How long do you think Xbox Live on the 360 will be worth it?

Joker99352

From
Washington
My subscription expires in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to renew at some point but I don't really have any games to play right now. I don't like having to buy new Call of Duty games because people are abandoning the older titles way too quickly, but that's kind of how it is right now. I also don't want to try and play older games that have lost their appeal in general. But my main concern is that a lot of people will abandon Xbox 360 games as a whole for Xbox One titles, especially those that are released for both consoles (like Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4).

So how long do you think the numbers will be strong for games on Xbox 360 XBL? In other words, if I do renew my subscription, how long should I renew it for? Or, should I just save up for an Xbox One and get XBL on that?

Your Xbox live account transfer to Xbox one..

Q: Will my current Xbox Live Gold membership work with Xbox One or will I have to buy a new one?
A: You do not need to buy a new Xbox Live Gold membership. Your current membership will work on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

I feel like 2018 and nobody will enjoy the 360, only for nostalgia.

The 360 will likely see lots of further support, similar to how the PS2 just stopped releasing games as late as September of this year. People won't be abandoning Live on 360.

Now, if you don't have any games that you're playing, it would probably be wise to just wait.

The numbers will drop, but not drastically. It's going to take longer than you'd expect for the Xbox One and PS4 to fully become the "main" consoles.

Look at it this way, right now Xbox One is too expensive for most people to buy, and there are still plenty of games coming up for the 360. Christmas is just around the corner, but most parents aren't going to want to spend $500 or Euros/Pounds on a new console for their child. Instead they'll probably buy them a bunch of new games and wait until next year once the prices have dropped to buy them it.

Your Xbox Live subscription will work on both 360 and One, so you don't have to worry about that. I'd say go for it if you've got enough games you're interested in playing online, but there is definitely no need to worry about the number of 360 users dropping drastically yet.

We can look at older consoles and games to get an idea for the future usage of the XBOX360. Halo 3 is one of my favorite examples. Even with Reach, the new Call of Duties, Battlefields and so on you still see a dedicated userbase on the multiplayer portion of the game. When the XB1 drops and people get into the swing of things I bet that the whole of XBOX360s live program will appear similar. We'll have all of those people that are committed to their older system or waiting for price drops out of the newer system. So as long as there is support for the XBL I believe the 360 will be playable online for quite awhile.

I feel like there will always be games that people will play on Xbox live. I mainly play Call of Duty 4 online and there are still people on it. Granted a lot of the time the match as been hacked and players are floating high above the map, picking you off with a sniper. However, I have found games where that isn't happening and I've had a blast. I really like Call of Duty 4 and it's nice to see that some people still like it as well.

So I think there will always be games that people will play online. Ultimitaly what it comes down to is that if it's worth it for you. I have fun with it so I continue to pay for it. If it ever gets un-fun then I will concel it. I'd do a 3 month trail offer if you aren't sure what you want to do.

I feel like there will always be games that people will play on Xbox live. I mainly play Call of Duty 4 online and there are still people on it. Granted a lot of the time the match as been hacked and players are floating high above the map, picking you off with a sniper. However, I have found games where that isn't happening and I've had a blast. I really like Call of Duty 4 and it's nice to see that some people still like it as well.

So I think there will always be games that people will play online. Ultimitaly what it comes down to is that if it's worth it for you. I have fun with it so I continue to pay for it. If it ever gets un-fun then I will concel it. I'd do a 3 month trail offer if you aren't sure what you want to do.

The best CoD game is 4. Best maps as well.

It'll still have another year at least I'd say, so even if it didn't carry forward to Xbox One, it's worth renewing. You've got to remember that not everybody adopts the new console straight away. There will be an initial surge of buyers on day one (1 million PS4s in the US on day one, and even the Wii U did well during its first month), but it will slow down considerably after that.

In terms of being able to find matches online on the 360, I don't think you'll have any concerns for a long time either. Not everybody will upgrade straight away as I said, but the 360 will continue to receive new games, even if they're mainly multiplats also coming to X1. People will still buy them for the first couple of years or so, since a lot of people would rather wait for a larger library of games before buying a console.

I'll still be playing my 360 on xbox live. I feel like others who want to wait or who maybe cant afford an XBox one will also be playing on xbox live with the 360

Yes, I know Xbox Live works on both consoles. But that wasn't the question; I'm just asking how long there will be a lot of people playing on Xbox 360 servers. I wish they could just merge them, but I guess that's not really possible or not worth it or whatever. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a subscription and then not be able to use it because no one is playing. That would be money that could have gone toward an Xbox One, too, if that did happen.

I'm not sure. My live ran out the other month and I haven't really thought to renew it. I think that the Xbox one will finish off whatever live had going for it. Here's to the better days when call of duty 4 was cutting edge. : D

I'll give it until 2015 for alot of people to still be on Xbox 360 Live and maybe 2016 when servers are closed.

I think as long as new games keep being released on the Xbox 360, there will be a need for the Xbox Live. Until that changes I think the Xbox live will continue to be a great addition to the Xbox 360 system.

I'll give it until 2015 for alot of people to still be on Xbox 360 Live and maybe 2016 when servers are closed.

That's a pretty concrete time window for Live. As Mareebaybay said, as long as there are games there will be Live. That said, we're talking maybe 3 years at most where games will continue to be released on a regular enough basis to warrant Live on 360 before titles start to peter off and stuff is closed down.

I don't really have any games to play online right now so it isn't that big of a deal. I prefer not to pay full price for Xbox Live if I can help it, either. I did like getting free games, although they were very hit and miss for me. Still, anything to make paying that money more worthwhile is fine with me.

That's a pretty concrete time window for Live. As Mareebaybay said, as long as there are games there will be Live. That said, we're talking maybe 3 years at most where games will continue to be released on a regular enough basis to warrant Live on 360 before titles start to peter off and stuff is closed down.

That's pretty much what I said :p

I wоuld sаy it's wоrth it. I wоuld piсk up sоmе саsuаl gаmеs likе GTА оr fifа. My fаvоritе gаmе tо plаy with friеnds is.skаtе 3, it's еаsy tо spеnd hоurs just frее riding. Sо yеа, I wоuld buy аn xbоx. Аs fоr gоld, I wоuld gеt thаt аlsо. Bесаusе fоr thе whоlе yеаr оf hаving gоld yоu gеt sоmеthing likе 24 frее gаmеs.

I think in the coming years we're going to see the Xbox 360 slowly start to wind down, as most of the software houses will now be concentrating on the Xbox ONE, but I still think there's some life left in the system for now.

I appreciate the huge library the 360 has already as well as all the indie games, which seem almost endless. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine.

Back