Gears of War Rights acquired by Microsoft

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Microsoft has bought the rights to the Gears of War franchise from Epic Games, and handed development duties to Black Tusk Studios. The move means the series will remain an Xbox-exclusive. As part of the deal Rod Ferguson, former director of production of the series at Epic, will join Microsoft and help the team at Black Tusk out.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer commented on the decision to hand Black Tusk the reigns to the series, saying, "Black Tusk has assembled a world-class team with deep experience and passion for the shooter space, and specifically the Gears of War franchise."

Black Tusk Studios opened its doors in late 2012, when Microsoft Vancouver underwent a rebrand. While we don't know what it's been working on since, at the time it was tasked with creating "the next Halo".

Source: IGN

Some more good news for Microsoft today. Now the question is whether this will become Black Tusk first project or have they really been working on a break through IP since they studio was created? Either way MSFt is taking the right steps ensuring more exclusives. I can't wait till E3 where MSFT promised to unveil many more exclusives.

I'm not too familiar with Black Tusk studio, but i'm glad MSFT was able to acquire the rights!

I love the GoW series and with a new developer at the helm might just give the franchise a breath of new air and a new gears game is always a purchase for me. :)

I'm not too familiar with Black Tusk studio, but i'm glad MSFT was able to acquire the rights!

I love the GoW series and with a new developer at the helm might just give the franchise a breath of new air and a new gears game is always a purchase for me. :)

Well you shouldn't be too familiar because they haven't made any games yet LOL the most we have seen from them was some teaser video during the last E3.

This could be good or it could....I don't know. I hope that they DO refresh the series, as it's definitely become a little redundant. I hope they don't totally screw it up either. It will be interesting to see what they end up putting out and how it compares to the original!

Microsoft securing the rights is a good thing but giving the helm to an unknown studio seems a bit risky. Gears of War is a renown franchise so I'm skeptic if this studio can deliver the expectations. Making it too familiar, people will say they are not original, make it too different and people will say it's not Gears. This is one hard shoe to fit in.

Microsoft securing the rights is a good thing but giving the helm to an unknown studio seems a bit risky. Gears of War is a renown franchise so I'm skeptic if this studio can deliver the expectations. Making it too familiar, people will say they are not original, make it too different and people will say it's not Gears. This is one hard shoe to fit in.

Well an unknown studio that has Rod Ferguson as it's studio manager lol it definitely softens the risk. The man was the producer on the original GOW trilogy and the VP of development on Bioshock Infinite.

Microsoft is definitely going to milk franchise for all it's worth. I'm not entirely distrustful of Microsoft's ability to make good games, but I am distrustful of their ability to make innovative, original games. Let's hope they go the creative route instead of just pumping out a new game and throwing marketing at it.

Hopefully the next GoW game they make will be better then Judgement, Judgement was a major disappointment for me.

Well, well, Gears of Wars finds their home in MSFT. And this time, they're now owned by them. Sweet. Let's see what Microsoft will do this new acquirement.

Let's see what kind of entry will come out from this one. Will it be a prequel? Sequel? Reboot? A Mass Effect 4-like entry, where it will still take place in the same universe but will have a new story? Only time will tell for this one.

I really hope they can do a nice sequel to it. I would love to see a Mass Effect 4 like entry just like what marthyrocks said but I hope they still keep the same storyline. This is great news from microsoft. I just wish they don't mess things up.

I wonder if theyd be willing to bring it to the PC, now that microsoft has the rights.

I wonder if theyd be willing to bring it to the PC, now that microsoft has the rights.

I guess the possibility is really high. They'll definitely create a pc version for this, it might show up later this year or next year. I hope that they can make one as soon as possible.

Microsoft need this, Sony are really pushing with their exclusive studios. Gears is one of my favourite franchises and I don't want to see it get tossed aside. Having said that, Now Microsoft having bought the rights to this game, I hope they do something with it instead of saving it for a rainy day.

Microsoft need this, Sony are really pushing with their exclusive studios. Gears is one of my favourite franchises and I don't want to see it get tossed aside. Having said that, Now Microsoft having bought the rights to this game, I hope they do something with it instead of saving it for a rainy day.

I guess they plan on improving the game. I just hope they don't screw up on this.

That is a possibility. They said they're going to show better support for the PC side so for them to bring the GoW to the PC? Possible. Wouldn't be surprised if they port the whole GoW series to the PC.

So I guess the Gears franchise is either dead or becoming a dumb cashcow now.
Well that's because Judgement was developed by PEOPLE CAN FLY
It truly is sad that PCF had to waste their time like that instead of making Bulletstorm 2...

Back