Xbox One Time to worry about Kinect? Seems like it.

the more kinect gets used the more the servers and microsoft will be able to do updates or fix the bugs.

i have said it for months. the kinect 2.0 wont feel great out the box. it will feel better than the first version but i dont expect leaps and bounds till 2 years from now. it has not been pushed by any developer and is barley used as more than a voice box via netflix.

this time around its microsofts baby. its part of the tv tuner and various parts of the home screen/navigation. we have all seen the mechanics of it in action with following/tracking joints heartbeat,blood flow and all that. i still think its a great peice of hardware but i due time.

if you think kinect2.0 is bad what do you think sony's is like???? i bet you its on par with v1.5 of kinect so take it with a grain of salt use it let them build the coding and get the bugs worked out.

The limitations are there, no question....but to what extent will it really effect precision? That's the key, really. I think there are ways to work around the limitations, will they be done so soon? I don't know.

You have to expect some issues, but considering the hype this device has been given you'd expect better. This close to launch you don't want to hear that the mandatory add-on is acting up. When combined with what has been said about the original Kinect it should be at least somewhat worrying. That said there is a possibility - the Cloud might be what the device needs. The only problem of course with that idea is that not everyone is going to have the Cloud so ... things could be a serious mixed bag.

This is one of the main reasons I cancelled my preorder. Kinect was an absolute flop for the XBOX, and should've been recalled.

I bought the fiance one for christmas of 2010, and haven't used it since.

If you don't have a massive living room, it's useless. I would be standing 7 feet from the unit and it's 3 feet off the floor and I can't bowl.... Not to mention I'm only 5'11". Again, it should have been recalled. And it's one of the main reasons I cancelled my preorder. If it has to be plugged in for the system to work, count me out. I'll hang on to the 360 which they've confirmed 5 years of support for. They try to integrate it so badly into their games and it's always been a piece of trash. If I wanted a Wii, I'd buy one. It should be an accessory, because it's that at best.

Recalled because you didn't have a good experience with it? Yeah no. I've had zero issues using it, and neither has my 8 year old who isn't even close to 5'11" in a space 10x12.

If you cancelled your preorder, why are you here? This is a thing I don't understand. Why so many people not buying an Xbox One stay on Xbox One forums?

This is one of the main reasons I cancelled my preorder. Kinect was an absolute flop for the XBOX, and should've been recalled.

I bought the fiance one for christmas of 2010, and haven't used it since.

If you don't have a massive living room, it's useless. I would be standing 7 feet from the unit and it's 3 feet off the floor and I can't bowl.... Not to mention I'm only 5'11". Again, it should have been recalled. And it's one of the main reasons I cancelled my preorder. If it has to be plugged in for the system to work, count me out. I'll hang on to the 360 which they've confirmed 5 years of support for. They try to integrate it so badly into their games and it's always been a piece of trash. If I wanted a Wii, I'd buy one. It should be an accessory, because it's that at best.

First off your information is outdated since the Kinect no longer needs to be connected; that was announced a while back now. 2nd I have a mid size living room and never had an issue with it. We played Kinect Sports and my wife played Zumba Fitness with no issues at all. We now live in an apartment with a smaller living room and still no issues. Granted their lack of big name games was a bit of a miss for the sensor. From the millions of units sold you're the first person I hear say the sensor was "broken" and needed to be recalled. I know it had its downfalls, but the idea of it needing to be recalled is ludicrous. I also don't see it being enough of an issue for a cancelled pre-order unless you had your doubts about the console beforehand. Considering all the neat additions to what the Kinect can do, like QR reading and IR Blasting I think its well worth the additional money. An IR blaster alone would run just as much. Not to mention dashboard navigation and voice controlled tv. Just my opinion though.

From the article:
"I have very little confidence in Kinect’s ability to respond quickly, efficiently or consistently and that’s an issue. But the major issue is this: if you want to purchase an Xbox One, Kinect is being forced upon you. You are paying extra for a device that, two months from launch, feels like a rough, unfinished product. You don’t have a choice and that’s problematic. "

Statements like that coming from a would-be respected game journalist is why I don't put too much emphasis in Kotaku articles. The journalist is inferring that 2 months from launch it's not going to work well and it will be a waste of $100. First of all, there's no proof that the extra $100 is /just/ the Kinect. Secondly, there's no proof it's not going to work 2 months after launch, in fact we've seen the exact opposite 2 months BEFORE launch. :)

Last time I checked the Wii forced you to get a wireless remote control with the purchase of every single Wii, even if you weren't going to use it. Look how that ended up? Best selling console of this generation. Hardly a problematic experience in the past, why would it be any different for something as advanced as Kinect 2.0?

For me, the only issues I've ever had with Kinect 1.0 (on my Xbox 360) were: A) Trouble tracking me during workout games (Jillian's work out...) when doing push-ups. And B) Voice commands in Netflix specifically rarely work for me or my Wife (Netflix app in general sucks for us, crashing a lot, loses sound, etc). All other apps/games/experiences with the Kinect have been positive.

We also are in a small to medium sized room, with about 7 feet of space between the TV and the edge of the couch.

And there was no time in which the Kinect wasn't a part of the console. Not from the minute they revealed the console to this very moment. So why would you even pre-order it in the first place???

Good point and something overly untouched in the news media. Think of Kinect as a required controller. I know I've touched on this a lot over on IGN in the past, but bare with me here....

For the past 30+ years of console gaming we've been enjoying the same 4 fundamental pieces of the puzzle:

1) TV
2) Console
3) Controller
4) Player.

For the first time in 30 years, Microsoft is adding a new fundamental piece of the console gaming puzzle, Kinect.

1) TV,
2) Console
3) Controller
4) Player
5) Kinect

Finally a company has the balls to try something new and break out of the mold we've been using for the past 3 decades. This is very very exciting and it's easy to tell from both Microsoft's financial and public relations investment that they are confident in the Kinect 2.0.

If Microsoft can somehow pull off the success of the Kinect 2.0 and developers embrace it (which looks like they have been positive about it so far), well let's just say I'd hate to be Microsoft's competition in the game console industry for next gen. :)

Yes I agree, nothing is really perfect. I mean you have to remember it is technology, which is steadily growing. The more you fiddle with something, the more tweaks you can make. You will have to use the Kinect 2.0 for yourself, before you pass any judgement.

Recalled because you didn't have a good experience with it? Yeah no. I've had zero issues using it, and neither has my 8 year old who isn't even close to 5'11" in a space 10x12.

If you cancelled your preorder, why are you here? This is a thing I don't understand. Why so many people not buying an Xbox One stay on Xbox One forums?
I'm psyched that your kid had a good time with it, by let's get an opinion from someone who actually might take video games a little more seriously than an 8 year old.

And I'm here because I will get an xbox one, just not at release. And as I've stated several times here, because all of the other forums are dead. Next gen has a lot more chatter than the old gen when next gen is a month from release.

I'm psyched that your kid had a good time with it, by let's get an opinion from someone who actually might take video games a little more seriously than an 8 year old..

Then take mine. The Kinect has been really good for games like Skyrim, Forza, and Madden.

And since my 8 year old is an avid gamer, his opinion is the reason I am getting an Xbox One. And I know he takes his gaming just as serious as you do.

I'm psyched that your kid had a good time with it, by let's get an opinion from someone who actually might take video games a little more seriously than an 8 year old.

And I'm here because I will get an xbox one, just not at release. And as I've stated several times here, because all of the other forums are dead. Next gen has a lot more chatter than the old gen when next gen is a month from release.

Well it's equally as hard to take your opinion seriously when you think a piece of hardware needs to be recalled just because you had a poor experience even though the poor experience was not due to a technical malfunction of the device. It's one thing to say something as hyperbole, which maybe was your intention, but I just haven't heard any other reports of the device misbehaving to the pint of this being a rational solution.

Wait, so this is news? "imprecise, temperamental and clumsy" are the same words that I would sue to describe the original Kinect. It was a great idea that wasn't well executed. Maybe the technology just isn't there yet. I'm surprised that Microsoft is still riding with Kinect.

Back