Xbox 360 Is the Horror genre really dead?

kateric99

What do you think of it?
Personally, as a horror game fanatic, I feel really sad to realize horror games are becoming irrelevant.
I used to play the first Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, and boy, were those games good! And now it seems like they don't know what to do with those franchises!
The latest Resident Evil titles have been a disappointment for me. They completely forgot about the atmosphere, and now they look like a regular shooter.
Are you a horror fan? What do you think will happen to the genre?

I've never really been a horror fan but indeed, it does look like it's fairly dead... the latest Silent Hill was decent, I've heard, and there's still some games like the indie games Amnesia and Lone Survivor that manage to keep it kind of alive, but... I would say it's on life support at least.

I'm a horror fan.

I don't think it's entirely dead. I just think there hasn't been a developer who knows how to make something new. The genre has been played out quite a bit and in order to get anywhere, there needs to be a new element to scare people.

They are dying sadly :(
Silent hill downpour is very good though and it new out.
The graphics are great, the action is great, story line is immersive and the game is scary and the puzzles are satisfyingly challenging. It ticks all the right boxes for me.

I'm not a fan of that genre but I don't think it's dead. I played about five minutes of Dead Space 2 (literally, I was interrupted and never went back for some reason), so I'll just talk about Dead Space here.

DS was scary, and horrifying. For about twenty minutes. Right up until it became possible to die. Because then it was over, and you got thrown back into the action, and the body-horror wasn't... I don't know, but it never clicked for me. I just thought of the monsters as, well, monsters. And the scares weren't sudden; you expected them. "Okay, there's a corpse, and there's a vent... and there's the thing jumping out at me. Yep."

I don't think the horror genre is really dying. You have great games such as Resident Evil, Condemned, and Left 4 Dead. I may even consider the latest Walking Dead game as a horror game.

I'm not a fan of that genre but I don't think it's dead. I played about five minutes of Dead Space 2 (literally, I was interrupted and never went back for some reason), so I'll just talk about Dead Space here.
Well, that's the thing. Dead Space has, like Resident Evil, gone from survival horror to crazy action. This is something that has possibly happened because action sells better than survival horror, which is why indie games might be the way to go for survival horror. Indies have games like Home, Amensia, Lone Survivor and hell, there's even those Slenderman games out there, so the indies are still doing a good job with the genre but it's dead when it comes to mainstream gaming.

I don't think the horror genre is really dying. You have great games such as Resident Evil, Condemned, and Left 4 Dead. I may even consider the latest Walking Dead game as a horror game.

What I mean is they used to be a lot scarier than they are right now. It's a little like platform games - do you remember how each console had its own mascot and would release so many games revolving around those?
Those games used to be entertaining, but now they're not as much.
The same with horror games. I think the only game that really did deliver was Silent Hill Downpour. The latest Resident Evil games have been terrible, considering the first 3 or 4 RE games were something like masterpieces.

I don't think it's dead. I just think that people are not so scared of anything anymore. Most are desensitized so it is hard to shock and pull out all of the stops. I think there will be a resurgence in the horror genre in a few years from now. I look forward to that when more indie developers will put out some fresh new material.

I haven't seen any horror games that have recently been released, and most games that were horror have changed. Maybe it because younger kids are now starting to play games too. Although there are still some great horror games out there like 'Left 4 Dead', 'Dead Space' and even 'DOOM 3'. I don't really included the new 'Walking Dead' game to be a horror. So in short, I believe the Horror genre is dying, slowly.

No, the genre is pretty much alive. Survival horror games don't come out in droves like other genres but that doesn't mean that it's dead. There will always be an urge in every gamer to scare ourselves silly.

I am also a fan of horror games, and I concur that this generation has been fairly dry for the horror genre. I haven't tried Dead Space or Amnesia, but I've heard good things about both. Resident Evil turned into more of an action series, and Silent Hill has been "meh" this generation. I wouldn't say it's dead, but it could use a "savior" title that reinvents it, just as RE and SH did during the N64/PS1 era.

Definitely dieing. I heard the Walking Dead game is abismal. I like games that actually scare you while you're playing. Doom 3 was pretty good at this as were the old Resident Evil games, but the last one was terrible. Maybe with the next gen consoles the increased graphics will be better at scaring us?

Games like Amnesia used to be terrifying, and now horror games are so stupid that no even talks about them any more. When Dead Space and similar games came out, which are the closest you get to horror games nowadays, they were alright for about a week. I think F. E. A . R. Is the best horror game recently. But my God, there are some seriously rubbish ones out there, such as Rise Of Nightmares for the Xbox 360 Kinect.

Haven't seen many horror games come out recently, but I agree they are dying out.
They're not even scary anymore, just random popups. That's not the definition of scary.

Nope not dead, just lacking original creators. They need someone to come in and do and create some new things. I think it'd be a good idea for the gaming world to collaborate with Hollywood on some new ideas for horror gaming. Who knows what they could brainstorm up!:cool:

I wouldn't say "dead", but the genre, at least it's true definition, really took a backseat during modern gaming for some reason. But that could be said for many other genres, one of my favorites being the vertical and horizontal shooters.

They do appear from time to time, but they are just... eh, average comparing to the older ones!

I wouldn't say dead, but it's slowly getting there. What some publishers fail to realize that games like Resident Evil aren't "horror" but action. If you told me with a straight face that RE5 was scary, then I would probably call you a little girl. But seriously a horror game is one where sometimes the player is helpless or hard pressed to fight back against whatever the enemy is. For instance, Condemned Bloodshot has scarcely any reliable sources of guns, so you have to be cautious around every turn and cautious about every shot you take, and there are some games like Amnesia The Dark Descent where you can't fight back at all. There are some promising upcoming releases though, specifically a new Amnesia title.

I'm a huge horror fan and while I'm still holding out some hope for it not being dead altogether, it's gone depressingly downhill :(. No question.

Not a horror fan here but I dont think its dead. It just got much the hype before and people were talking about it much.

I knew a few friends who were still playing too much horror games and I also play RE once in a while.

Back