Xbox 360 Playing Xbox 360 on Old TVs

Epicfied

I'm trying to move my Xbox to my room rather than in the family room. The TV in my room does not have the red, yellow, white hook ups.
How do you play your 360 on an old TV? Does it change the quality?

I was looking into buying an adapter for the red-yellow-white to the coaxial.
However, I also found a cord that would be specifically for the Xbox.

I'm just trying to make it so I don't have to buy a new TV.

Update;
RF Modulars don't work for Xbox360s.

Last edited:
The coaxial would work fine there isnt going to be any difference in quality unless you are going from hd hook ups to standard, and the one made for the xbox as long it will connect to the tv you want it to it should be fine also.

The adapter should work fine.
I really hated having to play my 360 games on an old tv, I could barely read most of the text and it made games like Skyrim almost impossible to play. I guess it depends on how old the TV is, what games you are trying to play and how big the TV is. Mine wasn't really too small, it's just the quality on the old tube TV's is a little bit hard to deal with for me. Not because of the graphics or anything, but it's hard to see small details.

The coaxial would work fine there isnt going to be any difference in quality unless you are going from hd hook ups to standard, and the one made for the xbox as long it will connect to the tv you want it to it should be fine also.
Alright. I'm not switching form HD so hopefully it'll be fine. I just didn't want to buy the one for Xbox and be disappointed.

The adapter should work fine.
I really hated having to play my 360 games on an old tv, I could barely read most of the text and it made games like Skyrim almost impossible to play. I guess it depends on how old the TV is, what games you are trying to play and how big the TV is. Mine wasn't really too small, it's just the quality on the old tube TV's is a little bit hard to deal with for me. Not because of the graphics or anything, but it's hard to see small details.
My tv is a decent size... It's like on the line of old but really close to before they added extra hook ups.

You can definitely play the Xbox 360 on an old TV using an HDMI, or a special Xbox AV cable. You don't have to buy a new TV, but I would recommend it. One of 'em is on sale right now on Amazon, and it's a pretty good deal. Note that you cannot use the cable for something else, and it's exclusively built for the Xbox 360.

You can definitely play the Xbox 360 on an old TV using an HDMI, or a special Xbox AV cable. You don't have to buy a new TV, but I would recommend it. One of 'em is on sale right now on Amazon, and it's a pretty good deal. Note that you cannot use the cable for something else, and it's exclusively built for the Xbox 360.

There were other adapters I was looking at that would just adapt the Xbox cord, however, I wasn't sure how well it'd work.
Right now, I'd rather spend a under ten bucks on a new cord than a few hundred on a good tv... Especially since I'm working on building a computer.

Just an update for everyone because I did solve my problem.
I was going to buy an RF modular which I found to be around $30.
I lucked out and my mom had one stored away. I now have an RF modluar and it converts the audio video cable to the coaxial.

After playing thru an HDMI all these years...it's hard for me to go back on all those old connection. Tried a few months ago in hotel room with no HDTV while traveling...YEEEE! not looking good...got spoiled. Solution...I bought a small HD Projector, just need a blank wall, perfect...LUV it...game on.

I would rather not play, if I'm going to play and hurt my eyes. I remember playing RDR through on an old 20" CRT TV, and not being able to tell whether or not an animal was A: Bear or B: Rock C: Buffalo D: Horse. Hated every moment, on that TV. As soon as I got my new HDTV, I put RDR in. Didn't even plug in my cable.

As much as I enjoy the newer LCD/LED TVs with all of their HD glory, I absolutely can't play Guitar Hero on them. No matter how many times I try to calibrate, I can never play as well as I could on a SD TV. I also have no qualms playing on a tube TV in general, but I do appreciate HD as well.

My friend and I actually prefer playing on my HD computer monitor than my TV because of the quality difference, even in splitscreen. This is in spite of the fact that the TV is something like 32 inches, whereas the monitor is 21.5 inches. The difference from standard definition to HD is so great that it's actually clearer on a smaller screen because of it. Still, it's perfectly possible to play in standard definition; I find that newer games' text is more difficult to read, but it's possible.

There really isn't much of a difference whether you play it on an old television or a new one. Ofcourse the picture quality will not be as good as that of a newer television but this shouldn't bother the gameplay. If it does, try adjusting your settings on your television.

My friend and I actually prefer playing on my HD computer monitor than my TV because of the quality difference, even in splitscreen. This is in spite of the fact that the TV is something like 32 inches, whereas the monitor is 21.5 inches. The difference from standard definition to HD is so great that it's actually clearer on a smaller screen because of it. Still, it's perfectly possible to play in standard definition; I find that newer games' text is more difficult to read, but it's possible.

What kind of tv is it? I'm assuming standard definition of some sort.

well a new tv would be pretty useful right now. check to see if their are any converters available.

You can definitely play the Xbox 360 on an old TV using an HDMI, or a special Xbox AV cable. You don't have to buy a new TV, but I would recommend it.

Due to my budget, I had to sell my HDTV and now play games on a standard. It's almost impossible to play Skyrim or any game that has small or lightly colored text. And if you're a fan of the Mass Effect series or first person shooter multiplayer games... you might as well not even play them on a standard. But if you have games that doesn't have a lot of text read or has large text, games look pretty good. I'm gonna wait until I have enough money to buy a new HDTV during Super Bowl Weekend sale at a Best Buy or something. I need the high-def lol.

What kind of tv is it? I'm assuming standard definition of some sort.

Standard definition LCD, I think. A bit dated now, but decent for watching TV and all those things. I can play games on it alright, but I still prefer my HD monitor because of the finer details. I've only had my monitor for a couple of years so I've gotten used to HD graphics to the point where standard definition isn't good enough.

Are you trying to use component or composite cables with the RF modulator?

You need to have a composite cable for your Xbox to hook it up to an old TV. The cheapest way to hook up a 360 to an old TV is to go to Goodwill or any thrift store that has electronic devices and pick up a VCR for five bucks. Use the composite in on the VCR to get the signal from the Xbox, and use the coaxial out to send it to the old television. Most of my games looked fine on the old 19" television I was using, but Skyrim, for example, had text and console messages that could be very hard to read or slightly off screen. I don't mind how 8 and 16 bit games look on a HDTV, but I thought PlayStation games looked terrible.

You can use an adapter, but why not just save your money and buy a newer TV on craigslist? I'm not saying get the latest and greatest or even a flat screen. Just find someone listing their old TV for $20 (I like checking out moving sales) and jump on it! It's worth it! Your games look sooo much better!

You can use an adapter, but why not just save your money and buy a newer TV on craigslist? I'm not saying get the latest and greatest or even a flat screen. Just find someone listing their old TV for $20 (I like checking out moving sales) and jump on it! It's worth it! Your games look sooo much better!

I actually found the adapter around the house. We had one. However, it doesn't even work for the 360. I looked it up, it's something to do with it not being standard red, yellow, white cords.
I even tried using one of the first gen. Xbox cords.

I am saving up for a TV. I should be getting one from a family friend.

Back