What is your general attitude toward downloadable content (DLC)?

I actually enjoy the idea of downloadble content for games, even if all we are really doing is "unlocking" the content that was already included with the disc. If it wasn't for DLC, then most of the games that we know and love would have become old and stale quite a long time ago. It also shows that the developers are interested in their product as well as their costumers. However, quality and quantity are also important. If they simple released a a small map pack that isn't that great to begin with, then that would look bad on them.

For me I like it. Ever since the first DLC i ever downloaded, which was for KOTOR on the Xbox, I have looked at it as expanding my game exp. Yeah it may cost money but if I like the game, then I want to keep playing it. Its like Mass Effect for me, I have got ALL the DLC's for all 3 games because I am into that universe so much that I want more.

Well I guess it depends on the type of content they're releasing as a DLC. If it's a legitimate story expansion then I am all for it and am ready to pay top dollar.

But if it's just a few more customization options or map packs for 10$ or something then no way in hell am I buying it!

Reactions: Guy
I hate it so much that i love it.
Yes, it's more content, but for the love why didn't they just delayed the game and put everything in there already?
"Oh, but i want to play the game sooner and it ends up being cheaper!", No! Just no! If you are buying it new you are going to pay full price plus the dlc, which ain't never cheap. And if you end up waiting for the price to drop, you could wait for them to pack everything into the core game.

The only reason i get so butthurt about this is that because i want to play my games 10 years from now one without having to think: Well, this game used to have so pretty cool content, but the company went bankrupt and the content was taken off the store or the network is shutdown forever so i am the one who has to deal with a game that doesn't have everything!

I rarely buy DLC for games, I see it as a waste of money. There's usually around 4-5 DLC for a game which adds up to around $100. You're basically buying the game twice. I'll only purchase DLC only if the content is worth it, such as new features that make the game more enjoyable to play. If it's just new maps, I won't even spend a dime.

DLC would have been a boon to the industry if companies didn't use it as an excuse to ship half completed games or as a chance to milk us. The idea of DLC wasn't ruined by concept. It was ruined by corporate greed.

Downloadable content has suffered from exploitation. In my opinion consumerism poisoned it to the point where we see things like "Buy new skins! Buy new maps! Buy new hats!" scrolling across the bottom of the menus like they were relevant information or something.

DLC, ideally, would be more utilized for something like new game modes, new story lines, or new characters. Something that feels like an extension of the game and not a layer of make-up. It has to feel like it's worth paying extra money for, and unfortunately a lot of the times it just isn't.

I still have an issue with paying to play online anyway to be honest as we already pay more than enough for the console and games, but seeing as we HAVE to pay to go online, Microsoft should just offer one scheme like Sony do with the Playstation. You pay one amount, and that allows access to whatever you want and they need to do away with different prices for different plans.

I was never a fan of DLC's until Rockstar started churning there DLC's out for GTA V. Not only are they free, they are downright incredible. It seems like their is new race tracks, cars, weapons and outfits being launched daily and makes a semi-old game feel brand new again. I am absolutely loving what Rockstar is doing with their content lately, I wish all games and companies would follow suit.

Well I would like to say that I am getting more and more used to it, but it is still a little bit of a change for me. If given the choice I still go with the physical copy, just because that seems like the safe bet for me should something happen. I have not had any issues quite yet, but given my luck it will happen at the most inopportune time, so I am not holding my breath.

But if it's just a few more customization options or map packs for 10$ or something then no way in hell am I buying it!

I agree with you, DLC is just another way for the company to rip people off. Instead of them making $70 dollars of a new release, they choose not to put something in the game that they could've put in it and now sell it for ridiculous prices like tracks for $5 dollars or something like that.

Now they have the potential to make $100 dollars a game or more. Damn capitalist.

I can not remember the last time I paid for any DLC. I am sure I have but I can't exactly remember when. If it is free I will definitely download it. As with purchasing the game to begin with I will wait for a sale. These are quite common and there is absolutely no reason to pay full price to get a game or additional playable content or items. I can wait a few weeks and pick it up on the cheap!

I take a wait and see approach towards all but my select few most trusted publishers/series.

I have never had a problem with DLC either. I understand the reasons behind that strategy and I support it.

Back