Original Xbox I never owned an Xbox - did I miss out on much?

jardantuan

I know I missed Halo 1 and 2 (and from what I've heard, Halo 2 was incredible) but other than that, I don't really know what other games were available for the original Xbox.

Also, semi-related question, since I never really gave it any thought - does the 360 have backwards compatibility, or would I have to find an original Xbox too?

The 360 is backwards compatible. At least the early models were. I assume this is the case with the newer models as well. I believe there are a few XBOX games that will not play on the 360 though.

The original Xbox was one of my all time favorite consoles. I modded it and had every single game you could ever imagine or remember from your childhood.

The original Xbox was one of my all time favorite consoles. I modded it and had every single game you could ever imagine or remember from your childhood.

I also modded mine, had a 320gb harddrive in it and ripped all mygames so id never have to worry about scratched discs.

OP, the xbox was backwards compatible using an emulator. Since emulation is so hardware intensive, not all games were compatible.

You missed Halo 1 and 2, Forza Motorsport 1, which launched the massively popular Forza series, the first real competitor to the Gran Turismo series. There was also Scarface, Fable which although it didnt live up to some of its promises, was still an amazing first party rpg. There were many more games that had their start during the generation of the original xbox, but i either dont remember them or they werent exclusive.

I'd say you missed out. I feel that if anything else the original Xbox is the most solid console. Like everyone else I played Halo religiously and it is still going strong. The same can't be said about my Xbox 360, it red ringed within a year of me having it.

Yes you can play regular xbox games on 360's that have hard drives. But not playing the original xbox and playing that online was great so i guess you did miss out on a bit. :/

Yeah, you missed out.
It had great games (Halo 1 & 2, Fable, etc.) and even though the controller was a bit big, it still was way more comfortable that the Dualshock 2.

Not really. Yeah those 2 Halo games were brilliant but they showed up for PC soon enough, so its not like you couldn't play them. The original XBox was a solid console but whatever success it had was mostly built on the Halo games and if you can live with playing them on the PC, I don't see how you'll feel you missed out. Plus, the X360 had backward compatibility, so I can definitely live without the original XBox in my life, it was a good console but the 360 was where Microsoft set the world afire.

The 360 is backwards compatible. At least the early models were. I assume this is the case with the newer models as well. I believe there are a few XBOX games that will not play on the 360 though.

Yeah, like my MK Shaolin Monks. But those games are far and few in between.

I never owned the original Xbox either, but with family that did own it, it was close enough for me. Didn't get to lose days in Halo 2 like friends of mine may have, but I did get my fair share out of the original Xbox.

KOTOR if you didn't have it on PC. That is all the matters. OK, and Doom 3 if you didn't experience it on the PC. Both were just fantastic games of their generation, some of the best the system has to offer without a doubt.

I won't say you missed out on a lot. Especially if you owned another system instead of the original Xbox. A system such as the Playstation 2.

I know I missed Halo 1 and 2 (and from what I've heard, Halo 2 was incredible) but other than that, I don't really know what other games were available for the original Xbox.

Also, semi-related question, since I never really gave it any thought - does the 360 have backwards compatibility, or would I have to find an original Xbox too?

In my opinion, you weren't missing very much. Of course, I didn't play the original Xbox for very long before switching over to the 360. I do remember playing Halo 2 but that's one of the few that I can still remember.

Sorry I missed out on it because I too never had the chance to own one.

While I enjoyed it when I had the whole thing, I'd say you didn't miss much. It was around for a flash before the 360 popped up. That said, like everyone mentioned there were some great games on it.

It really was around for a flash, but in that flash some great games were released. Since it was a brand new console all the stuff on bar the multiplatform sports titles seemed new and magical. That was during the time when games were still the main focus of how good the console was before slowly sliding to how powerful it was and the hardware and eventually the emphasis on graphics now.

The Xbox was the best Microsoft console for exclusives in my opinion. It had Blinx, Halo, Shenmue II, Voodoo Vince, Fusion Frenzy, and the list goes on. The sixth generation really was a great time to be a gamer.

I never owned the original Xbox either but my uncle had two of them set up in different rooms and had them modded as he's an engineer so he did everything himself. It was awesome playing Forza2 and Halo against each other! We still have some competitions where we play each other and family members for real money haha! It's pretty awesome.

You honestly didn't miss much at all. Halo was the huge game that sold consoles, everything else was hit or miss. But seeing as there is the complete edition of halo for 360, I wouldn't bother.

Me neither, I was all into the Playstation back then. Xbox 360 stole my heart though, or more accurately the controller. It's really the main reason (other than my friends playing on Xbox Live) I went with Xbox.

The Xbox was a major part of my early teen years, providing wonderful memories on games like "Star Wars Battlefront" and "Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis". In my opinion, you missed a great era for console video games and I'm sad to say that for the most part it's over.

Back