Xbox One Time to worry about Kinect? Seems like it.

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
So Mark Serrels over at Kotaku has played the XBOX ONE along with the new Kinect 2.0 and his assessment does not sound good.

I’m worried about Kinect. Mere months from launch it feels imprecise, temperamental and clumsy. On more than one occasion its voice recognition, being demonstrated by a Microsoft rep from the US with an American accent, needed three or four repeats of ‘Xbox Home’ to do what a single button press could have done in half a second. If Microsoft reps who have been briefed and have lived with the Xbox One for months are struggling to make everything work seamlessly, what chance does the average punter have?

And make no mistake, a device like Kinect — the device Microsoft is hellbent on shoehorning into our living space — must be seamless if the Xbox One is to capture the mainstream audience Microsoft is lusting after. In short: I have very little confidence in Kinect’s ability to respond quickly, efficiently or consistently and that’s an issue. But the major issue is this: if you want to purchase an Xbox One, Kinect is being forced upon you. You are paying extra for a device that, two months from launch, feels like a rough, unfinished product. You don’t have a choice and that’s problematic.

While I will still need to play it for myself before ruling judgement, I'm beginning to lose optimism. We are a mere 2 months from launch and this isn't the first report like this I read which is worrisome. Granted they do still have some time left before launch, but with units already in product its not like they can improve the hardware. Is this even something a firmware update can fix? I guess we'll know more soon enough. Be sure to check out the article below since it goes into greater depth about the time spent with Kinect and Kinect Sports Rivals.

Source: Kotaku

To be honest, I'd need to read his and others' previous opinions of Kinect to really think about getting worried. If you are reading the write up of someone that never cared or had any good experiences with Kinect then it will just continue to be doomsday. But, if I tell you that I have it in my home, the same home where I used Kinect and these are the flaws, then you will be able to take that to the bank, because I'm in the same conditions and I have reasonable expectations for what it will and won't do.

This has been making the rounds today. Being from Kotaku I would almost immediately rule out this article. But the fact that there are a lot of other positive Kinect 2.0 articles out there, and one that has actual video of an IGN writer playing the game, I'm not worrying about it at all.

This has been making the rounds today. Being from Kotaku I would almost immediately rule out this article. But the fact that there are a lot of other positive Kinect 2.0 articles out there, and one that has actual video of an IGN writer playing the game, I'm not worrying about it at all.

Agreed.

Kotaku is widely known to write less than credible (biased) articles about Xbox news. I've seen countless demonstrations of the Kinect 2.0 working really really well.

I've played some kinect games before on 360 and it worked fine. It is just the voice recognition aspect that is having problems or are there issues with playing games as well?

I'm not that worried. I've been hearing positive things about the Kinect system so far. Honestly, I have problems with most voice recognition software anyways because of my southern accent, so I wasn't planning on using it that much anyways.

I'm hopeful. This is coming from a girl that never is able to use the voice recognition on V1 to stop a movie on Netflix, whereas my hubby always can. He actually laughs at me when I jokingly lower my voice to talk like a man to see if the Kinect will listen to me. Also, having used the workout programs, well they are okay at tracking movement, but still not amazing. I'm really hoping all of this is fixed on V2. I guess we will just have to see!

I can't imagine Microsoft forcing equipment such as the Kinect into every model unless they had a better product than the one described in the above article.

I had issues on a few of the games but I think it was the way they set up the menu. I'm hoping it's been improved and will wait and see for myself I guess.

So Mark Serrels over at Kotaku has played the XBOX ONE along with the new Kinect 2.0 and his assessment does not sound good.

While I will still need to play it for myself before ruling judgement, I'm beginning to lose optimism. We are a mere 2 months from launch and this isn't the first report like this I read which is worrisome. Granted they do still have some time left before launch, but with units already in product its not like they can improve the hardware. Is this even something a firmware update can fix? I guess we'll know more soon enough. Be sure to check out the article below since it goes into greater depth about the time spent with Kinect and Kinect Sports Rivals.

Source: Kotaku

To be fair, until the product is released, and all final software updates have been installed. I don't consider nick pick reviews about any product until it's actually released to the public.

This is one guy after 10 minutes vs countless reports and videos of people being impressed with the technology.

What this article is describing is something worse than kinect 1.

This is one guy after 10 minutes vs countless reports and videos of people being impressed with the technology.

What this article is describing is something worse than kinect 1.

Agreed.

Kotaku is widely known to write less than credible (biased) articles about Xbox news. I've seen countless demonstrations of the Kinect 2.0 working really really well.

To be honest, I'd need to read his and others' previous opinions of Kinect to really think about getting worried. If you are reading the write up of someone that never cared or had any good experiences with Kinect then it will just continue to be doomsday. But, if I tell you that I have it in my home, the same home where I used Kinect and these are the flaws, then you will be able to take that to the bank, because I'm in the same conditions and I have reasonable expectations for what it will and won't do.

I agree with all of you about Kotaku's reviews being slanted in one direction. I generally avoid the site, but this article came up in my news feed. I would like to point to a different article from Shack News that does share some worried in the Kinect department:
There are some kinks in the system, but given the early nature of the software demoed, these are things that can be remedied before the console's November launch. Facial recognition shows promise, but it seemed sluggish. However, being able to simply sit in front of your console and have the system automatically sign you in certainly sounds cool. Kinect's voice recognition also seems spotty, with the console seemingly recognizing commands that weren't said. In its early state, "Dismiss" had to be used more often than it should. (Microsoft's Albert Penello also points out that the word "Xbox" tends to be used more often in these demos than a typical household--but the microphone still picked up commands even when he didn't mention "Xbox.") In spite of the Kinect-related quirks, the new Xbox One dashboard impresses with its new features and cleaner design. And with nary an ad in sight (for now), it looks to be a marked improvement over the 360 UI.

It just seems a bit odd for the live demos to be this buggy, when manufacturing is well under way. I of course have high hope in a day one fix via an update, but that's not to say part of me isn't worried. I'll include a link to the full article below.

Source: Shack News

Find me multiple independent sources giving similar reports and I'll be worried. Otherwise? Technology always has a failure rate.

Find any piece of tech out there that doesn't have a handful of people screaming that it doesn't work. It does not exist. There's always failures or just strange circumstances.

I was never a Kinect fan to be honest, but they are forcing ot on us this time around. They have to give up on it sooner rather than later like they did with Games For Windows Live.

I'm a bit more disappointed that I'm forced to pay for the Kinect rather than what it does or doesn't do seamlessly. I've never had a Kinect, never wanted a Kinect, never needed a Kinect. With the One, however, the TV functions and other features are tied to the Kinect automatically. Now, Microsoft has said you don't HAVE to ever use your Kinect if you don't want to. Everything should still work with regular button presses.

But that extra $100 you have to pay because they want you to have it is what bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge mark for the Xbox One. I loved the press conferences and all the announcements about what the system could do besides play games. And I still am. But the Kinect has never had me excited to use. I've been intrigued by the TECH behind it and what other things it could be capable of, but not for my games.

Kotaku may be biased, but they have a legitimate point. IF the Kinect has major issues at launch, Microsoft could be in trouble. We're all aware of the RROD. People bring it up to this day to explain their love for Sony even if it doesn't occur any longer. Gamers are an unforgiving bunch with memories like elephants. :)

Kotaku may be biased, but they have a legitimate point. IF the Kinect has major issues at launch, Microsoft could be in trouble. We're all aware of the RROD. People bring it up to this day to explain their love for Sony even if it doesn't occur any longer. Gamers are an unforgiving bunch with memories like elephants. :)

We would take their point as legitimate if it wasn't for the fact that almost everyone else who has gotten in front of the new Kinect has said differently. And went so far as to be filmed in front of the Kinect to show how cool it is.

I am highly HIGHLY doubting there will be issues at launch. And the game that this guy was playing was pushed back from launch, so it's not going to be an issue at launch anyway.

That sounds concerning, especially this part of the quote:

"I have very little confidence in Kinect’s ability to respond quickly, efficiently or consistently and that’s an issue. But the major issue is this: if you want to purchase an Xbox One, Kinect is being forced upon you. You are paying extra for a device that, two months from launch, feels like a rough, unfinished product. You don’t have a choice and that’s problematic. "

Gaming is all about precision. If the motion sensor technology isn't lightning fast in terms of relaying one's movements into the game then we are going to have some serious issues. It's not going to prevent me from buying One but this is really disappointing to hear. They should have the technology nearly perfected within two months of the launch date.

I think you need to understand that the technology they are trying to create is just not reliable at this point, specially when you are trying to create a budget gadget that they already know it's not going to do so well. You will need 10 or 15 years more for voice recognition to work as intended.

Maybe, the voice recognition kind of grows on to you? maybe learning your speech patterns and getting better overtime?

I think you need to understand that the technology they are trying to create is just not reliable at this point, specially when you are trying to create a budget gadget that they already know it's not going to do so well. You will need 10 or 15 years more for voice recognition to work as intended.

Or.........

https://www.xboxforums.com/threads/6480

Back