Xbox One Skeptic about Killer Instinct

I will give KI credit and say it was more of a Killer Instinct game than Nuts and Bolts was a Banjo game. That isn't much credit, but there it is.

To me, this is another case where Microsoft and Rare should've just made a completely different game--the other being Nuts & Bolts. It plays and kinda looks like a Killer Instinct game, but something is missing. Most of the original Rare team left some time ago, prior to Nuts & Bolts actually.

oooh? Didn't know that. I always wondered why the Banjo series went from Nintendo to Microsoft before then I later found Rare actually got bought by Microsoft. Huh... guess some of those good original guys never stay too long when they get put into another company.

Yeah, what happened was people left Rare during the N64 era and the guys who owned Rare sold their controlling shares to Microsoft. Since Rare was producing quality even with encouragement, Nintendo just sold off their shares. The first wave of guys who left ended up forming Free Radical Design (eventually Crytek UK) and another group--the name escapes me--was formed after some guys left during the Microsoft-era.

There was some talk last year about it being Microsoft's fault that Rare sucks, but that's mostly Rare's fault.Nintendo saw that Rare was going downhill and just handed off the reigns to Microsoft for about $300M. The only thing that was Microsoft's fault was regulating them to doing mostly Kinect games, buying a hobbled developer, making them 1st party, and not encouraging them to put out their best like Nintendo did.

Always felt that Nintendo were simply throwing cargo overboard when they handed their side of Rare over to MS. I remember seeing an article some months ago about the inside of Rare HQ and there's a display with games from their glory years. Seemed kind of sad to have to walk past that and know you're going to just be working on Kinect names. There was a time (DKC specifically) that Nintendo were actually envious of what Rare could do with platformers.

Now Nintendo has Retro which is basically their Rare now. So it mostly worked out expect for not getting Banjo-Kazooie, Conkers, and Perfect Dark.

That seems to be the sentiment on Nintendo ditching Rare and Nintendo not getting those titles. Especially Banjo-Kazooie and Conkers. While Conkers is on the mature side, both series would fit in more along with Nintendo's stable of characters and series.

If Nintendo had managed to get those titles, by now we would've had Conker and Banjo in Smash Brothers.

Yeah just thinking about Rare stirs up huge nostalgia feelings for me. Donkey Kong Country, KI, Goldeneye, these games were my childhood.

That seems to be the sentiment on Nintendo ditching Rare and Nintendo not getting those titles. Especially Banjo-Kazooie and Conkers. While Conkers is on the mature side, both series would fit in more along with Nintendo's stable of characters and series.

You're so right bro. Thing is they should have stuck on the previous game's gameplay.

That's all they would've needed to do. Just do a fun, exciting platformer. Have everyone play through the Rare platformers on SNES and N64 if you need to, just try to keep it true to the series at least.

I like the changes they made to the game. A lot of improvement was made in all aspects. The game was not perfect but i felt that the fun factor was there.

Fighting games are always going to appeal to a limited audience -- and I don't know how many of those people find the playability of the game to extend beyond the first playthrough.

Back