and the companies that pump out RPGs on a regular basis want their stuff to actually sell to warrant putting more out. While the consoles are actually there worldwide to get RPGs on, the fanbase for traditional RPGs have never really been there for Xbox nor has their Japan presence. Xbox has always done well with Western RPGs, but those don't get out on a regular basis and there's only one console in Microsoft's roster to put them out on.

There's no western equivalent to Atlus, NIS, 90s Square and Enix (separately, dammit), and so on.

This. Nintendo and Sony have Japan on lock and the companies that pump out RPGs on a regular basis want their stuff to actually sell to warrant putting more out. While the consoles are actually there worldwide to get RPGs on, the fanbase for traditional RPGs have never really been there for Xbox nor has their Japan presence. Xbox has always done well with Western RPGs, but those don't get out on a regular basis and there's only one console in Microsoft's roster to put them out on.

There's no western equivalent to Atlus, NIS, 90s Square and Enix (separately, dammit), and so on.

YUP. That's about right. And MSFT just said that they have Japanese companies signed for the the XB1 come the Japanese launch on Sept. 4. But question is: will that get them the foothold on Japan? We'll see. But yeah, Sony and Nintendo have had a lock on with the Japanese companies for years so it's gonna be a tough one for MSFT to try and penetrate the market there.

Visual Novels like PS4 has Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?
That would be a really great catch for MSFT but I think Sony has an exclusivity deal with those guys, I don't think any other studio does that sort of game, although MSFT could definitely start one up...

Yeah like those, and the ones a lot of Japanese companies make, like Steins;Gate. But yeah, there aren't that many companies willing to do games like that for MSFT. But yes, maybe MSFT can do that.

Nah, not buying the XB1. I'm already planning to buy on PC. Before you jump for conclusions, I didn't choose the PC version because for graphics. I chose it... 'cuz I can afford to buy the game. Buying a console... a new one? Not in my book right now.

Same here. It's difficult to even get enough cash to buy a new console but a game? I'm good with that.

THIS. Yes, it's hard to accept but that's how it is. Sony and Nintendo have locked on a lot of genres, so it's gonna be a tough road for MSFT. Better hope they can do something.

THIS. Yes, it's hard to accept but that's how it is. Sony and Nintendo have locked on a lot of genres, so it's gonna be a tough road for MSFT. Better hope they can do something.

They have to come up with something really unique to gather an audience.

YUP. That's about right. And MSFT just said that they have Japanese companies signed for the the XB1 come the Japanese launch on Sept. 4. But question is: will that get them the foothold on Japan? We'll see. But yeah, Sony and Nintendo have had a lock on with the Japanese companies for years so it's gonna be a tough one for MSFT to try and penetrate the market there.

They probably will but I doubt that it would be easy.

They have to come up with something really unique to gather an audience.

They gotta. I mean, back then, they had some exclusives for the original Xbox that I actually wanted to play (like Jet Set Radio Future... damn, I want to play that sequel) but with the 360, while it did have some exclusives like Saints Row 1 and Dead Rising 1, it suddenly became the common type. So if they want me to buy an XB1, they gotta have some exclusives that will have go buy the XB1. But as of now, there's none yet. The PS4, though, has some good exclusives that'll make me want to get one.

They probably will but I doubt that it would be easy.

I guess it really all starts on where the companies began. Sony and Nintendo will always have their roots and origins in Japan, so it's already a steady preference. MSFT? America, the west. As much as we'd all like to hope for some awesome Japanese games for the Xbox consoles, it's tough for MSFT to even penetrate 'cuz you know, their practices for gaming is WAY different with Sony and Nintendo. MSFT's gonna have to really do something with the practices they have as a norm if they want to really get through the Japanese market.

I guess it really all starts on where the companies began. Sony and Nintendo will always have their roots and origins in Japan, so it's already a steady preference. MSFT? America, the west. As much as we'd all like to hope for some awesome Japanese games for the Xbox consoles, it's tough for MSFT to even penetrate 'cuz you know, their practices for gaming is WAY different with Sony and Nintendo. MSFT's gonna have to really do something with the practices they have as a norm if they want to really get through the Japanese market.

Yes, that's actually what they need to do. if they only start seeing the big picture.

I believe Microsoft knows what they need to do, but probably feel that by the 3rd console in it's a bit late or the risk would be a little too great. They should've made a better effort out the gate with the first Xbox like Sega did early on. Sure Sega went out of business, but it was an American company (at the time) that managed to win over a good amount of the US and Japan regions (more so in the US, but still).

I think to get these unique (for the Xbox) genres, Microsoft would need to scoop up studios that specialize in those genres and put them to work. Just tell them what they need and let them get to work.

Yeah, probably more RPG's. I also would love to see new horror games, like real horror games. Shooters I've had enough of, I mean, they're all over the place nowadays. But not much for a genre, but I think I would love to see more good games like the Last of Us and the likes.

I think you guys are onto something with the light novel games. I've seen a ton of otome games marketed for mobile in the past two years. I don't see why that couldn't swap over to console gaming as well. Fate/Extra did fairly well on PSP, and it has a similar light novel feel. I kind of got that feeling from the Walking Dead as well. There's definitely a market for it that Sony could delve into.

Yeah, probably more RPG's. I also would love to see new horror games, like real horror games. Shooters I've had enough of, I mean, they're all over the place nowadays. But not much for a genre, but I think I would love to see more good games like the Last of Us and the likes.

Do you think horror games would have a big market appeal or just be something for a smaller crowd?
Not sure if they would do it if there wasn't a huge interest...

Do you think horror games would have a big market appeal or just be something for a smaller crowd?
Not sure if they would do it if there wasn't a huge interest...

I would be interested. I feel like it's a niche market that would do well if they came out with more. Who knows though

I agree MORE RPG's and more games that are not afraid of change, wouldn't mind social games like Destiny either. Cant Wait for E3!

Back