What is your general attitude toward downloadable content (DLC)?

I'm generally happy with the DLC, as long as I'm paying for stuff that's extra, rather than stuff that should already be in the game. For example things like map packs are good because it's additional content that you can choose to get if you want to, but you don't need it to still enjoy the game. But things that directly make more powerful are bad, for example a better gun that you have to pay for is not good at all. I think that the general DLC model is good where instead of a large £10 expansion pack you can pick and choose from a series of smaller DLC's, but there is a very thing line between good and bad content and most devs sadly cross that boundary.

One thing I'm annoying about is the Injustice: Gods Among Us DLC. I bought the season pass ahead of time to get 4 characters for the price of 3, which was completely my choice. However, they purposely excluded one of the most popular DC characters, Martian Manhunter, from the game, and later announced he would be downloadable content. Only, he's the 5th DLC character, meaning he isn't included in the season pass. But you know who was?

Scorpion.

I'm generally happy with the DLC, as long as I'm paying for stuff that's extra, rather than stuff that should already be in the game. For example things like map packs are good because it's additional content that you can choose to get if you want to, but you don't need it to still enjoy the game. But things that directly make more powerful are bad, for example a better gun that you have to pay for is not good at all. I think that the general DLC model is good where instead of a large £10 expansion pack you can pick and choose from a series of smaller DLC's, but there is a very thing line between good and bad content and most devs sadly cross that boundary.

I'm completely agree with this. I personally love downloadable content but it really depends on the developer. Some give incredible value while others give you the nickle and dime feeling.

I just got the DLC for Borderlands 2, and so far it's excellent. Definitely worth the price, even if I hadn't gotten it during the Steam sale for 66% off. I wish the DLC for console games would go on sale more often, since they hardly ever do as it is (and when DLC does go on sale, it's usually for games I don't have/play).

I just got the DLC for Borderlands 2, and so far it's excellent. Definitely worth the price, even if I hadn't gotten it during the Steam sale for 66% off. I wish the DLC for console games would go on sale more often, since they hardly ever do as it is (and when DLC does go on sale, it's usually for games I don't have/play).

i was just jamming out to bl2... had a good group of match guys playing... the dlc for the game is great it actually adds story line and content unlike allot of other games.. i hate some of the updates it is adding to the game for loningevity where it should have been in place before

I think good DLC should either add to the story, add playable characters (or add to existing characters considerably), add new modes, or some combination of those. I can understand wanting to buy new maps, but they're just so overpriced as it is and add very little. I also prefer DLC that takes a while to complete rather than something expensive that only lasts an hour or two.

As an extra if I am going to pay for it, it better be worth it. Now I know some gamers have a difference of opinion when it comes to what we are willing to pay for, but I think we all want our "moneys worth". The problem comes when some places end up just giving a little, like the difference between a bite of pie and a slice of pie. If I am paying for a slice, that is exactly what I want, not a bite.

I don't mind it if it is done well and not sold for too much. If a game gets DLC that is created well and adds a good amount of new content long enough after release that I can understand it.
It's things like Day 1 DLC that doesn't make any sense at all, if you're able to release DLC the day the game is launched then you must be able to put it on the game or patch it for free. Another thing is having content locked on the disc and being made to purchase it later at a different time, which just bugs the crap out of me. Examples of DLC that is dumb would be things like the infamous Horse Armor and then Call of Duty map packs. DLC that add's a couple hours to the story or backstory at a low cost of maybe $10 bucks would have to be the best deal.

Examples of DLC that is dumb would be things like the infamous Horse Armor and then Call of Duty map packs. DLC that add's a couple hours to the story or backstory at a low cost of maybe $10 bucks would have to be the best deal.

B-bu-but... horses with armor dude?/JK Seriously though I think I laughed pretty hard at my friend when he popped that one up. I mean I can't see the point in spending real money for something so stupid. That said I do like Call of Duty map packs, because I like sniping people. It amuses me greatly and I just can't help it. Overall, I do agree with you but I can't really build a level of outrage regarding Day 1 stuff. You don't have to buy it, and they are under no obligation to give it. It's an extra not a gimme.

I said something similar about Borderlands 2 costumes, but I still ended buying several. To be fair, though, during Steam's summer sale, each pack was like 33 cents. I can't really justify paying a couple of dollars for a virtual item that you can't even see (it IS a first-person shooter, after all). I kind of regret buying Darth Vader for Soul Calibur IV, not because he wasn't a cool (and fun to play) character, but because the game got so ridiculously difficult that I barely played it, and that was just another $5 down the drain.

I like DLCs for the fact that it'd extra game play for a game I love. However, some games make their games shorter to force the player to buy DLCs.
DLCs can get really expensive as well. If you pay $60 for a game, then you pay an extra say $30 total on a few DLCs, you're close to $100 AND there are probably more coming out.
So generally, I like DLCs because who doesn't like extra content? But I don't like game developers trying to get players to just toss in more money after costing so much anyway.

I like DLC most of the time. Assuming it's not abused. The problem is that most of the time many of the game companies use it as a way to fragment their games and nickel and dime their customers. And it's at the point they've done it with things that were normally free past generations such as fighting game character colors and costumes. And sadly, I expect it to get worse next generation.

If it's done well, I think DLC is a great idea and a fantastic way to keep people playing a game they already love. Unfortunately, DLC is so often just an obvious and shameless money-grab that it's hard to trust the developers, which makes me super cynical about buying any DLC.

Battlefield 3 had the best season pass in 'Premium' ever. I will be getting a season pass for Battlefield 4 if it is available. It has been almost 2 years and I still play Battlefield 3 pretty often.

I have been pretty happy with the season passes for the COD games also, lots of content on offer.

I have never bought any DLC that I wasn't happy with, and as others have said, I am glad it is available for the games that I like.

Honestly, companies like Capcom and Tecmo Koei are the ones that give DLC the bad rap it has. DLC should honestly only be used to add MEANINGFUL content to a game that was otherwise halted by time constraints. What makes it really bad now is that companies literally plan DLC before games even hit the market. As far as I'm concerned, if they had time to plan it, then they had time to add it in before release.

In general I guess I would say I really dislike PAID DLC, not that I don't buy DLC on occasion. I'm not sure if anyone else played ME2 on pc but there were actually a few free DLC's that just added a little bit to the game which was nice I think.
Also I don't mind paying for some DLC if it adds to the game in a significant way such as to story, example Harley Quinn's Revenge in Arkham City. But when it's a map pack such as COD or the dreaded Horse Armor of Oblivion is really when I can't say I'm too fond of it.

For me, it all depends on how it's done. A lot of times, developers will release DLC that easily could have been included on the disc version of the game. Along with that, companies will milk the DLC for all it's worth even though the majority of the time it isn't worth it. The only DLC I have ever purchased was the Arcade Edition upgrade to Super Street Fighter IV. Other than that, I don't really purchase DLC.

Paid DLC isn't exactly the problem for me. It's if the paid DLC is something that should have been free and/or included from the start that I have a problem with. And it's worse when day 1 dlc is planned and they readily announce it like that's a good thing.

The one thing about Day 1 DLC is that printing happens on a schedule - you can't just delay that because you want some more stuff on the disc. There really are actual practical reasons for the usage of Day 1 DLC - and I just don't buy it. I don't know I guess I just don't care enough about it to be so angry over it.

I like DLC. It helps keep the games interesting for people who replay them over and over.

Back